Windows 10: Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover

Discus and support Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I’ve just build my first PC and as well as a new installation of Windows on an NVMe SSD, I’ve kept an older installation of windows on a SATA SSD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by paddyb66, Aug 13, 2020.

1. paddyb66 Win User

Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover

I’ve just build my first PC and as well as a new installation of Windows on an NVMe SSD, I’ve kept an older installation of windows on a SATA SSD. Until yesterday, I’ve had no problems using either of them, just hitting F2 and changing the boot drive. It was after “tidying up” the old installation yesterday that I ran into problem. I was moving files to the drive with the other installation, deleting some unneeded soft and generally trying to free up some space. The last thing I was trying to do was move the windows.old folder to a backup drive, which I realise now is not something that can be done with explorer. I gave up on that and rebooted, and update system option. When it rebooted it went into “Diagnosing your PC”, and just hung there. After a few reboots I eventually got to the repair options, but Automatic Repair didn’t work. I’ve also tried:

· System Restore - No restore points found for that drive

· Delete Updates - It wouldn’t let me

· Tried another Automatic Repair

· Booted from a Window installation USB and tried repairing from there, same results

· Rebooting in safe mode - flashed up briefly and then went to automatic repair again.

· Renamed the Windows folder Windows.tmp and renamed the Windows.old dir as Windows. Same set of results.

· Upgrade Install from installation USB - Not possible if booting from installation media

· Upgrade Install from installation USB running on the other version of windows - Doesn’t seem to allow installing windows on another drive

· Tried everything here:

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-windows-10-stuck-on-diagnosing-your-pc/

https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/windows-10-startup-repair-not-working.html

I fear I have made it worse with all this. I’m now getting:

Recovery

Your PC Couldn’t Start Properly

After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repaired.

Error code: 0xc0000001

Option to Try Again, F8 for start up setting both of which hang on blue windows logo and F9 to use a different operating system tries automatic repair again

I’ve run out of ideas now. Can anyone help please! To be clear, I want to keep the apps and settings already on this installation of windows, not a clean install.

Thanks in advance.

:)

paddyb66, Aug 13, 2020
  2. oily_17 Win User

Windows SP3 dual boot problem.

You could try booting from Vista DVD and click "Repair My Computer" then click on "Command Prompt" you will then have to enter the commands from step 3 below -

Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD

See if that works for you!!

oily_17, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 13, 2020
  4. spy2520 Win User

boot repairs?

i updated the bios on my rampage formula. And now for some reason my system automatically boots to Windows XP and i dont have the usual choices of OSes. I have been triple-booting XP, Vista, and Windows 7 for a while now, and i always got the boot screen where i could choose which one.

I tried putting the discs in and repairing the boot sector or whatever its called for both Vista and Windows 7 and it didnt work. It was kinda automated in that i would choose the repair option and it would automatically pop up that the boot record was missing or corrupt and asked me if i wanted to repair that. It did this for Windows 7 and Vista. Both the partitions are recognized as Windows partitions when using the repair feature. But it still just boots into XP. I can figure it out. I guess i could wipe it and reinstall all 3.

spy2520, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover - Similar Threads - repair working unable

2. windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover: Updated to windows 11. Prior to upgrade went through steps to make sure HD had space--followed prompts in upgrade and moved files to assure adequate space. Upgraded proceeded but after restart got error stating: "please insert the external storage media and press OK".Unable...
  3. windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover: Updated to windows 11. Prior to upgrade went through steps to make sure HD had space--followed prompts in upgrade and moved files to assure adequate space. Upgraded proceeded but after restart got error stating: "please insert the external storage media and press OK".Unable...
  4. Unable to repair windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to repair windows: I hope someone here can help. I am my wits end with trying to repair windows. I have tried the reset and it just stops at about 50%. I ran sfc, chidsk and dism to repair windows with no luck. I have download the image and tried to reinstall from USB that to fails at about...
  5. Windows 10 will not repair, reset or recover...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 will not repair, reset or recover...: Hi, Windows 10 will not repair, reset or recover... now when I try to open the laptop it starts "automatic repair" only to go to a black screen. not even the blue recovery screen. I try to enter the BIOS to no avail... I don't know what to do?!?! Please Help, Thanks...
  6. Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair: I'm having an issue with booting Windows 10. The installation previously worked, but now whenever I boot it up, I see the Windows logo, a black screen with a loading wheel, and then a completely black screen with no cursor. It never boots past the black screen. I've tried...
  7. infinite boot and unable to access windows repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    infinite boot and unable to access windows repair: In normal bootup i get the infinite loading screen with the HP logo and then black screen for 2 secs and loops. when i tried to hit F11 for recovery mode it says please wait for a minute and then a black screen with a cursor. When i clicked on ESC for start-up options it...
  8. Windows unable to boot ; stuck in infinite repair loop

Windows unable to boot ; stuck in infinite repair loop: Hello everyone, Last night I turned on my computer to find that it wouldn't boot. Confused, I turned it off and back on. It was then I discovered my PC was stuck in a loop. It was working completely fine before. When I turn on my computer, it takes me to one of two...
  9. Windows 10 unable to recover

Windows 10 unable to recover: My home PC is not starting up, getting following error "The Operating system couldnt be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors. File:\Windows\System32\drivers\intelpep.sys Error code :0xc00000e9 " I have tried to use auto recovery but it...
  10. Repair, recover, reset, bootrec not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Repair, recover, reset, bootrec not working: Hi everyone, I turned off my pc without properly shutting down and have not been able to boot into windows since. Using a windows 10 recovery usb , I have tried the following to no avail: 1. Reset PC (Drive needs to be unlocked) 2. Recover (There was a problem recovering...