Windows 10: WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI

Discus and support WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, My laptop (specs listed in other under system specs) uses a Samsung PM830 SSD. Samsung Magician says it doesnt support this drive, even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArazelEternal, Mar 20, 2017.

1. WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI

Hello all,

My laptop (specs listed in other under system specs) uses a Samsung PM830 SSD. Samsung Magician says it doesnt support this drive, even though the online documentation says it does. The only reason for this that Ive been able to find is because the laptop is set up to run drives in RAID or what Intel calls IRRT. I read somewhere that for Magician to see the drive, it has to be run as AHCI. So what Im looking to do is switch it over to AHCI from RAID. I know this will take a reinstall of Windows to do, but I dont want to do it from scratch. I have a backup of the OS drive made using AOMEI Backupper.

My question is, can I switch it over and restore the system using this backup, or will it force me to do a clean install?

:)

ArazelEternal, Mar 20, 2017

2. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Install on M.2 SSD

I have found the casue.

If you are running the 950PRO in AHCI mode on G752vy 1607 update wont work. The AHCI mode is buggy.

Keep pressing ESC when machine boots until you see boot option menu. If you got only "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER" as the option to boot from 950PRO without the full SSD name trailing it, the update will not work. Ahci driver will not properly detect and present
    950PRO to the system. In fact this happens on many NVME SSDs. Some of which I tested wont even show up as a boot option or sometimes they will. Really hit and miss.

The solution is to go back to RAID mode, but it is not simple as reinstalling Windows 10 on NVME SSD will not work due to Windows Setup BSODing with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or WATCHDOG_VIOLATION during loading Intel RAID driver. I suspect NVME driver in BIOS
    is also buggy,but at least it allows 1607 update to work in RAID mode.

You can wait for a new BIOS from ASUS or go back to RAID mode.

Here is how to go back to RAID.

SebastianByczkowski, Mar 20, 2017
  3. skyhack Win User
    Windows 10 dual boot, 64bit installed, but 32 bit won't.

Well, that was easy.

RAID was activated in the BIOS. Switched to AHCI, and everything seems to be doing fine.

skyhack, Mar 20, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI

My experience with any changes that affect a drive, particularly a boot/system drive, are best done fully clean so be sure to back up/save any data you created or that exists nowhere else to a different drive/location first.

Berton, Mar 20, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I believe the change from RAID to AHCI will require a new system partition to be written to the SSD to get it to boot, but not sure. The way to save your current Windows OS is to make yourself a bootable USB flash drive of Kyhi's recovery drive:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Once you are sure you can boot into Kyhi's recovery drive, boot into your normal Windows 10 in safe mode. Uninstall the RAID hard drive controller in device manager. Shut down the computer - do not restart. Change the drive controller to AHCI mode in BIOS/UEFI. See if the computer will boot from the SSD. I doubt it will, but if it does, restart Windows 10 in normal mode and you should be good to go. You'll have to manually install the Intel IRST driver for the Standard AHCI Controller that will appear in device manager.

If the computer won't boot from the SSD, boot it from Kyhi's recovery tools USB flash drive or DVD. Make a backup image copy of your Windows 10 OS partition onto an external storage using Macrium Reflect. The Windows 10 you are creating a backup of should still be in the state to boot into safe mode with the previous drive controller deleted. Boot from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD (see my quotes in the middle of Kyhi's OP for a helpful hint) and clean install Windows 10 to the SSD to establish the proper system partition to boot from it.

Then go back to Macrium Reflect and restore your old Windows 10 OS partition right over the top of the new one. Run the utility to fix Windows startup problems in Macrium Reflect. Then reboot from the SSD, turn off Windows 10 safe mode and it will pick up a standard AHCI drive controller.

Then you will have to go back and manually install the Intel IRST driver for the disk controller in AHCI mode and you're good to go.

NavyLCDR, Mar 20, 2017
  6. Okay, I did all of that. Got the system back up and running with the SATA mode set to AHCI rather than RAID, everything seems to be working great. However, Samsung Magician still says that the SSD is not supported contrary to both the online documentation and the documentation it came with. Im starting to wonder if this isnt some Dell specific version of the PM830, or a version of it that just isnt supported.

ArazelEternal, Mar 20, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you replace the standard AHCI controller with Intel's driver?

WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2017
  8. WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI

I didn't do so manually. I downloaded the driver from intels website and tried the installer. It threw an error saying "This platform is not supported. I'll try updating it manually when I get home. I'm on the road at the moment.

ArazelEternal, Mar 21, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then you have to download the next lower version.

WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI [​IMG]

After you get the 14.8.0 driver installed, then do Update Drivers again and this time select the automatic update option and you will get 14.10.0 from Windows Update.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2017
  10. So, Ive got the second newest driver for IRST installed now and Magician still tells me that its unsupported. I did some more looking around, apparantly this isnt an uncommon issue. This looks to be a Dell specific SSD manufactured by Samsung, so Samsung doesnt support it directly and Dell doesnt have any firmware updates for this SSD that I can find. Looks like I am SOL for using Magician on the drive.

ArazelEternal, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI

1. WIndows Reinstall Switch From RAID to AHCI - Similar Threads - Reinstall Switch RAID

2. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  3. Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities: I have MSI Titan GT80 SLI running latest Win10... actually two of them configured nearly identically. Both came with the RAID enabled. I undid the RAID. Now the disks are separate and the OS is just on one disk. Ever since then, I lost the ability to reboot. It comes down and...
  4. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  5. Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10: Hi there, I have a Dell XPS 13 7390, x64, Microsoft Windows 10 Home, IntelR CoreTM i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 core, bios: 1.4.0, latest version, 16,0 GB. I need to change my setting from RAID to AHCI, but want to avoid a new installation of Windows 10...
  6. How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10

How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10: How do I change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10, so I can use a MSATA SSD for caching with IRST? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-from-ahci-to-raid-without/0d2b9a8a-f8d8-4a67-ac73-9fab3f217d03
  7. Switch from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  8. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  9. Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI)

Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI): Hi there, When the time came to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 I decided to run the upgrade then shortly afterwards, to alleviate some outstanding issues, I went ahead and did a fresh install to 10. At the time I had a spare 60Gb SSD going unused so I decided to attempt to...
  10. Switch from AHCI to RAID

Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reinstall windows to work with ahci ssd

2. Intel RAID to ACHI reinstall OS

3. reinstall windows onto a raid o nvme drive

4. ahci windows clean install with two drives