Windows 10: Windows reset to original config every boot

Discus and support Windows reset to original config every boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was working with my computer the other day and it rebooted spontaneously. When it did I got a "Preparing Windows" or "Configuring Windows" message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hustlinghare, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Windows reset to original config every boot

I was working with my computer the other day and it rebooted spontaneously. When it did I got a "Preparing Windows" or "Configuring Windows" message after I logged in and when if finished I was back at the very first Windows set up. None of my start menu adjustments were there, none of my mouse, wallpaper, etc. settings were in place, and worst of all I lost all my settings for my Firefox and Thunderbird applications which meant all of my mail history, address book, etc. btw, I wasn't connected to the internet at the time, my connection was down.

I get a message saying it can't? find a profile so it is creating a temp one which will be deleted on shutdown.

I should point out that my files are still there, except for Appdata/Roaming and I do have a back up of my data so if I can stop this reset behavior I can recover data.

Now it reconfigures at every reboot. Even after reestablishing my internet connection. How do I stop this?????

:)

hustlinghare, Feb 29, 2016
  2. JoeGrimm Win User

Won't Boot after changing configuration

Went to Windows Admin, System Config, Boot, Advanced Options and changed processors to 2. Now I can not boot, tried repair, system restore to every restore point not luck.

JoeGrimm, Feb 29, 2016
  3. windows boot loader in Windows 10

Original Title: windows boot loader

what should windows 10 boot loader include ... trying to solve bad system config info ...

what is default ... I see fix for such problems for 7 & 8 ... but nothing on 10

HPelite User, Feb 29, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Windows reset to original config every boot

Run these command in a Elevated Command Prompt, see if they fix the problem.

If there are problems finding the source for repairs, see here:
    repair an online Windows image

Ztruker, Mar 1, 2016
  5. I ran the dism and sfc utilties sucessfully. However, it did not fix the problem. Windows still reset things on a reboot, e.g., mouse settings, my browser configuration, etc. Any other guesses or should I just reset the whole computer and reinstall everything as was suggested by a Microsoft Community responder?

hustlinghare, Mar 1, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Mar 1, 2016
  7. I finally reset Windows and reloaded my apps. What a pain.

hustlinghare, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows reset to original config every boot

1. Windows reset to original config every boot - Similar Threads - reset original config

2. Settings / Login Reset Every Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings / Login Reset Every Boot: Hi,I recently re-installed Windows 11 from scratch.Everytime I boot up the PC I am logged out of every app. P-Cloud and Battle-Net both log me out even when 'keep me logged in' is set to true.System sound settings also reset. I turned off systems sounds which re-activates...
  3. Settings / Login Reset Every Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings / Login Reset Every Boot: Hi,I recently re-installed Windows 11 from scratch.Everytime I boot up the PC I am logged out of every app. P-Cloud and Battle-Net both log me out even when 'keep me logged in' is set to true.System sound settings also reset. I turned off systems sounds which re-activates...
  4. Config error when booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Config error when booting: Hello! My computer is having a config error when booting and I’ve tried everything and watched every video, so would a complete wipe of the drive and everything fix the issue? And if so how can I do that if I can’t get to the windows because I keep getting the boot...
  5. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot: Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago, and a few days later I downgraded back to Win 10 because 11 turned out to be a pile of burning garbage, but ever since the...
  6. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot: Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago, and a few days later I downgraded back to Win 10 because 11 turned out to be a pile of burning garbage, but ever since the...
  7. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Boot config error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot config error: My father in law's lenovo laptop will not boot due to a boot config error. It was a windows 8 system that was upgraded several months ago to window 10. He logged off a new nights ago and let the system update. During my attempts to repair it I noticed Windows automatic...
  9. Boot config

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot config: I use to ave XP and 7 with a simple thing at boot that gives you ten seconds to press a button to enter into safemode, dose 10 have anything like it? MSconfig is not ringing any bells. Only reason I ask I hate how safemode is setup in 10 and when I want it tis not goign...
  10. Reset to original Fonts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset to original Fonts: I have Windows 10 I've added new fonts to my Fonts folder under Windows. How can I reset the fonts in this folder to just the originals that came with my computer? OS (D:) > Windows > Fonts > I have also added new fonts under OS (C:) >Users > Cindy > Fonts > Thanks for...