Windows 10: Windows profile user name

Discus and support Windows profile user name in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by YSYang, Jan 2, 2022.

1. YSYang Win User

Windows profile user name

I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10 chars of the MS account? This should reduce the chance that multiple users have the same profile name.

:)

YSYang, Jan 2, 2022
  2. v444 Win User

script to delete users profile

A1- i guess local. (please check the attachment,i'm following those steps to do it, if it helps you to figure out if it's on PC or local)
    A2- no i don't need logs.

Full user delete.docx

v444, Jan 2, 2022
  3. DSD
    DSD Win User
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

4. Windows profile user name

User Name

Hi Bradford,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to have your name instead of email address at login screen.
    If you are using Microsoft account for logging to the system then it will be hard to remove email address and show your name only. However, if you want then you may create new user profile as a local account with administrator permission. In this account
    you may keep the name you want.

For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 2, 2022
Thema:

Windows profile user name

1. Windows profile user name - Similar Threads - profile user name

2. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  3. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  4. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  5. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  6. Windows 10 User Profile Name not getting updated with Microsoft Account Profile Name

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 User Profile Name not getting updated with Microsoft Account Profile Name: Hello All, I have recently bought a PC and started setting up with multiple family members as users. When I try to add my user using the Outlook Account, I saw I am using *** Email address is removed for privacy *** as my sign in id for Outlook. So I have created an alias...
  7. Display Name vs Profile user name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Display Name vs Profile user name?: I created a local user account during the Windows 10 installation process and that username which I created are a mix of letters and numbers which is also displayed on the Windows logon screen. Is there way to add my First and Last name as the display name to the Windows...
  8. Windows 10. User Names, Profiles.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10. User Names, Profiles.: Windows 10 ... Experts. I have a very simple Question. On a Brand New Computer when I first turn it on and establish a User ID John D. Administrator Account. Windows 10 Creates the Original Users Folder John D. Then I give the Computer to a Friend, and he changes the...
  9. User Profile Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  10. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824