Windows 10: Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0

Discus and support Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I have an Asus ROG Strix x570-e Gaming wifi ii motherboard with 7 x Type A, 1 x Type C ports all of which are USB 3.2 gen 2 on the rear panel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Benjamin ToddRichey, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0

Hello,I have an Asus ROG Strix x570-e Gaming wifi ii motherboard with 7 x Type A, 1 x Type C ports all of which are USB 3.2 gen 2 on the rear panel I/,O and 2 x Type A, 1 x Type C on the front panel, again all 3.2 gen 2. The PC is running smoothly, however recently I plugged in my Meta Quest 2 like I always do but I was getting the message it was only plugged in a USB 2.0 but it used to show 3.0 just 2 months before when I last used it.So I unconnected the cable and restarted the PC but in USB tree it shows all my 3.0 root hubs but says all the ports still as 2.0 ,without any cable or device a

:)

Benjamin ToddRichey, Dec 7, 2023
  2. Sam3000 Win User

Why is my USB 3.1 gen 2 adapter (USB C Female to USB A Male) causing bottlenecking?

I recently picked up an SSD and enclosure with a built in USB Cable. CrystalDiskMark shows a >500MB/s read speed and >400MB/s write speed with a direct USB C connection to a USB 3.1 gen 2 port, so all good here.

But I also picked up these adaptors from amazon.co.uk to ensure I could connect the drive to more common USB type A ports. These adapters noted that they could handle the 10Gbit speeds of USB 3.1 gen 2, although they do note that when this is the case the "other side" (Type A side) runs at USB 2 speeds. Out of a lack of options I decided to give them a go nonetheless and the claim is true. But it's not as simple as saying "these must really just be USB 2 adaptors with a blue finish".

When using the adapter to connect the drive to a front panel USB 3.1 gen 1 port connected to the USB 3 motherboard header, the speeds are ~300MB/s and 400MB/s read and write respectively. So the adapter can handle high throughput but just can't when used in gen 1 or 2 ports on the IO panel of the motherboard itself. Maybe this is a motherboard issue...

Edit: Just verified this across 2 Desktop systems:

• Rear Motherboard IO (USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2) with adapter: ~40BM/s
      R/W
    • Rear Motherboard USB C with no adapter ~500MB/s R and ~400MB/s W
      (full speed)
    • Front panel IO connected to motherboard USB 3 header (gen 1) with
      adapter ~200MB/s R ~400MB/s W

What am I missing here? I have found only one adapter available that clearly states it has 10Gbit ports at either end but it's pricey so any alternative suggestions are welcome. Notably, it has a significant rectangle shape at the USB C side, maybe this is part of the explanation...? See below:

Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0 Z1QHv.jpg

Sam3000, Dec 7, 2023
  3. USB 2 port not working

I downloaded from hp and reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers, still the USB 2 port doesnt work. The board has the ethernet, USB 2 & 3 ports, and a SDHC port, all work except for the USB 2. I ordered a new board for $8, and will try that, but the solder
    connections on the board to the USB 2 port looked fine. This problem initially happened about 2 months after I bought the computer and never went further with it because the 2 USB 3 ports have been able to handle all I need, but now I need another port.

Jerry De La Cruz, Dec 7, 2023
  4. Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0

How to distinguish USB 3.2 gen 2 (10Gb/s) and gen 2*2 (20Gb/s) by c# code?

We have a device and a new PC both support USB 3.2 gen 2*2, the transfer speed is about 1GB per second, it's faster than USB 3.2 gen 2.

I want to know how to distinguish it with USB 3.2 Gen 2, the difference is Gen 2 use single lane, and Gen 2*2 use double lane.

But how to get the lane number?

I checked the device property via USBTreeViewer, but there is no property to indicate the difference.

Any one can give some tips? Thanks very much.

C# is better, C++ code is also OK.

Xiaokang Shi, Dec 7, 2023
Thema:

Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0

1. Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0 - Similar Threads - recognizes USB gen

2. Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recognizes all my USB 3.2 gen 2 ports as 2.0: Hello,I have an Asus ROG Strix x570-e Gaming wifi ii motherboard with 7 x Type A, 1 x Type C ports all of which are USB 3.2 gen 2 on the rear panel I/,O and 2 x Type A, 1 x Type C on the front panel, again all 3.2 gen 2. The PC is running smoothly, however recently I plugged...
  3. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives: The ports recognize mouse, keyboard, headset and card reader but not portable ssd drives. They are recognized in my other windows 10 OS on another disk so it seems to be some setting on my main Windows os. I checked USB suspend settings - disabled. Checked bios but can't be...
  4. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives: The ports recognize mouse, keyboard, headset and card reader but not portable ssd drives. They are recognized in my other windows 10 OS on another disk so it seems to be some setting on my main Windows os. I checked USB suspend settings - disabled. Checked bios but can't be...
  5. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  7. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  8. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

9. Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3: I got to thinking since my motherboard has two graphics card (16x) slots, but one is a Gen 2 and the other is a Gen 3, why can't I put my M2 SSD in the Gen 3 and my graphics card in the Gen 2. Wow what a differences in speed. Boot time is nothing now, downloads are simple a...
  10. USB 2 port not working

USB 2 port not working: The USB 2 port on my HP Pavillion laptop doesn't work; Device Manager doesn't recognize the port but there is power at the port and it will run a charger. The MS USB Troubleshooter responds with, "The USB Controller is in a failed state or is not currently installed." I've...