Windows 10: Windows re tools partition How big?

Discus and support Windows re tools partition How big? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Just how big should the Windows RE Tools partition be? This has probably been posted before, but I am a bit lazy today. So thanks in advance. Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by thomaseg1, Nov 6, 2019.

1. thomaseg1 Win User

Windows re tools partition How big?

Just how big should the Windows RE Tools partition be?

This has probably been posted before, but I am a bit lazy today.

So thanks in advance.

Win 1903 18362.499

:)

thomaseg1, Nov 6, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 6, 2019
  3. DeNeDe Win User
    HDD partitions format

Used a tool from the list and it worked..
    Install won't start if windows can't recognize the partitions.

DeNeDe, Nov 6, 2019
  4. Windows re tools partition How big?

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows re tools partition How big?

1. Windows re tools partition How big? - Similar Threads - tools partition big

2. I have two Windows RE tools partitions. Do I need both?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have two Windows RE tools partitions. Do I need both?: After a problem installing a recent Windows 10 update, I had to reconfigure my Windows Re tools partition and somehow have ended up with two:Drive E is 570MB with used space of 17.8MB and 553MB of free spaceDrive F is 54GB with used space of 142MB and 53.8GB of free space.Do...
  3. Windows RE tools partition size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows RE tools partition size: How do I increase the size of my "Windows RE tools" partition? My Acronis disk backup is failing due to it not having enough free space 320 MB needed. If I open the Disk Management tool, that partition does not show up....
  4. cant create big partitions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant create big partitions: i have 394gb available in my disk and i want to create a partition with like 200gb, but it only allows me to create it with 37gb, what can i do? thanks for reading an sorry for bad english submitted by /u/isma_fdc [link] [comments]...
  5. Widows is too big for the partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Widows is too big for the partition: Hi all, Two years ago I bought a new laptop ZED brand just because it was too cheep, and it stayed in the box until last week. Widows is installed on the C drive and the drive is like 97% full while the D drive has 500 GB of free space Is it possible to borrow some space...
  6. Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?: I'm planning on installing Windows 10 (64 bits) on a 120gb SSD and also I will be using a 500gb HDD for other files. I would like to have other files on my SSD, should I divide my SSD in 2 partitions? If so, how big should the Windows 10 partition be? (Considering updates) Or...
  7. Install Windows 10 From Windows RE Tools Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 From Windows RE Tools Partition: Hello, I would like to replace my Windows 10 partition with GNU/Linux. If I leave Windows RE Tools partition on the SSD, will I be able to do a full Windows 10 restore again, from that Windows RE Tools partition? Thanks....
  8. Recovery partition is too big?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery partition is too big?: Hey! I am rocking a new 120gb Kingston SSD on my pc and here is the deal. Ive been making these restore points once every month. and i just recently got a notification that im out of space. Now i thought "Wait, windows already used 120 gigs of my ssd?" and went to my pc to...
  9. SSD and partition tool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD and partition tool: I have a notebook with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. I want to reduce partition where Windows 10 is installed and I see that in Control Panel there is a tool for managing partition. I wonder if this tool takes in consideration 4096 bytes alignment recommended for SSD. Thanks! 61541
  10. Snipping tool image too big!

in Windows 10 Support
    Snipping tool image too big!: When using the snipping tool in 10, I have noticed that the completed image is far too large for desktop background, this was not so when i first upgraded to 10, any help welcome, not very technical, so help please. 31833