Windows 10: Windows "randomly" spending WAY too long on Welcome screen. Pls help!

Discus and support Windows "randomly" spending WAY too long on Welcome screen. Pls help! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I had this PC for the longest time, and everything seemed fine until a couple months ago I started having this issue, which I hope you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by uKER, Mar 9, 2020.

1. uKER Win User

Windows "randomly" spending WAY too long on Welcome screen. Pls help!

Hi everyone.

I had this PC for the longest time, and everything seemed fine until a couple months ago I started having this issue, which I hope you may be able to help me with.
    The thing is, in what appears to be random fashion, Windows takes an unacceptably variable amount of time in the Welcome screen on each startup.

The usual time spent on this screen is some 6 seconds (2 full cycles of the twirling dots animation). Now, the thing is, if you constantly reboot the PC, without changing anything, the time spent on that screen will vary, apparently at random, between the usual 6 seconds it used to take, up to THIRTY seconds. This variation, needless to say, makes it an even bigger pain to troubleshoot.

Other than that startup delay, performance seems fine in every other scenario, even gaming, both in 3D performance and load times.

Another thing to note is that it only happens on boot. Logging off and back on takes the expected time, so contrarily to what it would seem, it doesn't seem to be related to the logon itself.

Stuff I've tried:
    - Reset of RAM to default 2133 MHz (normally running 3200)
    - Resetting BIOS to defaults
    - Reflashing BIOS to version prior to when the issue started
    - Clean install of Windows
    - Clean install of release version of Windows (I'm normally on Insider Fast)
    - Installing Windows to either hard drive and NVMe SSD
    - Creating a second Windows user
    - Removing all unneeded peripherals
    - Disabling SATA controller, leaving only NVMe storage
    - Switching to Performance power profile
    - SFC /scannow
    - Disabling Hibernation (and therefore Fast Start)
    - Disabling everything in startup using Autoruns (while it does increase the chance of getting lower times, I don't consider the results to be conclusive at all)
    - Currently I'm unable to test Safe mode since it GSODs in the Windows build I'm in but IIRC it improved load times a lot too, not sure if it would ever take longer than those intended 6 seconds

The PC:
    - Ryzen 5 3600
    - ASUS Prime B350 PLUS
    - 2x8 GB G.Skill FlareX 3200
    - AData 8200SX NVME 1 TB SSD
    - 4 TB SATA 3.0 HDD
    - RTX 2070
    - Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU
    - Windows 10 build 19577

Latest BIOS and drivers on everything.
    No overclock other than RAM at 3200 using XMP.

I have dedicated more time to this issue than I'd like to admit and it's driving me insane.
    The only thing I could think of right now would be swapping the mobo or PSU, but that's just a stupid desperation move, which would probably accomplish nothing.

I'll greatly appreciate if anyone could provide me with any pointers as to what could be going on here.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Setting HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\VerboseStatus to 1, the message that sticks there forever is "Preparing Windows". Any ideas?

:)

uKER, Mar 9, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

i update bios then black screen ???? pls help me 980ti

@smoka Great you fixed it and would be interesting to know how you did it. Care to list the basic steps you took to do it so that it can help others stuck in the same situation?

qubit, Mar 9, 2020
  3. Windows 10 freezes randomly

I had already tried turning off fast startup, to no avail.
    Will look at the list you provided, thanks. Hard to do when computer freezes on the Windows loading screen though. *Biggrin
    I had tried that as well... no result.

Mountain Dew, Mar 9, 2020
  4. p_o_s_pc Win User

Best way to spend $300?

+1 that sounds like a good way to spend the money

p_o_s_pc, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows "randomly" spending WAY too long on Welcome screen. Pls help! - Similar Threads - randomly spending too

2. Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.: Recently at about 4:00 PM today I went to restore my windows 10 laptop and its been going for so long now. posted at almost 11:00 PM currently at 54 percent and im going up 1 percent every 8 minutes or so. I have to go to bed and I dont want to wake up in the middle of the...
  3. Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 taking WAY TOO LONG TO RESTORE.: Recently at about 4:00 PM today I went to restore my windows 10 laptop and its been going for so long now. posted at almost 11:00 PM currently at 54 percent and im going up 1 percent every 8 minutes or so. I have to go to bed and I dont want to wake up in the middle of the...
  4. Spending too long time in welcome during start up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Spending too long time in welcome during start up: Please anyone know how to solve this as I dont know why my pc starts up so slow before this it just took less than 1 second in the welcome during start up but now is almost 5 to 6 seconds...
  5. Welcome screen took so long

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Welcome screen took so long: I never sign in to the computer I just install windows 8 and I stuck I’m have no idea what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/welcome-screen-took-so-long/8e718f36-8cd4-48ae-82cd-fa12915ccf63
  6. Windows Update Taking WAY Too Long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Taking WAY Too Long: I started the process of updating and restrarting my PC at around 10:23PM. It is currently 12:10AM and my PC is stuck on the "working on updates, dont turn off your pc. This will take a while" screen at only 26%! I cant stay awake all night waiting for this stupid thing to...
  7. Windows installation takes way too long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows installation takes way too long: I wanted a clean windows installation again. It’s been 2 hours already and I am only at 14%! How is this possible something must be broken? I cant wait all night (I need my pc tomorrow for work) Should I shut down and restart my pc? submitted by /u/Azertity [link]...
  8. Windows defender scanner is taking way too long.

Windows defender scanner is taking way too long.: I have attempted to use windows defender and chose to use the "Windows Defender Offline scan" option. It has said it would restart and then take about 15 minutes to finish, but it has taken more than an hour. Inside task manager, it is still running, but I cannot terminate...
  9. Windows 10 welcome screen taking too long like 3-5 minutes..

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 welcome screen taking too long like 3-5 minutes..: I did not have this issue before I did not know what happened suddenly the welcome screen started to take atleast 3-5 min. The boot up is very quick and when it comes to welcome screen it takes too long. I disabled all the start up programs too.. Please help me fix this issue...
  10. Windows "randomly" spending WAY too long on Welcome screen. Please help.

Windows "randomly" spending WAY too long on Welcome screen. Please help.: Hi everyone. I had this PC for the longest time, and everything seemed fine until a couple months ago I started having this issue, which I hope you may be able to help me with. The thing is, in what appears to be random fashion, Windows takes an unacceptably variable amount...