Windows 10: windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working

Discus and support windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone I am unable to format or reset my lenovo laptop as it does not have enough space. I can not even access my 'settings' tab and anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CHIPOMAZIVA, Feb 1, 2020.

1. windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working

Hi everyone

I am unable to format or reset my lenovo laptop as it does not have enough space. I can not even access my 'settings' tab and anything much including the windows icon on my bottom left corner. I downloaded the windows reset tool and it is not working. How can I delete everything in my computer, even a force reset or format. The desktop screen has been blinking, the task manager does not. how I can I rest it to start afresh?

:)

CHIPOMAZIVA, Feb 1, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Feb 1, 2020
  3. qubit Win User
    Microsoft Details Reset and Refresh Features Built Into Windows 8

InfoWorld isn't so impressed with this feature and their article makes for interesting reading. Me? I'm not so negative about it as I think it sounds useful.

So, what do you think of it?

qubit, Feb 1, 2020
  4. windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working

Microsoft Details Reset and Refresh Features Built Into Windows 8

In the latest Building Windows 8 blog post (published yesterday) Microsoft is talking about the options available to 'rekindle' the flame of a Windows 8 install. These options include the definitive Reset, which will basically re-install Windows and remove all personal data, apps, and settings from the system, and the less 'damaging' Refresh, which will reinstall Windows or restore a previously-created image of the OS, while keeping data, settings, Metro style apps and such, untouched.

windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working windows_8_reset_refresh_01_thm.jpg

windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working windows_8_reset_refresh_02_thm.jpg

windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working windows_8_reset_refresh_03_thm.jpg

To do a Reset, users will need to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) that will handle the actual data erasing tasks and proceed with re-installing the operating system. The drive format can either be 'Quick' to save time, or 'Thorough', to ensure that the data erased will be very hard to restore. At the end of the Reset process, you'll get a new Windows install, just waiting to be customized.

For people who don't want to start from scratch the Refresh option (which is also accessible via Windows RE) will be the way to go since the result will be a new OS that feels a lot like the one you're used to, hopefully minus any issues brought on by certain apps or settings. Now, the Refresh function will 'transition' data, settings, and apps from the old to the new Windows install, but not everything will be as it was. By default, a Refresh will restore only Metro style apps, so any desktops apps you have, say Photoshop, Chrome, Steam, have to be re-installed. Also, not all settings will be preserved. According to Microsoft, the File type associations, Display settings and Windows Firewall settings are among the things a Refresh won't restore.

Another Refresh option involves creating an image of Windows 8 using the recimg.exe command line tool, and restoring it when things go south.

"After you've created the custom image, whenever you refresh your PC, not only will you be able to keep your personal data, settings, and Metro style apps, but you can restore all the desktop apps in your custom image as well," says Desmond Lee on the Building Windows 8 blog. "And if you buy a PC that already comes with a recovery image on a hidden partition, you'll be able to use the tool to switch from using the hidden partition to instead use the custom image you've created."

Using a copy of the Windows 8 Developer Preview, Microsoft tested out both Refresh and Reset to prove they are time-saving options. The results show that a Reset (on a system without BitLocker encryption enabled) took 23 minutes and 52 seconds, while a Reset (Quick) took just 6 minutes and 12 seconds. A Refresh required 8 minutes and 22 seconds to complete. That's quite fast but still, let's hope we won't have to do Resets or Refreshes too often.

Source: Building Windows 8

Cristian_25H, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working

1. windows refresh tool not working/ reset and format not working - Similar Threads - refresh tool working

2. refresh button is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    refresh button is not working: I updated my laptop to 22h2 now when i pressing on refresh button my deskstop icons are not flashing help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-button-is-not-working/ac5d21f8-e7f9-4505-b9a5-4cddfb56c83a
  3. refresh button is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    refresh button is not working: I updated my laptop to 22h2 now when i pressing on refresh button my deskstop icons are not flashing help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-button-is-not-working/ac5d21f8-e7f9-4505-b9a5-4cddfb56c83a
  4. refresh button is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    refresh button is not working: I updated my laptop to 22h2 now when i pressing on refresh button my deskstop icons are not flashing help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-button-is-not-working/a50a9b41-fabd-48bd-8266-14fd54f6176b
  5. refresh button is not working

refresh button is not working: I updated my laptop to 22h2 now when i pressing on refresh button my deskstop icons are not flashing help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-button-is-not-working/a50a9b41-fabd-48bd-8266-14fd54f6176b
  6. Snipping tool not working

Snipping tool not working: I'm trying to use the Snipping Tool Windows+Shift+S but when it opens up to let me select which part of the screen to select, it blanks out the entire screen so that there is nothing to select. I'm not sure when this stopped working since I do not use it very often. I'm...
  7. Snipping Tool no working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping Tool no working: I have recently installed Windows 11 and it seems the Snipping tool is not working. I am getting the following message A problem with Windows is preventing Screen Snipping from opening. Refreshing your PC might help fix it.I have tried resetting, repairing and also uninstall...
  8. Snipping Tool no working

Snipping Tool no working: I have recently installed Windows 11 and it seems the Snipping tool is not working. I am getting the following message A problem with Windows is preventing Screen Snipping from opening. Refreshing your PC might help fix it.I have tried resetting, repairing and also uninstall...
  9. Refresh Windows Tool not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Refresh Windows Tool not working: Hello, I need to perform a clean installation on a remote PC, and I guess right now the only option I have is to use the Windows 10 Refresh tool. But when I run the tool it says: "the language or edition of the version of windows currently installed is not supported by this...
  10. Fn + F5 Refresh not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fn + F5 Refresh not working: Fn + f5 refresh is not working instead i have to Win + f5 for refreshing. please help!!!! Also i have to click Fn + f11 / f12 for increseing/decreasing brightness. previously i used to Fn + f5 for refresh i never needed to win + any function keys....