Windows 10: Windows resize when I'm not using the system

Discus and support Windows resize when I'm not using the system in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been running Windows 10 for about 2 years now, and I had it working pretty much the way I wanted. Then I got a new laptop with a fresh new Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by garyfritz, Dec 22, 2018.

1. garyfritz Win User

Windows resize when I'm not using the system

I've been running Windows 10 for about 2 years now, and I had it working pretty much the way I wanted. Then I got a new laptop with a fresh new Win10 install, and a few things are acting a bit weird.

When I'm not using the system -- triggered, I suspect, by the system turning off the monitors -- some applications sometimes resize. For many apps the window gets shorter and wider, but it's still a usable size. E.g. I like to size my email app (Thunderbird) at about 1000w x 1200h, and it will resize to about 1400x800. Some apps resize down to an unusable size. Word 365 seems to be very prone to this. It often resizes down to a tiny box that only has room for the window's minimize/maximize/kill buttons.

This is pretty annoying. I'm getting tired of fixing the window sizes every time I sit down to use my system. What causes it, and how can I fix it?

This is an HP Spectre x360 15-CH000 laptop with Vega graphics. It has a 4k display but I've got it set at 1920x1080. I also have an external monitor (HDMI) which is also 1920x1080.

:)

garyfritz, Dec 22, 2018
  2. John Vil Win User

moving and resizing

Hi Bob,

There may be several reasons why you are unable to resize or move applications after installing an update. To better assist you with your concern, we would like you to answer the questions below:

• Does it happen only on one application?
    • Which application are you having issues resizing or moving?

In the meantime, we suggest you to run the Windows 10 troubleshooter. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Windows Store apps troubleshooter
    Let us know how it goes.

John Vil, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Resize Windows 10 System Partition

Hi Adrain,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".
    • In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu
    • Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up space.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Windows resize when I'm not using the system

resizing photos in windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to use the Photo Gallery and check if you are able to resize the photos.

Please follow the below steps.

• Open Photo Gallery

• Navigate to the folder where the photos are.

• Select the photos

• Select the 'Edit' tab

• Select Resize

I hope the information helps. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

Windows resize when I'm not using the system

1. Windows resize when I'm not using the system - Similar Threads - resize I'm using

2. Can't resize window when open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't resize window when open: I can no longer resize my application windows the size I want them to be. I have a HP desktop. Please help as I also work from home and need to have more than 1 window visible. I have an extended display onto another monitor....
  3. "No Internet, secured" when I'm using a VPN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "No Internet, secured" when I'm using a VPN: I bought NordVPN 2 years ago and it works on my phone and tablet but I always have issues with it with my laptop. I've had 3 laptops and have lived in 3 different places since I bought it and the issue hasn't gone away. I was hoping NordLynx would solve it but it hasn't. I've...
  4. Microphone issue when i'm using headphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone issue when i'm using headphone: I'm using Havit h2590bt wireless headpgone. When I connected the headphone the microphone didn't work. I connected it correctly and volume levels are ok. What should i do now?...
  5. When will Windows be a useful operating system?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When will Windows be a useful operating system?: If you can't even delete a file without hanging up the system, can you really say it's an operating system? Nope. What a pile of garbage. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-windows-be-a-useful-operating-system/9ec0edb8-6db7-4c61-8c83-2a6fc2bf69cf
  6. Resizing popup window when using Save or Save As

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resizing popup window when using Save or Save As: I cannot change the size of the pop up window when I use Save or Save As. Once I could resize by dragging at the sides or bottom or even using the little indicator at the bottom RH corner of the pop up but now that indication is not even there. And nothing happens when I try...
  7. Resized Window Resizing By Itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resized Window Resizing By Itself: Hi, Every few days or so, desktop windows (e.g., windows explorer) that i have resized revert back to the default size by themselves. The window also changes position from where i had it, putting itself in the top left corner. Whem this problem occurs i also notice changes...
  8. Window resizing problem using dual monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window resizing problem using dual monitors: I have an HP Spectre laptop running Windows 10. I have a second monitor, an older 23 inch model (HP w2338h) and I run the monitors in extended mode. Originally they worked together smoothly and flawlessly, but then I had to do a Windows reset (for unrelated reasons) and a...
  9. Windows locks the screen while I'm using the system

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows locks the screen while I'm using the system: I have randomly been having a problem with Windows locking my screen, as if due to inactivity, while I'm in the middle of using the computer for various tasks. I might be browsing the web, editing photos, or typing in Word, when all of the sudden, the screen blanks out and...
  10. How to resize windows when the resize want work

in Windows 10 Support
    How to resize windows when the resize want work: Windows in browser and file explorer will not resize. The windows open maximized. I lost the ability to put two windows side by side. 69765