Windows 10: Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...

Discus and support Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I performed a windows reset on my Surface Pro (2018 edition) as I was having some DNS/VPN issues (I didn't have much installed on the PC, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Prexsamle, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Prexsamle Win User

Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...

Hi

I performed a windows reset on my Surface Pro (2018 edition) as I was having some DNS/VPN issues (I didn't have much installed on the PC, so figured a reset would be the most straight forward fix).

Since I have performed the reset, my start menu, search bar and action center no longer work. It seems like certain core functions are also missing.I can't open settings, it simply does nothing if I try to launch, or anything with edge tells me explorer.exe package could not be registered. Prior to the reset the only issue I was having was related to opening my works launch page once connected to the VPN.

I have tried running the sfc/scannow - but it's not able to launch the program.

I have tried creating a second administrator account (which was not straight forward without access to Settings).

I have tried windows reset both with and without my installed applications.

:)

Prexsamle, Apr 13, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Start menu and action center is not working in Windows 10

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing with Start menu?

• Are you not able to open Start menu?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to follow the step below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the latest updates and install.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter
      MS-settings:
      and then press OK. This opens Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.
    Step 2: I suggest you to run
    Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Apr 13, 2019
  3. Unable to open Start Menu, Search and Action Center

If the Start button doesn't work, how am I to do this:

Question

Unable to open Start Menu, Search and Action Center

MI

MitchellXP asked on

Original Title: I cannot open the start menu 2nd time

Hello,

Yes, I know that this request for help seems familiar, and that is because it has been around a very long time. I had the same problem on this computer about six weeks ago. I thought I had fixed the problem with a Systems Restore, and a Reset operation.
    The problem now is the same as before except that some of t

• Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and... [​IMG]

Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and... [​IMG]
    Answer

GB

Geethu B replied on

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for the reply.

I suggest you to create a new User Account and check if issue occurs.

To create a new User Account follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Type ‘Add, delete and manage other user accounts’ in search box.
    • Now click on ‘Add someone else to this pc’.
    • And follow the instructions to create a new User Account.

EleanorCrampton, Apr 13, 2019
  4. taward Win User

Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...

Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

Device: Surface Pro 4

Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail.
    Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or swipe from the right and Start Menu will not respond to task bar click or keyboard button.

Troubleshooting:
    • I have done several SFC scans (the first few found stuff and repaired it and subsequent runs find nothing)
    • I've done the DISM image restore health hocus pocus to no avail.
    • I've executed "Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }" in an elevated powershell. This works, until it doesn't.
    EDIT: Nothing is working now for troubleshooting. Going to try a restart and see how long until it happens again.

​None of these are permanent solutions. Any ideas as what is causing this and how to stop it from happening?

taward, Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and... - Similar Threads - Reset Start Menu

2. Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working: Hello, after recent updates from Windows, I've found a lot of problems. I can't access the start menu, search menu, action center, task bar, as well as setting. When I try to use the keyboard shortcut to open the settings, it said something along the line like 'Class Not...
  3. Can't access the start menu, or action center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  4. Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset

Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset: Hello! After wiping my computer and reinstalling windows the start menu stopped working. every time I click on the start menu the cursor shows it loading for a second then nothing happens, same with the notification center. The search bar wont work either, but it shows no...
  5. Windows Start Menu, Search, Action Center and other Windows apps couldn't open.

Windows Start Menu, Search, Action Center and other Windows apps couldn't open.: Since earlier this year, my Windows 10 Start menu wouldn't have all of the Windows apps icon shown properly (darkened). I found out they were not able to update when I tried to update them. Then, I found out that it was because my Windows Store was not functional and caused...
  6. Start Menu/Search/Action Center not working. Unable to load DCOM Servr

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu/Search/Action Center not working. Unable to load DCOM Servr: Hello guys! I got an issue that I used a registry cleaner then the News store app stopped working so I used the get-appx Powershell command to try to fix it then start menu (ShellExperienceHost & Cortana) stopped working. What I tried so far In-place upgrade didn't work sfc...
  7. Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time: I get randomly but frequently on my Windows 10 on my Dell Optiplex 780 where the start menu stops working. clicking on it does nothing, the start menu will not open, so I attempt the action center, that will not open either. Neither will the sound (volume), or the Ethernet...
  8. Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail: Device: Surface Pro 4 OS: Fully Updated Windows 10 Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail. Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or...
  9. Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?: Powered on the desktop one day and Start Menu, Cortana, Edge, Windows Store and Action Center were all broken. For example, Edge seems to launch then just dies (no error message), and the usual left click on the menu button does nothing, (although right-click still gives me...
  10. Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center): I know many people are having this issue. I updated from Windows 7. I restarted my computer after everything running fine this Saturday morning, and now the Start Button, Cortana, Search, and Action Center are unresponsive when clicked. I've tried a lot of the fixes I've read...