Windows 10: Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared

Discus and support Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my only desktop, it went along fine and I had my brother help me through it. Nothing was lost and it seemed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MerlenR, May 27, 2019.

1. MerlenR Win User

Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my only desktop, it went along fine and I had my brother help me through it. Nothing was lost and it seemed to have gone through as it should.
    I grabbed specific programs I wanted to keep from Windows.old folder that Windows created to put a good amount of programs and other files.
    Everything was fine in that folder, I sifted through it and grabbed things I wanted to keep and had no plan of wiping the folder anytime soon for I assumed far later in the future I'll still want to grab certain files and programs from it.

Shortly before I created an account to post on here, I noticed that the Windows.old folder was completely empty except a few empty folders (Perflogs, Users, WINDOWS, Recovery) but all the folders are also empty through themselves and other contained folders.

Why did all of my files randomly get deleted? Everything was there and working after I had reinstalled Windows and I had even grabbed specific programs and other select files from it to bring back to work in Windows.

I had not moved or deleted a single file in that folder, nor have I had any plans to.
    Does anyone have a clue what Windows could have done that wiped all my data without asking?

:)

MerlenR, May 27, 2019

2. Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, May 27, 2019
  3. Pech_096 Win User
    The option converting m4a files to wma files in windows 10 is disappeared

• What app are you using to convert the files?
    I don't use any app to convert the files. I just copy the m4a files from my music folder. Then I paste the m4a files in my android phone drive that connected to my laptop. Then a windows pop-up that shows the option converting m4a files to wma files appears.
    You can see the windows pop-up in below picture. Now the windows pop-up is disappeared.

Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared b4c1c11b-71d2-4bbb-a1ed-65ca65cf6f71.jpg

This picture was taken a screenshot from the video

• When did the issue start to happen?
    I found this problem last week. However, I didn't convert m4a files to wma files since May, 2017.

• Were there any changes made to your device prior to the issue?
    I updated windows several times prior to the issue.

• Have you done any troubleshooting steps so far?
    I haven't done any troubleshooting steps.

Pech_096, May 27, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared - Similar Threads - Reinstallation Kept Files

2. Copilot disappear after reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copilot disappear after reinstalling windows: Hi there, I used to have copilot in Windows version 23H2 on both machines, seemingly. I had to reinstall the windows on one of the machines afterward the freshly installed windows did include Copilot. I kept this fresh version up to date; the region is precisely the same as...
  3. Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.: I kept noticing my storage keeps disappearing even though I am not downloading anything at the moment. I am not sure exactly if I downloaded anything or I just didn't notice. I would have 50gb free and then a few days later I might have 35gb. I can probably account for 90% of...
  4. Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.

Unknown Files in Storage. Also, storage kept disappearing.: I kept noticing my storage keeps disappearing even though I am not downloading anything at the moment. I am not sure exactly if I downloaded anything or I just didn't notice. I would have 50gb free and then a few days later I might have 35gb. I can probably account for 90% of...
  5. Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?: After i upgrade to windows 11 will i keep my apps, files and programs or will i need to have a backup plan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-files-kept-with-upgrade-to-windows-11/86595678-3d28-410d-8cc1-03c3f193e9af
  6. Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?

Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?: After i upgrade to windows 11 will i keep my apps, files and programs or will i need to have a backup plan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-files-kept-with-upgrade-to-windows-11/86595678-3d28-410d-8cc1-03c3f193e9af
  7. windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later: Hello, I am starting to have a problem with a windows/system32/cmd.exe window popping up at random times on my laptop and disappearing a second later. it usually closes my chrome tabs and reopen them as well. I am currently using a windows 11 laptop and it is really starting...
  8. windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later

windows/system32/cmd.exe Kept popping out and disappearing a second later: Hello, I am starting to have a problem with a windows/system32/cmd.exe window popping up at random times on my laptop and disappearing a second later. it usually closes my chrome tabs and reopen them as well. I am currently using a windows 11 laptop and it is really starting...
  9. Recover files kept in reinstall Windows 10 process

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover files kept in reinstall Windows 10 process: Windows 10 would not boot. We tried to reinstall but selected the "keep files" option. Where are those files then located? Not finding them when now back in to the old hard drive....
  10. Windows 10 Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Reinstallation - Kept Files Disappeared: I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my only desktop since I was told it (may) help things run a bit smoother, it went along fine and I had my brother help me through it. Nothing was lost and it seemed to have gone through as it should. I grabbed specific programs I wanted to...