Windows 10: Windows RAID 0 question performance question

Discus and support Windows RAID 0 question performance question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks / performance gurus Got an old server 4 HDD storage bays and SSD with Raid 0 -- created 2 arrays of 2 logical HDD's but 4 physical HDD's (1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Feb 21, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows RAID 0 question performance question

Hi folks / performance gurus

Got an old server 4 HDD storage bays and SSD with Raid 0 -- created 2 arrays of 2 logical HDD's but 4 physical HDD's (1 array 2 X 4TB, 1 array 2 X 3TB) --

Is this better than creating 1 array of all 4 HDD's - I'd lose some space because the arrays have to be the same size.

I'm not too bothered on other issues of RAID 0 -- I want the fastest HDD SPEED I can get out of the system - I've plenty of backups so HDD failure here isn't a primary concern.

SSD is the boot device - works fine -- just need info on setting up these 4 HDD's for the best performnce -- Storage array is set up in BIOS before Windows boots.

Help here appreciated -- I can usually get stuff to work (old Engineer) but don't necessarily have the knowledge to optimize performance.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 21, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Increase size of C drive

Well since you think this forum is quite useless, so is your question, as the answer to your question lies in your question - you say you know about striped volumes, so Raid 0 is the solution to your question . . .

DaveM121, Feb 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 retail license key

I've been looking into possibly getting Windows 10. I found retail license keys being sold on eBay for extremely cheap (under $15). It
    seems like there would have to be some issue with these. However, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I've been doing some research. If I understand correctly, if it's retail then it cannot be OEM. Also, if it's retail, I understand it cannot be
    a volume license key. From what I understand, it cannot be MSDN, either. If it were simply pirated, then I don't see how it could be activated as they claim it can be. What am I missing? FWIW, it comes from Europe, but claims to be valid worldwide.

(Not linking to the eBay sale as I don't want to "promote" it if there is an issue with it. But what can you suggest to me based on the little info available?)

Edit: A possibility... could it potentially be resold to other parties and activated by them, but then if I reinstall (when enough activations have been done), I will be unable to reactivate again?

(Question), Feb 21, 2016
  4. badrobot Win User

What do you need the array speed for if you have an SSD as a boot up drive? If it's just for storage, raid 0 is like putting all your eggs in 1 basket..I know you have backups but having those drives independent of each other will give you less chances of a failure and headache.

badrobot, Feb 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows RAID 0 question performance question - Similar Threads - RAID question performance

2. Windows Performance Analyzer question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Performance Analyzer question: This morning I downloaded and Microsoft immediately installed "Windows Performance Analyzer" on my laptop to see how well my system is behaving on startup. The problem is that I do not know how to use it. Something produces ETFs that the analyzer reports on, but I don't know...
  3. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  4. Question/s involving Raid 0 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question/s involving Raid 0 and Windows 10: Okay~ Six years ago I bought an Alienware M17x. It came with 2x 750 GB drives configured in RAID 0. I literally didn't know this until yesterday when I yanked the hard drives out of the laptop. I built a new computer for gaming, a first for me, and put my hard drives into...
  5. 0 day malware, question.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    0 day malware, question.: My fb page is Vaios Ganesh, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009066564135 I have posted all my findings publicly about the 0 day malware and the problems I have. As I was hit by the malware I noticed the following 1. windows root certificate was set to 1939...
  6. Guest Performance Question (HDD)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Guest Performance Question (HDD): I'm in the process of building an ESXi setup at home. I will list the specs at the bottom, but my main question comes down to VM performance when running from a spinner HDD. ESXi is running from a 16 USB flash drive. I have an old 64 GB SSD for storing .iso files. Now, the...
  7. RAID 1 question before upgrading

RAID 1 question before upgrading: Hi folks, I'm a W7 Pro user, and I'm finally thinking to get the update to W10. Question: at the moment I've a RAID 1 set up; will it still be available after the update and/or after I do a clean install of W10? Thank you 33551
  8. Question about SSD RAID 0

Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...
  9. Question on disk space avail RAID 0

Question on disk space avail RAID 0: I am confused, hope you can help - I have 2 2TB disk drives configured as RAID 0. This is confirmed in Intel RST. RST says 3815 GB total size, roughly 4 TB available, which is what I would expect as RAID 0 supposedly makes available the sum of the drives in the array as its...
  10. Performance, speed questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance, speed questions: I wasn't sure where to ask this so I thought I'd start here. I recently bought a new laptop that I thought would be fast performance wise. Imagine my dismay when the new computer runs slightly slower than my nearly 4 year old laptop, according to performance benchmarks and...