Windows 10: Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz

Discus and support Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For the past few months my laptop has started to randomly change its display refresh from 120hz to 60hz, and in order to reset it to 120hz I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by iann., May 16, 2020.

1. iann. Win User

Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz

For the past few months my laptop has started to randomly change its display refresh from 120hz to 60hz, and in order to reset it to 120hz I need to reboot. I think this probably tied to a recent Windows update, but since this was more than 10 days ago I don't have the option to roll it back anymore.

Windows display settings doesn't have an option to change display refresh at all, so I can only access this setting though the nvidia control panel, which is set to 120hz and doesn't change its value even when Windows drops to 60hz. However, I can test on https://www.testufo.com/ that the display refresh has actually changed from 120hz to 60hz, then after I reboot it's fixed.

I've tried upgrading my graphics drivers, and when that didn't work I downgraded them but that didn't help either. Windows updates are also all installed except the most recent feature update.

Computer: Aorus_X5 V6,

CPU: IntelR CoreTM i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70 GHz

Installed Ram: 16.0 GB

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, Driver 441.87

:)

iann., May 16, 2020

2. Refresh rate

Hello everyone

I have bought a new laptop and it says the max refresh rate is 120hz. But whatever I do I cannot get past 60hz. I tried It with NVidia control pane and with windows display settings. But on both NVidia control panel and windows display settings (list all
    modes and refresh rate) it says I cant get past 60hz and my driver is updated. I even tried to get 120hz with a lower resolution but it doesn't work. If someone knows what the problem is can you help me?

21312131_087, May 16, 2020
  3. Snow Win User
    How to set refresh rate 60Hz on the TV when connected to HDMI?

I've connected my laptop(Windows 10) with the TV using an HDMI cable. The resolution of the laptop is 3840x2160 and the refresh rate 60Hz.

The TV's resolution is automatically set as 3840x2160 also, but the refresh rate shows 30Hz.
    Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz F0beFm.jpg

I cannot change the refresh rate to a higher rate, because the option is not available.

Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz zOGwqm.jpg

Now, when I change the resolution of the TV to 1920x1080, I'm able to change the refresh rate to 60Hz.

Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz Ij6MTm.jpg

Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz Sydfgm.jpg

Why can't I put the resolution as 3840x2160 and the refresh rate at 60Hz for the TV? Does the issue have to do with the HDMI cable, or Windows?

My TV's max refresh rate is 120Hz. Supposedly I should get that option also, but it's not showing there.

4. Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz

Refresh Rate Changing Itself at Random

Hello all,

Not sure if this is actually a problem with my graphics card, my laptop's screen, or something else but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction:

As the title says, my laptop screen's refresh rate keeps changing itself from 120Hz to 60Hz seemingly at random (mid-game sometimes). When it suddenly starts running at 60Hz, both Windows display settings and the Nvidia control panel still show it's set to 120Hz and it doesn't revert back until I manually switch it to 60 and then back to 120. Turning G-SYNC off doesn't fix the problem. I'm running the latest Game-Ready drivers (441.66) and Windows version 1909 (18363.535).

I tried a clean install of the drivers after running DDU and also tried reverting back to 441.41 (with which I had no issues that I can recall) to no avail. Also clean installed Windows entirely multiple times: once I tried both manually installing all manufacturer drivers and another time I just let Windows Update do its thing and I got the same result with each so I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what changed.

If anyone is having the same issue or can provide any suggestions, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks! (My profile is updated with my full system specs).

DxDiag file and screenshot of issue below.

DxDiag.txt

Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz [​IMG]

Update: Quite literally just after posting this, I tried fiddling with the Nvidia control panel settings again and I changed the refresh rate to 60Hz and my screen started flickering non-stop and changing it back to 120Hz stopped the flickering but didn't actually change the refresh rate back to 120Hz as it normally always has. Rebooting still temporarily fixes the problem. I'm now thinking my screen is indeed failing though it's shown no other issues...

That Laggy Guy, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz

1. Windows randomly changes refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz - Similar Threads - randomly changes refresh

2. Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz: Hello everyone, I have an Acer Nitro EI242QRP which is a 165hz monitor, I previously had Windows 11 before facing this issue, I just got back to Windows 10 and I see that my refresh rate is stuck at 65Hz, this never happened before. When I first bought the monitor I was stuck...
  3. Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz: Hello everyone, I have an Acer Nitro EI242QRP which is a 165hz monitor, I previously had Windows 11 before facing this issue, I just got back to Windows 10 and I see that my refresh rate is stuck at 65Hz, this never happened before. When I first bought the monitor I was stuck...
  4. Monitor Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.: Hi wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent my screen refresh rate from changing everytime i unplug my charger from my MSI GP66 laptop. I've tried changing power settings but it still doesnt work. Im on windows 11 btw....
  6. Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen refresh rate changing from 165hz to 60hz when charger is unplugged.: Hi wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent my screen refresh rate from changing everytime i unplug my charger from my MSI GP66 laptop. I've tried changing power settings but it still doesnt work. Im on windows 11 btw....
  7. Hertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Hertz randomly dropping from 120Hz to 60Hz: Hello, I have had a problem for about a year now with my laptop. My hertz randomly drop from 120Hz to 60Hz, However, the Hertz remains at 120Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel. What I do to fix it is just changing the resolution to a lower one than switch back to 1920x1080, and...
  8. Refresh rate dropping from 120hz to 60hz, WHEA-Logger Event ID 17 ?

Refresh rate dropping from 120hz to 60hz, WHEA-Logger Event ID 17 ?: I've got OS: Win 10, 64 bit, version 1903, and GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, Driver 441.87 (just rolled back from 445.87, same issue) Computer: Aorus_X5 V6, CPU: Intel i7-6820HK @ 2.70 GHz Ram: 16.0 GB For the past month my windows refresh rate seems to be randomly...
  9. Forza Horizon 4 Refresh Rate Cant Change from 60Hz to 144Hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forza Horizon 4 Refresh Rate Cant Change from 60Hz to 144Hz: Hi i bought the Games Forza Horizon 4 and wanted to play the game on 144Hz. I noticed at the Benchmark my Refresh Rate was on 60Hz so i wanted to change it but there is no Option for it. I already looked up and noticed that some guys had it working to 144Hz from their...
  10. Refresh Rate Changing Itself at Random

Refresh Rate Changing Itself at Random: Hello all, Not sure if this is actually a problem with my graphics card, my laptop's screen, or something else but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction: As the title says, my laptop screen's refresh rate keeps changing itself from 120Hz to 60Hz seemingly at...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 120hz drops back to 60hz