Windows 10: Windows Recovery Environment issue

Discus and support Windows Recovery Environment issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I create a WinRE flash drive from which to boot, the ADVANCED OPTIONS window contains 5 options to choose from. However, when I am already in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bromberg, Sep 21, 2016.

1. bromberg Win User

Windows Recovery Environment issue

When I create a WinRE flash drive from which to boot, the ADVANCED OPTIONS window contains 5 options to choose from.

However, when I am already in Windows 10 and click the following:
    SETTINGS → UPDATE & SECURITY → RECOVERY→ ADVANCED STARTUP → RESTART NOW button
    I now see a 6th option: "STARTUP SETTINGS"

My question is how may I see this additional 6th option when I boot from my flash drive (and may really need it!) ?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
    Dan

:)

bromberg, Sep 21, 2016
  2. MauriceSpeights, Sep 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Crashed

Hi Muhammed,

Windows might crash due to a system file corruption. The screen that you are in right now is the
    Windows Recovery Environment.
    Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) is a recovery environment that can repair common causes of unbootable operating systems.

If you are having startup issues, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article:

How to use Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to troubleshoot common startup issues

Note: Using the WinRE needs to have a system installation media.It is also included on the article on how to have it.

Let us know the results.

Janeane Cru, Sep 21, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  5. bromberg Win User
    bro67,
    Thanks for your reply, but considering how the missing option would help in rescuing I'm still puzzled by why (as I described in my original question) STARTUP SETTINGS is included in one way to restart and not the other.
    Dan

bromberg, Sep 21, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    There is no missing option. You are looking at this way too deep. The link I posted explains about the Windows Recovery Environment tool

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  7. Kyhi Win User
    From within the OS you can set the OS Startup Options..

There are no startup options for usb booting... ie no safe mode booting usb
    usb boots from its own files and has nothing to do with OS at all

8. bromberg Win User

I appreciate your point that "USB boots from its own files", but if I want to boot into SAFE MODE and my PC doesn't offer that option when I restart my PC, it would be convenient if the WinRE would offer that to me. wouldn't you agree?
    Dan

bromberg, Sep 22, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Safe Mode is not part of WinRE is what the others are trying to say ..... so not an option

but you can add it to your standard boot with a time of say 3-5 secs so you can use it if needed, fairly easily.

KB.

Kbird, Sep 22, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Read the information in the link I provided. WinRE is a rescue tool as the name states. It has nothing to do with booting up the PC. Apples and Oranges.

bro67, Sep 22, 2016
  11. bromberg Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I am clueless how I could "add it to your standard boot with a time of say 3-5 secs"; Unsure how that would be done and just curious why MS didn't do it (I still think it's a good option to have available) for us ?!?

bromberg, Sep 22, 2016
  12. Kbird Win User
    This is how I did it on one of my current systems...

Hit WinKey+x and select Command Prompt (Admin),

type bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Windows 10 Safe Mode" and hit Enter. (or copy and paste too)

Hit WinKey+x type msconfig, this runs System Configuration App,

navigate to the Boot tab. Highlight the Windows 10 Safe Mode option you just created, and below

tick Safe boot and select Minimal under Boot options and reduce the Timeout value to 5 secs. so you won't be held up at boot - the min. is three seconds, max 30 secs.

Tick Make all boot settings permanent on the RH Side then OK (ignore Dire warning about permanent)

Repeat the above steps, substituting suitable names in quotes at the Command Prompt, to create shortcuts for
    Safe Mode with Networking (tick Network rather than Minimal in System Configuration) or
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt ( tick Alternate shell).

If when you restart you don't see the Safe Mode Options created above , the you also need to set the Boot menu to display as well......... I Did....YMMV

To also add the Display of the Menu at boot with BCDEDIT

at a Admin Command Prompt again (Win key + X) type

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes <enter>

to reverse the display of the menu (only) , if needed use
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no <enter>

KB

Kbird, Sep 22, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

You open up msconfig then got to Boot and change the time delay. Microsoft has not done anything. Nothing has changed in how things are done, other than a change to the GUI with two modes for those who have devices like the Yoga and Surface.

bro67, Sep 23, 2016
  14. bromberg Win User
    KB,
    Thanks for your detailed explanation. I never heard of the BCEDIT command and now I plan to play with it !
    Dan

bromberg, Sep 23, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    then backup religiously with Macrium Reflect so you can get yourself out of trouble if Needed...and make the RESCUE disk...very important for Macrium.

BCDEdit Command-Line Options

KB

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Recovery Environment issue - Similar Threads - Recovery Environment issue

2. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery environment: I have been struggling for a few days/weeks now on enabling/recovering windows recovery environment as I have been experiencing odd issues of random crashes/freezing, restart not happening, shutting down not finishing, and repairing not happening, my Pc also will not install...
  3. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery environment: I have been struggling for a few days/weeks now on enabling/recovering windows recovery environment as I have been experiencing odd issues of random crashes/freezing, restart not happening, shutting down not finishing, and repairing not happening, my Pc also will not install...
  4. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery environment: When I turn on my pc, it says please wait then it goes to a menu shown in the screen shot and when I press "exit and continue to windows recovery system" it just restarts and goes back to the same menu. How do I fix this?...
  6. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery environment: When I turn on my pc, it says please wait then it goes to a menu shown in the screen shot and when I press "exit and continue to windows recovery system" it just restarts and goes back to the same menu. How do I fix this?...
  7. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows Recovery environment

Windows Recovery environment: I booted my pc today to a bsod with the error code Bad_system_config_info i have no idea what to do im kinda just lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-recovery-environment/90f7bd3e-2ad9-4618-a966-ed7545fb7dd4
  9. Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment: Recently my asus fx 505 laptop had errors so i decided to reinstall a new windows 10 with a flashdrive. I was wondering if there was any way i could recover my previous windows recovery environment or factory reset point from the windows.old after reinstalling a new windows...
  10. Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment: @Saltgrass just not sure what setting some of the Reagentc entries to "0" actually did. Both Winre.wim and Reagent.xml are under: C:\Windows\System32\Recovery If contains all 0's. ReAgentc will search for the Recovery Partition identified by ID type...