Windows 10: Windows programs are lagging but without CPU or memory overload

Discus and support Windows programs are lagging but without CPU or memory overload in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there. My work desktop (Dell) is relatively new (~1 year old), with a reasonable amount of RAM (16 GB). It has recently begun to exhibit some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Andrew Yool, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Windows programs are lagging but without CPU or memory overload

Hi there.

My work desktop (Dell) is relatively new (~1 year old), with a reasonable amount of RAM (16 GB).

It has recently begun to exhibit some serious lagging (sometimes > 10 seconds), typically involving programs like Word, Outlook and Explorer. During these episodes, I am still able to move my cursor and to ALT-TAB to see Task Manager, and I'm unable to see anything untoward from that . My CPU use is low, and I've a lot of spare RAM going, so I shouldn't be experiencing any swap-space issues (my first thought). It's also clear that, although being unresponsive, that my machine is still remembering what I'm doing. For example, when typing, Word will appear to hang, only for sentences to suddenly appear fully formed after the period of lag ends.

My IT support is all for re-imaging my PC, but as I'd then have to set up the software packages that aren't in the image, I'm reluctant to do this. And certainly so when the cause of my problem is otherwise completely unresolved (i.e. I have no confidence that it won't return afterwards).

While I've had laggy machines before, this has almost always happened with old machines, and those struggling with memory and swap-space issues. Neither of which apply to my current machine. One significant thing that I am doing with my new machine is making use of a corporate OneDrive account to sync almost all of my own documents, etc. This makes home-working much easier, but it does involve a few hundred GB of files. I've already noticed OneDrive issues around saving files to recently created folders on my PC that have yet to be synced. Although these folders are on my PC's own hard-disk, it behaves as if they're not fully available until after they're synced, before which it stops me from saving files there and is generally annoying.

In any case, I may be completely off-base with my suspicion of OneDrive, but I am after any advice on ways I can try to narrow down what might be to blame for my PC's lagging. I'd be much happier getting a re-image if I had a better idea of what's behind my problems, so any tips on either what might be causing my problems, or how I can go about sleuthing the cause, would be brilliant.

Cheers!

:)

Andrew Yool, Sep 19, 2019

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Sep 19, 2019
  3. CPU Overload

Hi there,

My CPU reaches near 100% whenever I open a browser, regardless of the browser. It opens up a dozen or so processes and slows the system down. I've followed the various wikis on MS Answers, and have ran a trace. In the wiki, it mentions
    uploading the Trace report to Onedrive and linking here for analysis, which is here: DESKTOP-FM1NJUN.10-29-2018.19-37-06.zip

If there is anything else I can do, it'd be great if I was pointed in the right direction. (I disabled superfetch, ran various integrity scans via CMD).

Many thanks in advance,

Mr. CPU Overload

CPUOverload, Sep 19, 2019
  4. Jose Est Win User

Windows programs are lagging but without CPU or memory overload

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Sep 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows programs are lagging but without CPU or memory overload

1. Windows programs are lagging but without CPU or memory overload - Similar Threads - programs are lagging

2. problem regarding CPU and RAM Memory overloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem regarding CPU and RAM Memory overloads: After recent update of windows 11. I come to know a issue regarding to cpu overloads .Due to more number of powershell processes is running in sytem with higher sizes which consumes approx 100% of memory and the system getting hanged. What can be the solution of this problrm...
  3. problem regarding CPU and RAM Memory overloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem regarding CPU and RAM Memory overloads: After recent update of windows 11. I come to know a issue regarding to cpu overloads .Due to more number of powershell processes is running in sytem with higher sizes which consumes approx 100% of memory and the system getting hanged. What can be the solution of this problrm...
  4. High CPU usage and BSOD when overloading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU usage and BSOD when overloading: Today suddenly something started to use High cpu in task manager and visibly very slowed overall unable to do anything etc. opening tabs or starting games. When i checked whats going on with some helpfull apps i've seen in the reports its chrome and svchost "errors" and high...
  5. High CPU usage and BSOD when overloading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage and BSOD when overloading: Today suddenly something started to use High cpu in task manager and visibly very slowed overall unable to do anything etc. opening tabs or starting games. When i checked whats going on with some helpfull apps i've seen in the reports its chrome and svchost "errors" and high...
  6. PC CPU Overload

PC CPU Overload: A couple of weeks ago I was using my PC, it was fine. The next day I went on the PC to play a video game, I got a bunch of pop-ups like the usual but something was different. I couldn't move my mouse, I realized that my screen had frozen and so I hard reset it. I opened it...
  7. cpu overload

cpu overload: windows 10 maxes-out cpu usage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-overload/2c06db73-ba3b-4c5a-850f-3659e4d74f91
  8. Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender advanced scan extreme cpu overload: I routinely do Windows defender advanced scans. Up until about 2 weeks ago, that is. All of a sudden the scan was completely maxing out my cpu. I wouldn't say it crashed the computer, but if I tried to do the simplest task while it was running, it rendered the machine...
  9. PC memory overloads and other issues.

PC memory overloads and other issues.: So, I've been using PC's for seven years now, and I've been able to fix every problem I've ever had, but this one baffles me. I seriously can't find what is wrong. I've virus tested, run troubleshoots, the whole nine yards. Let me get this out there: This is the first time...
  10. CPU Overload

CPU Overload: Hi there, My CPU reaches near 100% whenever I open a browser, regardless of the browser. It opens up a dozen or so processes and slows the system down. I've followed the various wikis on MS Answers, and have ran a trace. In the wiki, it mentions uploading the Trace report...