Windows 10: Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed

Discus and support Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My old motherboard was broken so I had to replace it. I know that windows considers this a "new computer", but is there a way to transfer the license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Zwilson2, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Zwilson2 Win User

Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed

My old motherboard was broken so I had to replace it. I know that windows considers this a "new computer", but is there a way to transfer the license even though I could not deactivate my license on my old mobo.

:)

Zwilson2, Dec 23, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 23, 2018
  3. WhyMe Win User
    New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Dec 23, 2018
  4. socklosk Win User

New Motherboard and Reactivation

I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and model, but will be leaving everything else the same. Do you think Microsoft will reactivate it afterwards?

If not, I have backup images of my Windows 10, and was wondering if I could do a restore of my old system and purchase a new product code that would activate my already set up system?

socklosk, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed - Similar Threads - reactivation motherboard installed

2. Reactivating Windows 11 after installing new motherboard on Dell laptop with pre-installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating Windows 11 after installing new motherboard on Dell laptop with pre-installed...: HiI have issues with Reactivating Windows 11 after installing in July 2023 new motherboard on my Dell laptop with pre-installed Windows 10.I upgraded to Windows 11 in January 2022.It says, "Unable to activate Windows", "We can't reach our activation servers right now. Make...
  3. Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard: I guess my account didn't update to Windows 11 and I cannot rollback to Windows 10. Now I cannot activate Windows after installing a new motherboard and the troubleshooter is no help at all...keeps saying the servers are down, for over 12 hours now. What are my options for...
  4. Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard: I guess my account didn't update to Windows 11 and I cannot rollback to Windows 10. Now I cannot activate Windows after installing a new motherboard and the troubleshooter is no help at all...keeps saying the servers are down, for over 12 hours now. What are my options for...
  5. Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install: Hi Everyone, My PC was pre-built by Digital Storm. I ended up having to update some hardware including my motherboard. Now, I'm encountering an issue when trying to re-activate my license (which should be tied to my Live ID). When I get to the activation page in settings,...
  6. Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard

Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard: Got windows 7 Ultimate retail years ago and got Windows 10 pro upgrade. Finally upgraded motherboard and processor and windows won't activate from troubleshooter with error code 0xC004F213. Prior to upgrading I verified my license was digitally linked to my Microsoft...
  7. Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard: My old motherboard had a corrupted bios and I had to buy a new one. This was a system malfunction I didn't prepare for of course. Now Windows 10 is telling me that my copy is not genuine (when in fact it is). I have followed all the steps on the support page for this issue....
  8. Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard

Installing/reactivating Windows 10 after installing new motherboard: After a BIOS update, our computer is no longer usable. It turns on to a black screen and stays that way. We've been in touch with the manufacturer who sent out the update, but not having any success fixing it. A "Geek Squad" person, told us we would most likely need to...
  9. Can't reactivate windows after new motherboard install

Can't reactivate windows after new motherboard install: Hello, I recently installed a new motherboard and other new components, kept old hard drive though, but installed my OS onto an SSD. I am having trouble activating my OS, even though in my previous PC and OS are linked to my one and only Microsoft account which I am signed...
  10. New Motherboard and Reactivation

New Motherboard and Reactivation: I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and model, but will be leaving everything else the same. Do you think Microsoft will reactivate it afterwards? If not, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows reactivation after installing new motherboard