Windows 10: Windows reports me in an incorrect location

Discus and support Windows reports me in an incorrect location in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This has happened before, and I'm not certain if Windows corrected itself or if I fixed it. I live in the dead center of the United States. Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by j. derekreeves, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Windows reports me in an incorrect location

This has happened before, and I'm not certain if Windows corrected itself or if I fixed it.

I live in the dead center of the United States.

Windows thinks I'm by the Oakland Zoo California.

I've tried changing my default location. It keeps thinking I'm in Oakland.

None of the google services on my computer have this issue.

The computer keeps changing from Central time to Pacific.

Is there a way to eliminate all previous locations and set my new location?

Please help.

-Derek

:)

j. derekreeves, Jan 15, 2021
  2. ElceeT Win User

Incorrect System Report

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic and the report indicated that no memory problems were detected. Status remains the same - 2GB of RAM instead of 6GB.

I do not have any obvious performance issues on this system. I have another Windows 10 installation on a secondary laptop and the system specs are reported accurately on that installation.

ElceeT, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Jon Platt Win User
    Windows Reports Incorrect Location

Hello,

Unfortunately it seems that windows is reporting the wrong location on my laptop. Worse yet, since the location it reports is across a time zone the wrong time is reported for my location. While I can manually set the time zone, I'd prefer not to.

If I search on Bing or the included Win10 Maps app, windows says this is my location
    Windows reports me in an incorrect location 024a0923-8307-4b1f-a1af-3c7e009f4be0?upload=true.png

However, using Google or any other website that gets my location from my IP address reports the correct location. Note that I'm using Edge in private mode for all of these screenshots. I have not granted location permission to any of the websites.

Windows reports me in an incorrect location f58d7bc5-17b2-4a0b-9734-01c154bbd4dd?upload=true.png

As noted, Google gives the correct postal code

Windows reports me in an incorrect location e2c71b0d-2c9c-46e0-947f-1882813a91ea?upload=true.png

This website also gives the correct city.

It seems that this is not a problem with my IP address since two websites get the correct location without even having the permission granted. Furthermore, I have another computer on this network (Surface Pro 3) which has never had problems getting the location
    correctly.

As noted this does not just affect my browser, it also uses the incorrect location in the Maps and Weather apps automatically assigns me to the wrong time zone.

Jon Platt, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Karen Her Win User

Windows reports me in an incorrect location

Location setting

Hi,

This issue could occur due to incorrect location settings or it would depend on your IP address. We suggest you to check the location settings of your PC, and check if it helps. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start button, and select Settings.
    • Go to Privacy, and choose Location.
    • Make sure that the Location service is On.

If issue persists, then it has something to do with your IP address. It’s because the location detected depends on the location set on your IP address.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows reports me in an incorrect location

1. Windows reports me in an incorrect location - Similar Threads - reports incorrect location

2. Windows location setting incorrect.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows location setting incorrect.: I am experiencing this issue with both my home computer running Windows 11 and my work laptop running windows 10. I first noticed it because the system time for both computers was changing automatically to central European time. If I disable location services the clocks can...
  3. Windows location setting incorrect.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows location setting incorrect.: I am experiencing this issue with both my home computer running Windows 11 and my work laptop running windows 10. I first noticed it because the system time for both computers was changing automatically to central European time. If I disable location services the clocks can...
  4. Windows location and timezone incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows location and timezone incorrect: We have an office of about 40 users and more than half of these are reporting their location and timezone as Brussels. We are located in Perth, Western Australia. So this is a very large shift in location. If we disable the WIFI adapters the location almost immediately...
  5. Windows location and timezone incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows location and timezone incorrect: We have an office of about 40 users and more than half of these are reporting their location and timezone as Brussels. We are located in Perth, Western Australia. So this is a very large shift in location. If we disable the WIFI adapters the location almost immediately...
  6. Device Location Is Incorrect

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device Location Is Incorrect: Hi everyone, I am having an issue in which the location service is showing the system in Oregon, despite the system being in Denver. I haven't been able to get it to recognize the correct location. The steps that have been taken so far are: - Attempted to get the system to...
  7. Device Location Is Incorrect

in Windows 10 Customization
    Device Location Is Incorrect: Hi everyone, I am having an issue in which the location service is showing the system in Oregon, despite the system being in Denver. I haven't been able to get it to recognize the correct location. The steps that have been taken so far are: - Attempted to get the system to...
  8. Incorrect Location

Incorrect Location: Built my computer a couple months ago, have not been able to change to the correct time zone for more than a day. I’ve changed the time zone to the correct one and it just defaults back to the incorrect one. Ive changed the CMOS battery, enabled Windows Time service, and...
  9. Windows Error Reporting Incorrect Time

Windows Error Reporting Incorrect Time: I never have a problem with my time on my Windows 10 Home, but I've noticed that my Windows Error Reports are exactly 4 hours ahead. How can we fix this? I've been searching all night, and I'm still stumped....
  10. Windows Reports Incorrect Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Reports Incorrect Location: Hello, Unfortunately it seems that windows is reporting the wrong location on my laptop. Worse yet, since the location it reports is across a time zone the wrong time is reported for my location. While I can manually set the time zone, I'd prefer not to. If I search on Bing...