Windows 10: Windows reducing speed of processing of long running program

Discus and support Windows reducing speed of processing of long running program in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am a retired systems analyst. In my free time I work on various projects I have long put to the side in windows 10 pro. Some of them involved long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JerryParrish1, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Windows reducing speed of processing of long running program

I am a retired systems analyst. In my free time I work on various projects I have long put to the side in windows 10 pro. Some of them involved long running programs. I have been trying to get one in particular to run recently. In the past it took 3-4 hours. Currently it is taking 5-6 days. In watching resource monitor and task manager during its run I have noticed that the cpu never gets above 10% usage and the hard drive more than 33% total. For my program it is more like 0.1%-2% cpu and hard drive reduced for an hour or so to less than 10mb/sec. My research indicates that increasing the priority will only add 1% performance increase max. And that is what I have observed.

Why is the execution being so limited when no other program is running?

How can I get the program to execute with more cycles and thus faster processing?

:)

JerryParrish1, Jan 13, 2021

2. Process running but not starting in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to run applications on Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may be due to application conflicts.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

• Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.

• Select Task Manager.

• Under process tab, locate the apps that are running.

• Right Click on the application and select End Task.

• Please try accessing the application again and check if you are able to run the application.
    If the issue persists, I suggest you to run
    the program in Compatibility mode, please follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Program
    • Click on Properties
    • Click on Compatibility tab
    • Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Davidk03 Win User
    Program running a background process?

I'm running Corel Video Studio 2018, and it's updates function shows characteristics of a background process:

- the program has an auto check daily plus a manual option for updates

- manually checked, presented with an option of downloading an update and Ok'd, evidence of any activity vanishes from the program workspace, yet the connected internet modem activity light begins running hot as the download happens

- it's repeatable over several up-date cycles

The evidence seems to suggest a background activity - whilst the program/PC is free to use for other things. Several software packages do this.

However, a check in task manager/processes, show all, does not display any info of a related background process for any Corel or Video Studio program. If a background process is being used by the software, MUST it be listed in the task manager/processes
    list?

Platform is windows 7 home sp1 64bit plus the important patches.

Davidk03, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Windows reducing speed of processing of long running program

Open a running program

Hi,

Which program are you referring to?

If Windows states that the program but can't see it, then I would suggest you check in the task manager if the program is running in the background. Right click on the start menu and select "Task manager" and check if the process is listed in the processes
    that are running currently. If yes, right click on the program and click on "End task" to end the process completely. Now restart the PC and try launching the program. If the issue persists, get back to us with the name of the application that you are trying
    to use so that we can check suggest accordingly.

Bennet Martin, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows reducing speed of processing of long running program

1. Windows reducing speed of processing of long running program - Similar Threads - reducing speed processing

2. compiler taking too long to run a program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compiler taking too long to run a program: my compiler is taking too long to run a program. For a simple program to print 'hello' it takes 6-10 sec. so you please tell me the solution about it....
  3. compiler taking too long to run a program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compiler taking too long to run a program: my compiler is taking too long to run a program. For a simple program to print 'hello' it takes 6-10 sec. so you please tell me the solution about it....
  4. Ethernet speed reduced by PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet speed reduced by PC: I have a gigabit net and sometimes I can use it without problems on my pc, but other times when I go to the internet device in the internet device manager, it says that it only does 100mbps instead of 1gb even when I set it to do speed and duplex 1gb or auto-negotiation, I've...
  5. Ethernet speed reduced by PC

Ethernet speed reduced by PC: I have a gigabit net and sometimes I can use it without problems on my pc, but other times when I go to the internet device in the internet device manager, it says that it only does 100mbps instead of 1gb even when I set it to do speed and duplex 1gb or auto-negotiation, I've...
  6. Programs run at half speed if logged out

Programs run at half speed if logged out: Hello,I am having issues when accessing my windows PC remotely via RDP. The connection works flawlessly, but if I end the RDP session, then I am automatically logged out of my account, meaning that I am again at the windows login screen. This would not be a problem, but if I...
  7. Programs run at half speed if logged out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs run at half speed if logged out: Hello,I am having issues when accessing my windows PC remotely via RDP. The connection works flawlessly, but if I end the RDP session, then I am automatically logged out of my account, meaning that I am again at the windows login screen. This would not be a problem, but if I...
  8. DPC Latemcy Due to Process Running Too Long

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DPC Latemcy Due to Process Running Too Long: Let's be frank: I've posted before. Sadly, none of the suggestions since seem to be the solution. The last thing I tried to do was update my Realtek changing it over to a High Definition Audio, and after a brief test using Twitch yesterday, the clicks and pops started coming...
  9. Windows reducing ethernet speed and connection issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows reducing ethernet speed and connection issues: Windows keeps resetting the network speed to 100mbps. When I set the speed to "1.0 Gbps full duplex" after a short period there are connectivity issues - the network cuts out and turns back on a few times, then comes back on with the speed reduced to 100mbps. Using a tplink...
  10. Wifi speed is reduced on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi speed is reduced on Windows 10: Hello, Dear Microsoft Community, I've felt that my wifi speed on my windows 10 device is getting slower, while on my smartphone it is always consistent, I would appreciate if you share with me tips to accelerate my wifi speed on Windows 10! Thanks in advance!...