Windows 10: Windows Reset and keeping my installed software

Discus and support Windows Reset and keeping my installed software in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, new to these forums but been reading for troubleshooting from a long time ago since I installed windows 10. A week ago, the Photos Background... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zerojay, Nov 24, 2015.

1. zerojay Win User

Windows Reset and keeping my installed software

Hello, new to these forums but been reading for troubleshooting from a long time ago since I installed windows 10. A week ago, the Photos Background Task Host was giving me some high CPU usage and decided to uninstall the Windows App to save me the trouble. Unfortunately, I think I uninstalled all of the WindowsApps because of a copy/paste mistake or something. My list of programs looks like this now:

Windows Reset and keeping my installed software [​IMG]

Seems like I uninstalled (or broke) most of Windows 10 built in apps. I also ran a few tests and encountered some corrupted files and now I just wanna reset Windows. But that means losing all my software, according to Windows Reset. Is there a way to save all my programs and games (almost 400GB), like a backup or something? I'm not very good at recovery things in windows.

Also, I have most of my software in another separated drive from Windows (Windows in C:\, games in D:\). Thanks for reading.

:)

zerojay, Nov 24, 2015

2. OEM Pre-installed Software after Reset PC and OEM Partition after Upgrade

Hi Lee,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

The answer would be Yes to your first question.

The OEM Partition ( usually labelled D ) on your old drive would have contained the files necessary to reinstall the operating system on the main C Partition without having to use your Recovery Discs ( which are a bootable copy of this ).

An OEM partition can be a "diagnostic" partition which holds a program or other information used to run diagnostics without booting into Windows. It is usually formatted with some weird file system. It can also be a "system partition" set up by Vista or
    7 which holds files needed for the boot process. That type of partition is usually just about 100 mb in size. You can delete the diagnostic partition but if you delete a system partition the drive may no longer boot.

For the third question you may refer to this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Nov 24, 2015
  3. OEM Pre-installed Software after Reset PC and OEM Partition after Upgrade

Hi,

I got some question about Windows 10.

The first question:

Inside the Disk Management, I saw Recovery Partition, OEM Partition
    and EFI System Partition.

I heard there was the OEM pre-installed softwares inside the
    OEM Partition.

Is that true??

The second question:

I know that Windows 10 will create its own Recovery Partition and the Windows 7/8.1 Recovery Partition will be inoperable.

How about OEM Partition??

The third question:

I know there's two ways to do a clean install.

Using Reset PC or recovery media that we downloaded/created.

If I use Reset PC option, the time when it reinstall Windows 10 will
    same as Windows 7/8.1 (reinstall OEM pre-installed software together) or
    not (just the system softwares/windows softwares)??

I searched Microsoft Community but all the topic is about Recovery Partition.

Sorry about my English XD

Thank all for helping.

Lee Jia Hui, Nov 24, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

5. reddice Win User
    Same thing happened to me. I bet you ran this command line from on of these quick fix links. I did it when Groove Player keep crashing on startup. Not only did it not fix Groove Player but it broke the Store and a dozen other apps. NEVER DO THAT FIX AGAIN!!!!! Yes I a shouting.

I also had to do a refresh after but I just told it not to keep files. It was too confusing. Was it going to keep program settings and some programs or was it not? Also would the apps still be corrupted and will I have other problems? Not much help so I did a full refresh.

reddice, Nov 25, 2015
  6. zerojay Win User
    Thanks for that In-Place upgrade link. Fixed my apps. Solvedddddddd

zerojay, Nov 26, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    I did it this morning also - it fixed mine (yet again) *Smile

8. reddice Win User

Darn I should have done that. At least if it happens again I know how to fix it without having to reinstall everything.

reddice, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Reset and keeping my installed software - Similar Threads - Reset keeping installed

2. I factory reset my computer, but software keeps installing automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I factory reset my computer, but software keeps installing automatically.: Yeah, so, I reset my computer recently. To fully explain what happened, I need to give some context. A few years ago I was messing around with my computer and installed new operating systems. I ultimately decided to keep with Windows 10. Fast forward to now and I just reset...
  3. I factory reset my computer, but software keeps installing automatically.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I factory reset my computer, but software keeps installing automatically.: Yeah, so, I reset my computer recently. To fully explain what happened, I need to give some context. A few years ago I was messing around with my computer and installed new operating systems. I ultimately decided to keep with Windows 10. Fast forward to now and I just reset...
  4. I factory reset my computer, but software keeps installing automatically.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing Software on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Software on Windows: Hi. I've installed some software on my Windows 7 machine. They are Oracle db XE 18c, ORDS and Oracle APEX. I need to move these installations to other machines. Installing them from scratch on each machine is a headache. I am thinking of moving the folders and the registry...
  6. Installing Software on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Software on Windows: Hi. I've installed some software on my Windows 7 machine. They are Oracle db XE 18c, ORDS and Oracle APEX. I need to move these installations to other machines. Installing them from scratch on each machine is a headache. I am thinking of moving the folders and the registry...
  7. My computer keeps resetting

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer keeps resetting: I don't know why but my computer keeps resetting after restart it. I've tried a bunch a stuff and it wont work. please help me if you can https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-keeps-resetting/7b44f5da-4c92-4ae1-8f3c-5c514da0ad79
  8. Software keeps getting randomly installed on computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Software keeps getting randomly installed on computer: I keep getting a piece of software installed on my system. Toshiba Print Experience. It is one of the store apps. It shouldn't be installing. I cannot see why it would. I do not have the Store installed and I installed the printer with the driver file and not the setup. I...
  9. Will a factory reset keep all factory software/apps?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will a factory reset keep all factory software/apps?: I'm planning to factory reset my laptop. The apps that came with Windows when I bought the laptop were all important. So, if I factory reset my laptop, will it keep the factory software and apps that came with my laptop or will it wipe all of them?...
  10. Not able to install my software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to install my software: Hello iam facing problem with installing my software. it is showing an error code 1603:error installing microsoft(r).net framework and in add and remove programs iam not finding .NET framework Iam using windows 10 version 1903...