Windows 10: Windows Random Freezing

Discus and support Windows Random Freezing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 Build Number 19042.804 About a month ago my laptop started to hang or freeze randomly. It's totally random, sometimes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NoRMAL, Feb 19, 2021.

1. NoRMAL Win User

Windows Random Freezing

Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
    Build Number 19042.804
    About a month ago my laptop started to hang or freeze randomly. It's totally random, sometimes it happens when doing heavy tasks like video editing or gaming and sometimes it happens when watching movies or when I'm just hovering mouse for no reason. I can move my cursor but the whole background is frozen and sometimes I can't even move the cursor. The freeze time totally random, sometimes it lasts about 5-10 sec.

I tried various solutions offered from forums and Youtube. Like Disk checks, scan for malware and virus, tweaking power options. But I did a test on my HDD using Crystal Disk Info and it shows 'Caution' with one bad sector something like that.
    So I can't figure out the cause for this, all drivers are up to date, no windows updates. Please let me know if you need any more files like logs or reports.

:)

NoRMAL, Feb 19, 2021

2. Random freezes or shut downs

Hrrmmmm... but wouldnt formatting and reinstalling windows fix the issue since the virus/trojan/spyware isnt on the system any longer?

forumsviewer, Feb 19, 2021
  3. TIGR Win User
    Random freezes or shut downs

Completely random freezing/shutdowns on a system with no recent hardware changes, and hard drive, memory, and PSU fine, usually means a software issue (file corruption or malicious software). I suggest following DavidV's recommendations.

4. vinsterX Win User

Windows Random Freezing

Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130

Hello everyone.

I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random crash/freeze that manifests itself in one of two ways:

1. If I step away from the computer and come back before the monitor is set to go to sleep, I will come back to a frozen cursor, unable to do anything.
    2. If I step away from the computer and come back after the monitor has gone to sleep, I will come back to a black screen, unable to do anything.
    In both cases, I have to hold the power button in to shut down the computer for a restart.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

vinsterX, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Windows Random Freezing

1. Windows Random Freezing - Similar Threads - Random Freezing

2. Non-Bluescreen Hard Freezing of Computer and Random Debug restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Non-Bluescreen Hard Freezing of Computer and Random Debug restarts: Hello Microsoft community! Ive ran into what I would deem my opinion as a software issue. I noticed my pc that whenever iI am watching a video, playing a Game, or just standing idle on my desk that the pc would restart randomly, albeit 30% of the time would get stuck in a...
  3. Non-Bluescreen Hard Freezing of Computer and Random Debug restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Non-Bluescreen Hard Freezing of Computer and Random Debug restarts: Hello Microsoft community! Ive ran into what I would deem my opinion as a software issue. I noticed my pc that whenever iI am watching a video, playing a Game, or just standing idle on my desk that the pc would restart randomly, albeit 30% of the time would get stuck in a...
  4. Random lag spikes on pc lagging and freezing every few seconds ran a ram test and stopped...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random lag spikes on pc lagging and freezing every few seconds ran a ram test and stopped...: ran a ram test and stopped startup apps + used restore point but i still have an issue where my pc will randomly lag every few seconds and freezing for few as well...
  5. Random lag spikes on pc lagging and freezing every few seconds ran a ram test and stopped...

Random lag spikes on pc lagging and freezing every few seconds ran a ram test and stopped...: ran a ram test and stopped startup apps + used restore point but i still have an issue where my pc will randomly lag every few seconds and freezing for few as well...
  6. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my mouse cursor freezes randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the cursor, and I can use the keyboard to navigate...
  7. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly: Hi all,I am having an issue where my mouse cursor freezes randomly. Sometimes it's for a few seconds, sometimes it appears permanently frozen. While it's frozen everything else works perfectly fine - I can CLICK things with the cursor, and I can use the keyboard to navigate...
  8. Laptop cursor keeps freezing randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Computer freezing continuously for last year, completely random bluescreen messages, no...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing continuously for last year, completely random bluescreen messages, no...: As said above, my computer has been freezing and bluescreening over the last year. It comes in periods, where i can have a couple months of no freezing but then after that it starts again for maybe a month or two before it stops for a couple months. My hardware is as...
  10. Computer freezing continuously for last year, completely random bluescreen messages, no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing continuously for last year, completely random bluescreen messages, no...: As said above, my computer has been freezing and bluescreening over the last year. It comes in periods, where i can have a couple months of no freezing but then after that it starts again for maybe a month or two before it stops for a couple months. My hardware is as...