Windows 10: Windows restarting immediately after shutdown, with critical and error "The previous system...

Discus and support Windows restarting immediately after shutdown, with critical and error "The previous system... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the past while now my computer has been having issues shutting down. When I click "shut down" via the windows power menu, it shuts down like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kzhao14, Jun 22, 2020.

1. kzhao14 Win User

Windows restarting immediately after shutdown, with critical and error "The previous system...

For the past while now my computer has been having issues shutting down. When I click "shut down" via the windows power menu, it shuts down like normal. However, my PC doesn't actually shut down but instead reboots immediately. When I shut it down again it shuts down normally. Here is a log of events that happened tonight that resulted in the error:

~ 12:30 - I put my PC into sleep via windows power menu.

~ 1:17 - I wake it up, log in, and shut down via windows power menu.

~ 1:17 - PC reboots, I log in and look at event viewer

Error messages in Event Viewer:

• Error, event ID 6008, at 6/22/2020 1:17:20 - "The previous system shutdown at 12:34:43 AM on ‎6/‎22/‎2020 was unexpected."
    • Critical, event ID 41, at 6/22/2020 1:17:11 - "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Just a note, the Critical error shows up further up in Event Viewer higher, despite being at an earlier time.

How can I resolve this issue? I'm worried that it could damage my PC.

:)

kzhao14, Jun 22, 2020

2. Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Try below command:

Code:
    If above command wont work try below suggestion.

1. Click the “K” menu in the bottom left corner.
    2. Click “Logout”.
    3. Knoppix will begin shutting down.
    4. The Knoppix CD will be ejected.
    5. Remove the CD and close the tray.
    6. Press Enter on the keyboard.
    7. Knoppix will attempt to turn off the computer automatically. If it doesn't turn off automatically, it is now safe to turn off the computer yourself using the power button.

FreeBooter, Jun 22, 2020
  3. little cat, Jun 22, 2020
  4. dannyh5 Win User

Windows restarting immediately after shutdown, with critical and error "The previous system...

The previous system shutdown was unexpected windows 10

ok i went in Event Viewer and found 4 Critical so i went and looked at Reliability Monitor as well and seen that all 4 Critical line up with when my pc rebooted on me. all the reboots seem to happen about 20 min's after it say's The Previous system shutdown
    so i hope this helps to fix this problem.

Event Viewer

--------------

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category KeyWords OpCode

------- ----------------- ----------- ----------- ---------------- ------------- ----------

Critical 9/15/2016 6:47:28 pm Kernel-Power 41 (63) (70368744177664),(2) info

Critical 9/14/2016 7:21:16 pm Kernel-Power 41 (63) (70368744177664),(2) info

Critical 9/7/2016 12:36:31 pm Kernel-Power 41 (63) (70368744177664),(2) info

Critical 8/29/2016 1:15:39 pm Kernel-Power 41 (63) (70368744177664),(2) info

Reliability Monitor

---------------------

The previous system shutdown at 6:35:44 PM on ‎9/‎15/‎2016 was unexpected. = Rebooted at 6:48 pm.

The previous system shutdown at 7:01:05 PM on ‎9/‎14/‎2016 was unexpected. = Rebooted at 7:21 pm.

The previous system shutdown at 12:11:16 PM on ‎9/‎7/‎2016 was unexpected. = Rebooted at 12:36 pm.

The previous system shutdown at 12:50:57 PM on ‎8/‎29/‎2016 was unexpected. = Rebooted at 1:15 pm.

dannyh5, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows restarting immediately after shutdown, with critical and error "The previous system... - Similar Threads - restarting immediately shutdown

2. The previous system shutdown was unexpected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The previous system shutdown was unexpected: Reliability history reports "The previous system shutdown at 9:55:28 PM on ‎11/‎15/‎2023 was unexpected"there are multiple instances the same as this. No other critical errors affecting reliability but this. Tried not shutting down for 2 weeks, no more critical errors. Then...
  3. The previous system shutdown was unexpected.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The previous system shutdown was unexpected.: Seems to happen whenever I'm watching videos, but it's not reproduceable so it might not have anything to do with it. It may happen once or twice a week at random.Machine is alredy old from 2014, daily work and gaming use, and originally I tought it was the graphics card, as...
  4. Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected: I have random black screen restarts while using my PC.This time, it was while browsing the internet using Microsoft Edge browser.Please see the relevant information here:OneDrive with EventViewer logs, msinfo32 and DxDiag--------------------------------------NOTE:I previously...
  5. Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected

Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected: I have random black screen restarts while using my PC.This time, it was while browsing the internet using Microsoft Edge browser.Please see the relevant information here:OneDrive with EventViewer logs, msinfo32 and DxDiag--------------------------------------NOTE:I previously...
  6. Auto Restart after afk due to "The previous system shutdown was unexpected" error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto Restart after afk due to "The previous system shutdown was unexpected" error: Can anyone help figure why my Windows keep restarting itself after AFK?Have been bearing this issue for a while now. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-restart-after-afk-due-to-the-previous-system/a11a4536-9472-400d-9178-bac94ddc470f
  7. Auto Restart after afk due to "The previous system shutdown was unexpected" error

Auto Restart after afk due to "The previous system shutdown was unexpected" error: Can anyone help figure why my Windows keep restarting itself after AFK?Have been bearing this issue for a while now. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-restart-after-afk-due-to-the-previous-system/a11a4536-9472-400d-9178-bac94ddc470f
  8. Auto Restart after afk due to "The previous system shutdown was unexpected" error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Windows 10 restarts immediately after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 restarts immediately after shutdown: Windows 10 restarts immediately after shutdown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-restarts-immediately-after-shutdown/c73b6d59-c862-4fad-9afa-c0c213268b4a"
  10. Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown then Immediately Restarts: Win 10 Pro x64 HP Spectre x360 15t, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, NVidia Geforce MX150 2GB GDDR5 I was having some issues with HP printer drivers but that did not appear to cause this shutdown issue. I plugged an LG BE14NU40 Blu-Ray Writer via USB and output via HDMI...