Windows 10: Windows recovery USB & CD

Discus and support Windows recovery USB & CD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a recovery USB and a set of recovery CD's but it is not clear how to use them. The system I want to restore is still booting but some parts of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JP Ronse, Apr 14, 2021.

1. JP Ronse Win User

Windows recovery USB & CD

I have a recovery USB and a set of recovery CD's but it is not clear how to use them.

The system I want to restore is still booting but some parts of the Windows interface are missing e.g. the Start button doesn't work anymore, no pop-up.

:)

JP Ronse, Apr 14, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

4. Nikhar_K Win User

USB Recovery

Hi Janie,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • How are you creating the recovery USB?

However, you can follow the steps from Create a recovery drive
    to create a recovery drive.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows recovery USB & CD - Similar Threads - recovery USB

2. Bootable USB for Windows 10 Home 20H2 Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootable USB for Windows 10 Home 20H2 Recovery: Hi there,I used to create bootable USB for my Windows station by using MediaCreationTool, I did a couple time, last time I did it was 2-3 years ago. I suspect something may have changed since that time, and I can't remember all the details how I did it back then. Would you...
  3. Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive: Trying to reset my lenovo Y700. Created a recovery drive on a flash drive, booted from it to the reset tool. Tried reseting with "Just remove my files" option, failed with the following message "There was a problem reseting your PC.No changes were made." Tried resetting...
  4. Does the USB recovery drive contain the drivers that were installed on my PC at the time I...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does the USB recovery drive contain the drivers that were installed on my PC at the time I...: I used the Media Creation tool to do a clean install of Win 10 after my HD crashed. I then installed all the recent drivers from Acer's website, yet am seeing warnings in device manager that some devices are not recognized. More important, I have no blue tooth support after...
  5. Windows 10 USB recovery interrupted - help!

Windows 10 USB recovery interrupted - help!: Keeping my fingers crossed someone knows how to figure this out! My ASUS laptop started having OS issues a few weeks ago. I went through the repair functions a couple of times, and it'd limp along for another few days. I, of course, made a backup, just in case....
  6. Windows 10 USB recovery interrupted

Windows 10 USB recovery interrupted: Keeping my fingers crossed someone knows how to figure this out! My ASUS laptop started having OS issues a few weeks ago. I went through the repair functions a couple of times, and it'd limp along for another few days. I of course made a backup, just in case. Yesterday,...
  7. Recovery Usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Usb: So I have a recovery usb and i want to like change it into a normal usb to be used for storage. I have cleared the stuff inside it but ive came here to see if theres anything else i need to do to make it a normal usb....
  8. Fill RECOVERY D: drive from recovery USB drive?

Fill RECOVERY D: drive from recovery USB drive?: I successfully created a USB recovery drive F: but I accidentally deleted the RECOVERY D drive that now is empty. Is it possible to fill back it from the USB external drive F: I created? How? Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  9. How to upload recovery media on a USB for Windows 10

How to upload recovery media on a USB for Windows 10: My windows is dead and I have only access to BIOS and I have no more Bitlocker options on my PC, what can I do to regain access to my computer? I am not sure I can upload with USB since I have tried to upload Media Creation tools for Windows 10 and nothing happened. I have...
  10. Windows 10 USB boot recovery not working

Windows 10 USB boot recovery not working: Hello, My laptop stopped working recently so I downloaded and ran the windows 10 recovery tool, it worked perfectly the first time but after a while the laptop stopped working again, this time when I boot up the usb recovery tool, it still shows the blue windows logo but it...