Windows 10: Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory

Discus and support Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After updating Windows 10 today, I've run into a strange issue: a single process, Windows Push Notifications User Service, will regularly start and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OliverBackes, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory

After updating Windows 10 today, I've run into a strange issue: a single process, Windows Push Notifications User Service, will regularly start and then slowly use nearly all my available CPU and Memory until either I end the process or the computer ceases to function. When I end the process, it is dormant for a while but always restarts again and goes through the same cycle of using up all available CPU and Memory.

From what I can tell, the issue is not with any particular app trying to send a push notification but rather with the Windows Push Notification Service itself. I have all notifications turned off; however, I find that the process always starts up when I got to the Notification Settings tab. When I do that, no apps are shown under "Get notifications from these senders" nor are any of the lower down options shown either; instead, I just get the loading circular dots animation under "Get notifications from these senders" while the Windows Push Notifications process slowly uses up all available CPU and Memory. When I forcibly end the task using the Task Manager, the loading dots are replaced by the following text: "No senders have provided notifications yet."

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? I spoke with Windows technical support but they were unable to fix the problem - nearly as soon as I got off the phone with them (thinking the issue was fixed), it happened again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

OliverBackes, Mar 20, 2019
  2. etheric42 Win User

Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory

1. Have been able to get a hint about which App might be running and causing the issue?

Start - Settings - type in --> Notifications

Or Start - Settings - System - Notifcations

See if turning off ALL notifications or even particular ones stop the problem.

Even with "get notificaitons from apps and other senders" and all the other toggles in "notifications & actions" turned off, it still does that.

When I scroll down to "get notifications from these senders" I just get the spinning dots (left it running for several minutes without it displaying any apps).

2. While that is showing Right Click the Taskbar - Task Manager - find it and if there is a little arrow on the left expand it to see what is causing it to run.

The process says "Service Host: Windows Push Notifications User Service_49b3a" and when you click the arrow next to it a sub entry of "Windows Push Notifications User Services_49b3a" shows up.

3. Try Process Explorer while it is running to also see if that help determine cause.

Process Explorer says the hog is svchost.exe using 20,xxx,xxx k private bytes, 9,xxx,xxx k working set and 12.xx cpu.

If needed you can also try a Clean Boot.

No luck with clean boot. Still happens with all non-microsoft services disabled as well as all startup items disabled.

Autoruns

Just installed and ran it. Not really sure what I'm looking for on it that is not in the task manager startup list. Nothing really jumps out as being inappropriate.

etheric42, Mar 20, 2019
  3. etheric42 Win User
    Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory

In Windows 10 Home, the "Windows Push Notifications User Service 4e086" begins using up multiple gigabytes of memory after running for a few minutes. I can end task the process, but it comes back later or on reboot. I have tried disabling the process by
    unchecking it in msconfig, but it still starts when I restart the computer. I have tried running a clean boot by disabling all non-microsoft services in msconfig and disabling all startup entries in task manager, but the issue still occurs.

I have run virus scan and Malwarebytes anti-malware scan and found nothing. This has been ongoing for multiple weeks.

I'd like to resolve the issue, but if the best I can get is somehow disabling push notifications entirely and stopping that process from ever starting, I would be happy with that too.

etheric42, Mar 20, 2019
  4. Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory

High Memory Usage by "Service Host: Windows Notifications User Service_3c1f5"

For us to know if it's a faulty or outdated driver, can you send us a screenshot of associated file. Here are the steps:

• Type in Task Manager in the search bar
    • Right-click Service Host: Windows Push Notifications User Service_3c1f5
    • Click Properties and go to the General tab
    • Send us a screenshot of the Properties

We'll wait for your response.

Marilou Ser, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory

1. Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory - Similar Threads - Push Notifications User

2. Windows Push Notifications User Service High Memory or CPU usage

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Push Notifications User Service High Memory or CPU usage: [IMG]If Windows Push Notifications User Service is consuming high Memory or CPU usage in Windows 11/10, here is how you can eliminate this problem. It likely happens when you start your computer or connect it to the internet after a long time since all the apps try to show...
  3. CPU is maxed out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU is maxed out: I've been experiencing my CPU being maxed out the past couple of weeks. During this time I have equally been trying to find a resolution. Everything I've done is a temporary fix and the issue comes right back.My processor is: IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz...
  4. Windows Push Notifications User Service - High CPU usage

Windows Push Notifications User Service - High CPU usage: Hi. For several weeks now, I have been having a problem with my laptop, running Windows 10 Home Edition, in that there is high amount of CPU usage, even when the computer is supposedly idling; so much so the cooling fans have to run all the time. When I look on Task...
  5. Windows Push Notifications User Service - High CPU usage

Windows Push Notifications User Service - High CPU usage: Hi. For several weeks now, I have been having a problem with my laptop, running Windows 10 Home Edition, in that there is high amount of CPU usage, even when the computer is supposedly idling; so much so the cooling fans have to run all the time. When I look on Task...
  6. service host: windows push notification user service

service host: windows push notification user service: greetings I notice that every couple of days the laptop becomes very slow and it hangs up, while its cooling van noise becomes very high and the laptop temperature becomes high, service host: windows push notification user service 10d367f4 consumes most of the ram 98%...
  7. Windows push notifications user service

Windows push notifications user service: Please help All new pc parts : Motherboard : Asus prime H310M-A CPU : Intel i5 8400 RAM : G.Skill ( xmp to 2400mhz) PSU : cooler master 450w masterwatt except HDD : Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB SATA 6Gb/s Scanned with no bad sectors or errors All drivers up to date...
  8. Windows Push Notifications User Service (wpnuserservice) Constantly Crashing

Windows Push Notifications User Service (wpnuserservice) Constantly Crashing: Since 9/1/2018 (17 days ago) the wpnuserservice has been constantly crashing, causing all notifications not to come in. (notable symptoms include the focus assist button not working in the action center and visiting the focus assist page in the settings app causing the app...
  9. Windows Push Notification User Service always crashing

Windows Push Notification User Service always crashing: For the past week, I've continually found this critical error in my reliability monitor - Windows Push Notifications User Service stopped working. I have used sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f C: and DISM and they all have shown no problems. I have also done multiple virus/malware...
  10. Windows Push Notification User Service stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Push Notification User Service stopped working: Constant critical event in Reliability Monitor. Seems to happen at boot. Anyone have any solutions? Faulting Application Path: c:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: svchost.exe_WpnUserService Application...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wpnuserservice windows 10

2. OS/osswconfig/services/wpnuserservice