Windows 10: Windows prompts to set default program, every time I update MPC-BE

Discus and support Windows prompts to set default program, every time I update MPC-BE in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Win 10 Home x64 1909.18363.836 Hello all! New to Win10, and quite a few little 'quirks' I've yet to be able to resolve myself, so, I'll be posting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Zoloft, May 30, 2020.

1. Zoloft Win User

Windows prompts to set default program, every time I update MPC-BE

Win 10 Home x64 1909.18363.836

Hello all!

New to Win10, and quite a few little 'quirks' I've yet to be able to resolve myself, so, I'll be posting here on occasion until I get everything sorted to my liking. One at a time, of course!

Today's major frustration:

I use MPC-BE as my primary video player. This program updates as frequently as daily. Every time I update it, Windows prompts me to chose my default programs. This app is already selected as default for most/all video types. I don't see the familiar 'always' box when prompted. How do I get Windows to stop pestering me, every time I update this program?

Thanks as always for reading,

-R

:)

Zoloft, May 30, 2020
  2. Job48 Win User

Windows 10, set default app, click on file to open, asks if ok for program to modify windows

Fresh install of Win 10 Pro x64. Clean upgrade. Retained nothing. For years, I have used Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play all music and video. After installing all my applications, I installed MPC-HC x64, went into its settings, and selected
    all file types it is aware of as the default app for these extensions. Tried to open an mp3 file. Windows wanted me to use another program. Cancelled. Control Panel, Default Programs, Set Default Programs, Click on MHC-HC. Indicated it was only default
    for 15 of its 115 (don't remember exact number) possible defaults. Clicked on Set this program as default. It now says This program has all its defaults.

Rebooted. Try to open an mp3. Windows asks if I am sure I want to allow MPC-HC to make changes to this computer. If I say yes, it will open 1 file. I can not drag and drop 10 mp3 files to the play list. Prompt changes to red circle with a slash in it
    when I get over the play list window.

1. Why do I have to tell Windows 2 or 3 times what app I want to open mp3 files with? Setting the app to be the app is a waste of time.

2. What do I do to get rid of the elevation of privilege prompt?

3. As a test, I downloaded VLC media player and installed it, set it as default app for all. It works fine. No elevation prompt. Drag and drop work. I was on Win7Pro x64 for at least 4 years, and never had any issues with this MPC-HC

I have tried searching for a similar problem, but never figured out what search terms best to use. Found stuff, nothing like this.

Job48, May 30, 2020
  3. Default programs are not working.

I recently received and update for my Windows 7 system and an automatic update for my Windows 10 system. Since then, default programs have been changed. The programs that were the default programs are no longer in the default program list. (ie. Word,
    Excel, Access and a variety of other programs.)

Clicking on Settings, Default Programs and Set Default Programs produces a list of 13 programs. There use to be and should be many more. Why screw with us like this with updates? PR is at an all time low.

I can find no way to add them back into the default list. Therefore, I can not change the default program to my choice. It looks like Edge is used to display most everything. Google.doc also used at times. Both of these programs are of an inferior design
    and usability.

Once again, it looks like Microsoft and Bill Gates have struck again. Does anybody have any solutions or suggestions to try?

lylethethumb, May 30, 2020
  4. TRWOV Win User

Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Windows + X > Control panel > Set default programs > Select any program from the list (Windows Photo Viewer for example) > Set this program as default

Same as with W7, only that in W8 Metro apps are the default.

If you don't do it through the Control Panel, every time you open a new extension you'll get a prompt to set the default program.

TRWOV, May 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows prompts to set default program, every time I update MPC-BE - Similar Threads - prompts set default

2. Every time I open a program with Microsoft C++ I am prompted to Modify setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I open a program with Microsoft C++ I am prompted to Modify setup: I am trying to use Microsoft C++ 2015-2019 to run a game emulator on my PC. However every time I open the program, I am prompted to modify setup of C++. My only options are to "repair" or "uninstall" I click "repair" it comes up with "setup successful, you must restart your...
  3. Every time I open a program with Microsoft C++ I am prompted to Modify setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Every time I open a program with Microsoft C++ I am prompted to Modify setup: I am trying to use Microsoft C++ 2015-2019 to run a game emulator on my PC. However every time I open the program, I am prompted to modify setup of C++. My only options are to "repair" or "uninstall" I click "repair" it comes up with "setup successful, you must restart your...
  4. every time that i sign in into the windows my Default programs going to reset back!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    every time that i sign in into the windows my Default programs going to reset back!!!: hello to all i have a problem with my system that's every time that i sign in into the windows my Default programs going to reset back to before that i changes them!!! and i have to change them again and after every sign of for restarting or shutdowning the windows they go...
  5. MPC-BE settings keep resetting

MPC-BE settings keep resetting: i use MPC-BE version 1.5.3 Build 4428 Beta and is there a way to keep it from resetting settings as i use it to watch movies and other videos on it. 127516
  6. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  7. Setting default programs

Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  8. Every time i set inkscape to be the default program for .svg files it sets it to windows...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every time i set inkscape to be the default program for .svg files it sets it to windows...: I can't work out why, it will let me change it to chrome and edge, but every time I select inkscape in the default programs by file it changes to explorer instead. It's driving me nuts as I've tried every way of changing it but it never works. It allows me to 'open with' so...
  9. Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates

Some font settings get reset to default every time Windows updates: I have set some things so I can see 'em better. I change the icon font, title bar font, message font, status bar font to a little bigger size and bold. I also set the mouse to automatically move to the default button in a dialog box (in tab of POINTER OPTIONS tab in CONTROL...
  10. Every time I boot the system “Edge” is default program to open pdfs

Every time I boot the system “Edge” is default program to open pdfs: After an update days ago many configurations were changed , including the default application to open pdf files , it was changed to open with Microsoft Edge. I changed it to open with my preference , Adobe Reader. However It happens that every day I boot the system pdfs...