Windows 10: Windows restart when opening Windows Update menu

Discus and support Windows restart when opening Windows Update menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Every time I enter Settings -> Update & Security my computer restart. Any suggestion ? Thanks in advance, Federico... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Federico Bernardini, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Windows restart when opening Windows Update menu

Every time I enter Settings -> Update & Security my computer restart.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance, Federico

:)

Federico Bernardini, Jan 14, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 14, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 14, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows restart when opening Windows Update menu

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

Windows restart when opening Windows Update menu

1. Windows restart when opening Windows Update menu - Similar Threads - restart opening Update

2. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu: In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is...
  3. Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer crashes when opening the context menu: In windows 11's file explorer, whenever I open the context menu, it crashes. I've tried everything that I see in tutorials. Here's what I've tried; restarting windows explorer in task manager, the sfc scannow and DISM methods in command prompt, and clean booting and more. Is...
  4. failed to open windows update menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to open windows update menu: windows update menu says "something went wrong. Try to reopen settings later" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-open-windows-update-menu/0e1687bb-4c43-4713-af51-ca080c6c621b
  5. failed to open windows update menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to open windows update menu: windows update menu says "something went wrong. Try to reopen settings later" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-open-windows-update-menu/0e1687bb-4c43-4713-af51-ca080c6c621b
  6. failed to open windows update menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Send to Bluetooth disappears from the menu when restarting Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Send to Bluetooth disappears from the menu when restarting Windows: Greetings! I have a problem with the Send To Bluetooth Device option, every time I restart Windows this option disappears from the Send To context menu, making me have to manually recreate the shortcut in the Send To folder. It already got annoying. Has anyone had a similar...
  8. WINDOWS MENU NOT OPENING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WINDOWS MENU NOT OPENING: Windows menu and taskbar not opening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-menu-not-opening/048844ef-c45b-4222-aa09-504029ce62b7
  9. Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10: How to: Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10 How to Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10 The pinned apps (tiles) on the Start screen. This tutorial will show you how to keep the Start menu open when opening multiple apps from the Start...
  10. Open App when restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Open App when restarting: When I restart my computer I have a message that I have an app open. But I never saw this one until I installed W10. It says it is Faceaway Countdown dlg. I looked on the app list from the computer and it is not there. I searched google and did not see it. Is this a...