Windows 10: Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader

Discus and support Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Recently we deployed some MS updates to our users KB4601056, KB4601315, KB4601395 and anyone using a smart card reader is now being prompted regularly... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Francis Horton, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader

Recently we deployed some MS updates to our users KB4601056, KB4601315, KB4601395 and anyone using a smart card reader is now being prompted regularly to connect a smart card device. I have done a lot of searching and most of the fixes involve disabling the Smart Card reader in the GPO or other extreme measures, but I need the readers to work. There are a couple users who have received replacement computers and in the reimaged machines there has not been any issues with the readers. I will also point out that not all my users experiencing this use smart card readers, but are being prompted nevertheless. Some use ActivClient for online credentialing which doesn't require a reader or smart card. Windows Hello is not deployed to our users, smart cards are being used to access government websites

The current test I'm conducting is turning off the Smart Card service in services to see if that at least stops the popup messages. Credentials for the affected users I'm working with have been web cleared, and browser caches cleared as well. Disabling in the GPO doesn't work at all and the message keeps coming up.

The affected users are able to work overall, but it's becoming a nuisance to have to hide the popup as canceling out doesn't make it go away. I have rolled back the regular update on one user KB4601056 but the issue remained after a reboot. I have updated drivers and uninstalled/reinstalled through device manager, reinstalled ActivClient drivers, run sfc scan, nothing seems to make this go away while maintaining functionality. And while reimage/replacement seems to work, I have 70 potential users affected by this and I don't know why. Any help would be appreciated

:)

Francis Horton, Mar 17, 2021

2. Office smart card reader not prompting for PIN

Hi,

I use a smart card reader along with a smart card provided by my employer. It had been working fine but all of a sudden it stopped working a few days back. Now when I try to login, I do not receive a prompt to input the PIN. Thus the page with the VM launcher
    does not open up. I have reinstalled all the drivers. Still the system does not prompt for PIN. The card reader and card is working on other systems. Kindly suggest some solution.

HarshSrivastava1, Mar 17, 2021
  3. Rob_U Win User
    Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader)

Windows Security seems to have randomly stopped recognizing my CAC reader, this happened early September.

Typically whenever I access a website that needs my CAC (email, DTS, etc), it prompts me to select my name from a list of credentials, which I do. Then a box pops up from Windows Security asking me to select a smart card device, I click the only option
    and proceed and that's about it.

Now, though, when windows security prompts me to select a smart card device, there is no option. Instead, it simply says "connect a smart card."

I have tried with three different smart cards, all of which operate on other computers, none on mine. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media as well as the Device Manager both recognize the CAC reader when plugged in. I've uninstalled the device from device
    manager, reinstalled it and also updated the driver from the product's website.

To me, it seems that the computer is still recognizing the reader and the software is there - but Windows Security is somehow blocking the system from accessing/recognizing/allowing the reader.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 10 and the CAC reader is ActivIdentity's USB Reader v3.0, P/N: ZFG-9820GAC

Rob_U, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader

Smart Card Reader / Gettign a Card

Hi,

Smart card reader can be used for identification, authentication, and data storage. We suggest contacting the device manufacturer for further assistance on how to use the smart card reader.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader

1. Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader - Similar Threads - prompting connect Smart

2. Connect a smart card

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect a smart card: I am using the digital signature on the remote desktop user and it shows the error "Connect a smart card"how to resolve the issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connect-a-smart-card/604042bc-0da2-4fbf-92a7-ee8e5150d5f7
  3. PIV Smart Card Reader

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIV Smart Card Reader: Hi All, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 and 2004. I am tasked with trying to figure out how to a PIV Reader on my physical PC and then VPN\remote into another network PC , and have that PIV Card reader be functional on the remote session. I have gone into remote...
  4. Office smart card reader not prompting for PIN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office smart card reader not prompting for PIN: Hi, I use a smart card reader along with a smart card provided by my employer. It had been working fine but all of a sudden it stopped working a few days back. Now when I try to login, I do not receive a prompt to input the PIN. Thus the page with the VM launcher does not...
  5. Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security Repeated Smart Card Prompting: When starting/restarting my PC, I get this windows security prompt to connect a smart card. I click cancel or x out of it, and it will show up another 5-10 times. This only happens when the PC is starting up. I searched for online results, and done things people have posted...
  6. Windows update - smart card reader problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows update - smart card reader problems: Hi! After last windows 10 update my laptop do not read usb smart cards no smart cards reader. Windows 10 home 1909 10.12.2019. 18363.535 Please help me. Kind regards! Marko Marković...
  7. Insert Smart Card Prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Insert Smart Card Prompt: After logging in, Insert Smart Card pops up 4 times in a row and has to be closed. I have disabled smartcard services and verified, the non-force options in the registry. The only other information I could find indicates I should use gpedit.msc to modify the administrative...
  8. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.: Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device...
  9. Connect a Smart Card

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connect a Smart Card: I can't make any changes on my ASUS Laptop, every time I tried "connect a smart card" appear. This is a personal computer and I didn't use any smart card. Please help to sort this out. Thanks in advance. 30636
  10. Smart Card Reader driver problem

Smart Card Reader driver problem: Hello! So, I ended up here because I didn't know what else to do. I have a problem with my Smart Card Reader(ID-Card). Windows doesn't let me install drivers for it manually, neither did it install them automatically. It all happened after updating Windows to the Anniversary...