Windows 10: Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit?

Discus and support Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Do I need to use regedit to delete some printer drivers that Windows refuses to delete normally? This post is a continuation of the issue in this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by x509, Dec 10, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit?

Do I need to use regedit to delete some printer drivers that Windows refuses to delete normally?

This post is a continuation of the issue in this thread: Deleted printer still shows up in Windows, prevents print operations. I followed the instructions in the last message in that thread to remove all references to HP printer drivers, but Windows denied access to the *.inf files.

To summarize, on my wife's Lenovo730 laptop, Win 10 Home (but will upgrade when I can to Pro), there are 2 HP 400 Laserjet installs. The APOLLO link is still present, even though I zapped all HP LaserJet drivers on APOLLO and the Devices & Printers window doesn't show this printer anymore.

Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit? [​IMG]

The "HP LaserJet 400 M401 PCL 6 on APOLLO refers to a printer install on system APOLLO that was deleted 3 days ago. The "HP LaserJet 400 M401 PCL6" refers to a new install via USB of the same printer on my wife's Lenovo laptop. I deleted both these printers in Control Panel / Devices & Printers and the operation seemed to work, but after I rebooted the system, the printer re-appeared. Right now Firefox won't print because of a "LaserJet" printer.

I followed the instructions from the prior thread to try to delete the drivers for these two printers, but Windows refused:

So I did a regedit search and found this key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers\APOLLO\Printers\{A2BE63E6-EA6B-4947-B7D5-D001E272D8C5}
    Here is the partial data for this key. Notice the reference to APOLLO.

So is it OK to delete this key? Is it necessary to delete this key and the corresponding key for the other HP 400 printer install?
    Is there a tutorial? Moderators: If you want to do a tutorial, I will be very happy to help out.

:)

2. Nikhar_K Win User

HP Printer messed up

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate the efforts you have taken in trying to resolve this issue. We understand that after an update you are unable to print from your HP printer. However, it would be great if you can help us with the details mentioned below:

• Do you receive any error message/code when you try to print? If yes, what is the error message?
    • Were you able to install the drivers successfully?
    • May I know which update was installed on the computer recently? To check go to
      Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.

We would suggest you to check if the Printer is listed in Device Manager. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Printers and check if the Printer is listed.

We would suggest you to run HP Print and Scan Doctor on your computer and see if that helps. The HP Print and Scan Doctor will automatically detect for the issues and diagnose them. You can download the HP Print and Scan Doctor from the
    Utility-Diagnostic Tool section in
    HP LaserJet Pro M203dw Printer

For additional information, see
    Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows 10

As you have mentioned that you are unable to remove the printer from the computer, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and remove the traces of the printer from the registry, restart the computer and then try installing the drivers.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer the article to
    Create a system restore point

Step 1: Restart Print Spooler service

1. Press Windows key + R, type
      services.msc
      and click on OK.
    2. Now, look for Print Spooler service, right click on it and select
      Restart.

Step 2: Cancel print jobs

1. Search for Print management (PMC) on the search bar in the
      Taskbar and open it.
    2. Click on Printers, select all the printers (Press
      Ctrl when selecting), right click and select
      Cancel all jobs
      to delete the pending print jobs.
    3. If PMC is not available, open printer’s print queue via
      Settings (Windows key + I, Devices) and
      cancel all pending print jobs.

Step 3: Remove all third-party printers

control printers
      and click on OK.
    2. Now, right click on the third party printers and select
      Remove.
    3. If this doesn’t work, press Windows key + R, type
      regedit and click on OK.
    4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
    5. Under Printers, delete all the third party printers except:
    • Fax
    • Microsoft Print to PDF
    • Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    • OneNote
    • Send To OneNote2016

Step 4: Remove all third-party drivers

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Devices, and select
      Printers & scanners
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, click on Print server properties and select the
      Drivers tab.
    4. Remove all the third party drivers. Do not remove any
      Microsoft print driver.

Step 5: Uninstall OEM software

appwiz.cpl
      and click on OK.
    2. Find and uninstall all the printer related
      OEM
      software.
    3. Verify the same from registry by navigating to
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitor

4. Delete all the third party print monitor from the location except:
    • Local Port
    • LPR Port
    • Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor
    • Standard TCP/IP Port
    • USB Monitor
    • WSD Port

Step 6: Set Print Spooler service Startup Type to Automatic

services.msc
      and click on OK.
    2. Look for Print Spooler service and double click on it.
    3. Set the Startup Type to Automatic from the drop down.
    4. Restart the computer

Step 7: Re-add the printer

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Devices, and select
      Printers & scanners
      on the left pane.
    3. Select Add Printer or Scanner to re-add the device.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 10, 2019
  3. PT
    pt Win User
    regedit help

any step by step guide?
    that is like chinese to me

edit:
    i did this that you posted and deleted after and it worked:
    psexec -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe

but the problem is still there *Frown Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit? :(

4. Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit?

Hp printer

Hello Vanessa,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • What is the model of your printer?
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps in this
    article
    on how to resolve printer issues in Windows 10.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit?

1. Windows refused to delete HP Printers, do I need to use regedit? - Similar Threads - refused delete Printers

2. Need windows 10 for hp printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need windows 10 for hp printer: windows 10 is needed for printer to run* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-for-hp-printer/dd70a063-accf-4c47-876b-9aca01861724
  3. DO I NEED OFFICE TO RUN WIRELESS HP PRINTER

DO I NEED OFFICE TO RUN WIRELESS HP PRINTER: do i need office to run hp wireless printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-office-to-run-wireless-hp-printer/cb8a4354-6ebd-465f-a914-67ffe2a1d699
  4. .bak profile deleted using the regedit

.bak profile deleted using the regedit: hello..need help here.. i've deleted my .bak profile using the regedit..i thot it was the profile w/ error..leaving the temporary profile & using it now as the main profile..i can't system restore nor create one..what will i do..cant access the files of my computer. can i...
  5. i deleted a file in regedit what should i do i deleted the sizer file in regedit is it fine...

in Windows 10 Customization
    i deleted a file in regedit what should i do i deleted the sizer file in regedit is it fine...: i deleted a file in regedit what should i do i deleted the sizer file in regedit is it fine Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer...
  6. i deleted a file in regedit what should i do

i deleted a file in regedit what should i do: i deleted the sizer file in regedit is it fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-deleted-a-file-in-regedit-what-should-i-do/351d18ae-192c-4915-a44c-132bf760900e
  7. Deleting multiple entries using regedit

Deleting multiple entries using regedit: Hi, having massive problems with iTunes on my desktop. Have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times but still having problems. Have uninstalled all Apple related software, but still having issues. As a last resort, I want to delete all occurrences of iTunes in the...
  8. How do I delete a file that refuses to delete

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I delete a file that refuses to delete: I tried to delete this dumb game called March of empires war of lords and everytime I try it wants the administrators permission I am logged in o that account. submitted by /u/tf2andsot [link] [comments]...
  9. Do I need HP Google Plug In if I do not have HP or Google Chrome or any Printer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Do I need HP Google Plug In if I do not have HP or Google Chrome or any Printer?: I had an HP Printer, but started having issues with it, because I use Ethernet, and for some reason it would constantly try to revert to WiFi and I have my WiFi disabled because I am in a 9 Story Building. With that HP product constantly doing that, and creating other...
  10. RegEdit - Can I delete this ?

in Windows 10 Support
    RegEdit - Can I delete this ?: When I open "Regedit" - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and "HKEY_USERS" a number of points that has the same name. Can these are marked on the image be deleted or they still have a function. ? What software is the best reg cleaner (currently using "CCleaner") [img] 73933