Windows 10: Windows randomly restarts and disabled an entire disk

Discus and support Windows randomly restarts and disabled an entire disk in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Warning: long post! Hi! Maybe you have some idea about this issue I'm facing, I'm not really a beginner in computers, but I never saw this one. All... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/msnet88, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Windows randomly restarts and disabled an entire disk

Warning: long post!

Hi! Maybe you have some idea about this issue I'm facing, I'm not really a beginner in computers, but I never saw this one. All components are from May 2017, so they are pretty newish.

Components:

Power source is Argus 620W

MB Gigabyte B250HD3P

Proc i5 7500

RAM 3x8 GB 2400 DDR4 HyperX

Graphic card is a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC Windforce 2GB GDDR5 128-bit

C:/ is a Samsung SSD 850

D:/ is a WD HDD 3.5"

E:/ is a Hitach HDD 2.5"

F:/ was a LG CD/DVD RW

So 2 months back I had a power outage. Happens <5 times/year, so I didn't worry that much. This time was different: an entire disk was missing (D:/). Windows booted just fine, I restarted, D was still missing. Restarted, went into BIOS, saved without making changes. Windows boots and D appears again.

Fast forward 1 month: I insert a brand new CD with medical images. As soon as I double-click F, computer restarts and the same story goes with D. Trying few more times, same result. CD works great on other machine. I stop using it and minded my own business.

Few days later, random restarts are happening, everytime D is missing and I have to do the whole BIOS stuff to appear. After a while, I unplug SATA cables from the CD/DVD RW, thinking that it might drain the power source somehow.

Few days later, same thing happens. This time D appears after a "normal" restart, without BIOS, but at a ~3 minutes difference from the start up.

HDD diagnose tools says everything is fine, both HDDs are 100% health, the SSD is 94% (dropping about 2-3%/year, I understand that this is a common thing).

Any idea what else I can do? What should I replace? Never saw these kind of issues before and google searches don't help that much, as I haven't found similar factors.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/msnet88
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/msnet88, Feb 28, 2021
  2. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Windows randomly restarts and disabled an entire disk :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Feb 28, 2021
  4. Windows randomly restarts and disabled an entire disk

random restarts

Hi Lili,

Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to
    randomly restarts. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter on your computer and check if it fixes the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems look for
      Power.
    • Then Run the troubleshooter.

Update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

Windows randomly restarts and disabled an entire disk

1. Windows randomly restarts and disabled an entire disk - Similar Threads - randomly restarts disabled

2. Windows deactivated randomly and is now entirely useless

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows deactivated randomly and is now entirely useless: I randomly began seeing the Activate Windows watermark on my desktop - potentially after a routine update but I do not know for sure. Ever since then, I haven't been able to use windows at all. It takes exponentially longer to even sign in with my pin. Once I finally do get...
  3. Windows deactivated randomly and is now entirely useless

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows deactivated randomly and is now entirely useless: I randomly began seeing the Activate Windows watermark on my desktop - potentially after a routine update but I do not know for sure. Ever since then, I haven't been able to use windows at all. It takes exponentially longer to even sign in with my pin. Once I finally do get...
  4. Windows deactivated randomly and is now entirely useless

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Randomly Restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Randomly Restarting: So my windows recently has been randomly restarting multiple times in a row. After a few it sometimes lets me then login with no issues. Others I login and within minutes it restarts. System and App logs below aswell as PC specs if someone is able to help?App Logs:...
  6. Disable Sleep Mode Entirely

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Sleep Mode Entirely: My new computer keyboard puts the computer to sleep using the F2 key by default. If I want to rename anything, I have to hit a function key. There is no way to change the setting and because I never put my computer into sleep mode, I want to disable it entirely. Not turn it...
  7. Pc restarting loop, bsod, restarts entire pc

Pc restarting loop, bsod, restarts entire pc: My pc has been running fine no issues I wanted to do a fresh install of windows on my 120gb ssd so I downloaded the medial tool on a usb formatted my 120 and went to install windows. First off every time I boot via usb my screen goes haywire and shows like weird artifact like...
  8. Windows restarting randomly

Windows restarting randomly: After i leave my pc idle for like 10 min it restarts but goes straight back to the login screen i have version 1903 installed and I dont have automatically shutdown activated or anything like that. please help submitted by /u/TTrixsteRR [link] [comments]...
  9. Random Restarts, Auto Restart disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Restarts, Auto Restart disabled: This is far beyond my ability to troubleshoot. Any help very much appreciated! 138340
  10. Random Restarts, Auto Restart disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Restarts, Auto Restart disabled: This is far beyond my ability to troubleshoot. Any help very much appreciated! 138340