Windows 10: Windows Recovery Environment password

Discus and support Windows Recovery Environment password in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows Version 1903 Build 18362.175; Dell 8930 Please note I have searched through past postings on Windows passwords but none answer my problem. A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dangnad2, Mar 3, 2020.

1. dangnad2 Win User

Windows Recovery Environment password

Windows Version 1903 Build 18362.175; Dell 8930

Please note I have searched through past postings on Windows passwords but none answer my problem.

A month ago my Win10 Dell computer wouldn't boot. It took me to Windows Recovery Environment that required a password. Trouble is I have no password for Windows and never have. I do not want a password for Windows. I couldn't use Windows RE so had to use a bootable drive to get running again.

What is that password? I hit [Enter] (blank) but that was not the correct password. How can I find it if WRE comes up again?

:)

dangnad2, Mar 3, 2020

2. Missing Recovery Environment

Hi Alan,

Here is a link containing several useful suggestions to help you recover Windows 10. Since the error message that you got tells you to insert your Windows installation or recovery media. We suggest the perform the steps listed under
    Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC or you can also follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC. Please see the link below for more details:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    New Microsoft password rejected in the Recovery Environment

It's not just system restore that will ask for a password, almost all the recovery environment's troubleshooting options require you to give the password of a local administrator account before letting you proceed. You problem is that while you have changed your MS account password, the local account password hasn't changed.

I'm not sure how you'd go about changing the local account password while it is linked to your MS account. You may be able to switch to a local account, change the password to match the one you used for the MS account, then switch it back to an MS account. I don't use an MS account, so I can't test that for you.

What I can suggest is that you create a new local administrator account just for maintenance purposes and never link it to a MS account. Apart from anything else, it's always a sensible precaution to have a second administrator in case of problems signing in to your original one. When booting to any Advanced Start Up option that requires a password you can choose this local account instead, then you will know for certain which password to use.

Windows Recovery Environment password [​IMG]

Bree, Mar 3, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to access Windows Recovery Environment normally

Some entries in the bcd for the recovery environment is either corrupted or missing. To fix the problem, you;d need to rebuild the entries for the recovery environment.
    Here's the steps:
    1. Turn on folder options to show hidden files/folders. Open admin command then type: reagentc /disable
      - This will move 2 files from the recovery partition reagent.xml and winre.wim to C:\windows\system32\recovery
    2. If you have the Windows 10 ISO, double click on it to mount to a virtual cd/dvd else If you have the Windows 10 USB then navigate to Sources folder and look for install.esd or install.wim.
    3. Use 7-ZIP to open install.esd or install.wim, select and index. eg. 6 then navigate to Windows\system32\recovery. You'd see 2 files: Winre.wim and reagent.xml.
    4. Remove everything from C:\windows\system32\recovery (ie. your current winre.win and reagent.xml)
    5. Copy the new winre.wim and reagent.xml from the install.esd/install.wim to C:\windows\system32\Recovery
    6. From admin command, type: ReAgentc /enable
    Reboot to recovery. This will also fix the problem with shutdown /r /o

topgundcp, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Recovery Environment password - Similar Threads - Recovery Environment password

2. Windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery environment: When I turn on my pc, it says please wait then it goes to a menu shown in the screen shot and when I press "exit and continue to windows recovery system" it just restarts and goes back to the same menu. How do I fix this?...
  3. Recovery Environment password is always wrong

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Environment password is always wrong: I am locked out of Windows CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and I want to reset Windows 10 and keep my files, but I cant access safe mode. All I can access is the RE, but it asks me for a password to do anything except startup settings which dont work, all of them take me to the "your...
  4. Recovery Environment password is always wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Environment password is always wrong: I am locked out of Windows CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and I want to reset Windows 10 and keep my files, but I cant access safe mode. All I can access is the RE, but it asks me for a password to do anything except startup settings which dont work, all of them take me to the "your...
  5. Recovery Environment password is always wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Recovery Environment Password Incorrect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery Environment Password Incorrect: Hello all, For the past few weeks I've been having issues with booting my Asus laptop. There has been a few ongoing problems with drivers and windows update. But thats another story. Ultimately I'm in the recovery environment trying to refresh the windows install on my...
  7. Windows Recovery environment

Windows Recovery environment: I booted my pc today to a bsod with the error code Bad_system_config_info i have no idea what to do im kinda just lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-recovery-environment/90f7bd3e-2ad9-4618-a966-ed7545fb7dd4
  8. Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment

Windows 10 password, including Windows Recovery Environment: My wife is marginally technically literate and I am trying to help solve a problem with her computer. A few months after she bought her computer in 2018, she set up login details for her user account which is the only one on the computer. First she set up the fingerprint...
  9. Windows Recovery Environment Does Not Accept Passwords

Windows Recovery Environment Does Not Accept Passwords: When accessing a tool like Command Prompt or System Restore in Windows Recovery Environment, I click my user name, type in my password, and then an error message says "The password is incorrect". This is because I sign into my PC using my Microsoft Account, which Windows...
  10. Windows Recovery Environment

Windows Recovery Environment: @Saltgrass just not sure what setting some of the Reagentc entries to "0" actually did. Both Winre.wim and Reagent.xml are under: C:\Windows\System32\Recovery If contains all 0's. ReAgentc will search for the Recovery Partition identified by ID type...