Windows 10: Windows pushing an update that breaks Nvidia drivers!

Discus and support Windows pushing an update that breaks Nvidia drivers! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been pulling my hair out recently over what I thought was the GPU dying in my laptop but in the past day I have found out its driver related.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CodyCCartel, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Windows pushing an update that breaks Nvidia drivers!

I've been pulling my hair out recently over what I thought was the GPU dying in my laptop but in the past day I have found out its driver related. Basically the issue is that my GPU would stop working and "disappear" from my laptop when it would go over ~30% usage Including from YouTube video playback. Fans would ramp up to 100% and the laptop would "recover" by displaying via the Intel iGPU. In order to bring the fans back to a normal speed I would have to do a complete shut down. Just today I found out that when I uninstall the Nvidia drivers in Safe Mode with DDU, restart then reinstall. My issue would temporarily go away for about an hour and I could play games with the GPU pinged at 100% no problem. But eventually it would mess up again. I've read a bunch of forum posts with a similar issue and it seems to be caused by windows pushing an update to the GPU drivers but I can't seem to stop that... Also, it isn't a heat issue as I've replaced my laptops tooth paste with liquid metal and even replaced the thermal grease around all the components Heat is what I thought the issue was.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

CodyCCartel, Mar 24, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

NVIDIA Adds Windows 8 to GeForce Driver Update Stack

AMD may have been the first to be out with drivers for its Radeon GPUs that are optimized for Windows 8 (WDDM 1.2), but NVIDIA went a step ahead of "special-releases" for its GeForce drivers, and added Windows 8 to its update stack, meaning that Windows 8 will feature in the list of operating systems to pick from, to download drivers. NVIDIA will constantly update these drivers along with mainline releases for Windows 7/Vista and XP. The latest such driver is 296.17. This driver supports GeForce and Quadro GPUs, and according to NVIDIA, is a quick-update over 295.73 WHQL, with the addition of performance optimization for Blacklight: Retribution.

Windows pushing an update that breaks Nvidia drivers! 152a_thm.jpg

Source: VR-Zone

btarunr, Mar 24, 2021
  3. Windows pushed a new nvidia driver via update

oh i wrote an article about it once few years ago here Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner , they do not just silently push drivers on you , they even silently push faulty drivers on you that can make you crash often or slow down your performance and surprisingly its a per case scenario , like back then i had a cousin that lives in a different country but bought same laptop and model as mine but never had that .
    so basically i reached the phase where i had to upgrade to window 10 pro so i can disable hardware drivers update through winodws update and also disable automatic driver update since both help pushing those faulty drivers . not just that , even with all these settings i disabled and the fee i had to pay to upgrade to pro , yet still with every windows version upgrade they push on us the drivers update again but this time you may find your entire list updated to hideous buggy versions . so i suggest you keep a folder of your trusty set of drivers as backup in case of version upgrades , and do disable "auto driver updates" and "include drivers in windows update" on pro version of windows . i say pro because its broken on home version , they would still push updates on you even after disabling these options .

Cheers
    *Cool

nIGHTmAYOR, Mar 24, 2021
  4. BJB
    BJB Win User

Windows pushing an update that breaks Nvidia drivers!

KB3073930 will not hide Nvidia driver update

I pride myself in researching and figure things out but just can't get this one.
    I know I have the most recent NVidia driver from their website. My video is gone.
    I also know all about the show/hide "troubleshooter" (should be called fix a bad MS decision shooter)...anyway, it works fine with several items. However the Nvidia driver update does not show on the list of items in the troubleshooter it can hide!
    So, it keeps showing up with the updates that I DO WANT to download.

Even stranger, some updates showed in the troubleshooter that were not showing in my windows update dialog.

But anyway, the real issue is that I need to hide that Nvidia driver. Any suggestions?

This is a little crazy. I might be okay with OS updates being pushed more but NOT drivers.

Thanks,

Thema:

Windows pushing an update that breaks Nvidia drivers!

1. Windows pushing an update that breaks Nvidia drivers! - Similar Threads - pushing update breaks

2. nvidia driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nvidia driver updates: Today, I attempted to run X-Plane 11 on a windows laptop with a Nvidia Geforce GTX graphics card for the workload. This was working fine a week ago. Now it says my driver needs to be updated. The Vulkan page is confusion. The Nvidia page says that the OEM should put the...
  3. nvidia driver updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    nvidia driver updates: Today, I attempted to run X-Plane 11 on a windows laptop with a Nvidia Geforce GTX graphics card for the workload. This was working fine a week ago. Now it says my driver needs to be updated. The Vulkan page is confusion. The Nvidia page says that the OEM should put the...
  4. Windows pushes update which breaks system with incompatible driver, need fix ASAP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows pushes update which breaks system with incompatible driver, need fix ASAP: I'm running an HP TP01-1337c which, to save some time, is a big-box store kind of basic computer with a Ryzen 5 4600G and a proprietary HP motherboard called Erica3. I've added an AMD WX3100 for multiple display support. That configuration has worked PERFECTLY for a year....
  5. Windows pushes update which breaks system with incompatible driver, need fix ASAP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows pushes update which breaks system with incompatible driver, need fix ASAP: I'm running an HP TP01-1337c which, to save some time, is a big-box store kind of basic computer with a Ryzen 5 4600G and a proprietary HP motherboard called Erica3. I've added an AMD WX3100 for multiple display support. That configuration has worked PERFECTLY for a year....
  6. Windows pushes update which breaks system with incompatible driver, need fix ASAP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows Update for nVidia Drivers?

Windows Update for nVidia Drivers?: Good Morning, My Windows 10 Pro for Workstations desktop has a Pascal era nVidia Quadro. Windows Update WU deployed nvidia proprietary driver v442.50. Is the 'best practice' for Windows 10 just to let WU handle drivers if I'm not experiencing any issues? I ask because...
  8. updating nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    updating nvidia drivers: my laptop is alienware 17 r5 i9 and it has nvidia geforce gtx 1080 graphics card. i am currently on windows 10 build 1809 is having the latest windows build a requirement to install new drivers? i asked a nvidia support agent about that. he said that the new drivers are...
  9. Windows pushed a new nvidia driver via update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows pushed a new nvidia driver via update: Just checked windows updates manually and a new nvidia driver got pushed. I never update them myself but got a big leap in version number to 432.00. Anyone else getting the same? Some brief testing seems fine in aftermath but I tried googling and even checking the gpu thread...
  10. Windows Update continuously deletes/ breaks Nvidia drivers

Windows Update continuously deletes/ breaks Nvidia drivers: Fix your stuff, this is super unprofessional. It's happened 3 times now, I searched and I am not the only one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-continuously-deletes-breaks-nvidia/cd004605-cbb9-42d5-b946-57ac37def8c0