Windows 10: Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

Discus and support Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can get another service like VNC to listen on port 3389, and I can test connectivity to that port to verify it is not network/firewall related. RDP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexTheAlex, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

I can get another service like VNC to listen on port 3389, and I can test connectivity to that port to verify it is not network/firewall related. RDP doesn't generate any errors. The service starts like normal, and if I restart it, it restarts like normal. I have enabled NLA, and disabled self signed cert generation. I have a valid cert from the CA and I can RDP to other machines from that machine with the same cert. It is receiving GPO, same as other machines. Everything looks right, but netstat -ano doesn't show anything listening on port 3389.

:)

AlexTheAlex, Oct 6, 2021

2. Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389

I have a PC that is a host to our database. It has Windows 10 Pro on it. I am attempting to use Remote Desktop (RD). I have disabled firewall and configured router for port 3389. When I use a port checker, it times out. Appears that the PC is not
    listening to the port. I have verified the Remote Desktop is port 3389. If I do all the same steps on another PC workstation, I can remote in and port checker sees open 3389 port.

After comparing the problem PC to working ones, I do not see Remote Desktop Camera Bus, RD Device Redirector Bus, or RD USB Hub under Device Manager. Also in Services, Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector will not start, or at least stay started.
    There is an immediate message that says it started then stopped due to not being used.

The registry items appear to be ok. I have even tried to import RDP-Tcp from a working PC and no change.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix or what else to check? Any help is much appreciated.

Corey Olmsted, Oct 6, 2021
  3. comnuts Win User
    Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389

Hi and thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. Please allow me to assist with your issue.

When you configured your PC, did you enable Remote Desktop? You can check this article for the steps, under "How to Enable Remote Desktop".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server...

Please let me know if I can help you further!

comnuts, Oct 6, 2021
  4. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

RDP port 3389 stopped listening.

RDP port 3389 just stopped listening after some of the updates, netstat -an command doesn't list it.
    Remote Desktop Service is displayed as Running, but Event Viewer has following error:

Remote Desktop Service start failed. The relevant status code was 0x80070721.

Gwynbleidd, Oct 6, 2021
Thema:

Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

1. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port. - Similar Threads - Remote Desktop Services

2. Remote Desktop to different port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop to different port: I have used remote desktop with a ssh tunnel to log into remote machines over the internet. This was accomplished by pointing to localhost:someport. Windows 11 RDP complains that I can't specify a port : is illegal. Is there a way around this???Thanks...
  3. Remote Desktop to different port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop to different port: I have used remote desktop with a ssh tunnel to log into remote machines over the internet. This was accomplished by pointing to localhost:someport. Windows 11 RDP complains that I can't specify a port : is illegal. Is there a way around this???Thanks...
  4. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.: I can get another service like VNC to listen on port 3389, and I can test connectivity to that port to verify it is not network/firewall related. RDP doesn't generate any errors. The service starts like normal, and if I restart it, it restarts like normal. I have enabled NLA,...
  5. Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Remote Desktop Services enabled - but not listening on any port.: I can get another service like VNC to listen on port 3389, and I can test connectivity to that port to verify it is not network/firewall related. RDP doesn't generate any errors. The service starts like normal, and if I restart it, it restarts like normal. I have enabled NLA,...
  6. How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely: To enable Remote Desktop Services (RDP) you might need to either use Group Policies or by physical access on the computer or server. Remotely you would need to use command line with PSTools which can be downloaded here. Once downloaded and extracted type in the below...
  7. Remote Desktop Service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Service: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-service-%EC%8B%9C%EC%9E%91%EC%9D%B4/2413d62f-1d3a-409f-840d-a0e91aabc78a
  8. How to enable Remote Desktop Service into Windows 10 home edition?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enable Remote Desktop Service into Windows 10 home edition?: Hi everyone, I am a self learner and I am currently learning Microsoft Azure. I have created a virtual Machine into Azure not to access my Virtual Machine I have do remote desktop connection but I am getting error while enabling remote desktop service into my laptop that "...
  9. Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop not working - Not listening to port 3389: I have a PC that is a host to our database. It has Windows 10 Pro on it. I am attempting to use Remote Desktop RD. I have disabled firewall and configured router for port 3389. When I use a port checker, it times out. Appears that the PC is not listening to the port. I...
  10. How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely: To enable Remote Desktop Services (RDP) you might need to either use Group Policies or by physical access on the computer or server. Remotely you would need to use command line with PSTools which can be downloaded here. Once downloaded and extracted type in the below...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rdp port is not listening