Windows 10: Windows restarts for updates with no warning

Discus and support Windows restarts for updates with no warning in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older laptop on which I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10. Unlike other computers I have, it gives no warning when it wants to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SBYH, Apr 13, 2021.

1. SBYH Win User

Windows restarts for updates with no warning

I have an older laptop on which I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10. Unlike other computers I have, it gives no warning when it wants to do a Windows 10 update. It just briefly displays a screen saying it needs to restart for an update, then does so. No buttons for me to postpone or otherwise weigh in on the matter. It often does this in the middle of remote meetings, while working on files, and other bad times. Very disruptive as you can imagine.

Do I have something set wrong somewhere in Windows?

:)

2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows restarts for updates with no warning :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 13, 2021
  3. little cat, Apr 13, 2021
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

1. Windows restarts for updates with no warning - Similar Threads - restarts updates warning

2. Window restart without warning

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Window restart without warning: When I run full virus scan, on a particular time suddenly window restart.... or When I play games it restarts but earlier same game run smoothly. I tried run virus scan in safe mode but safe mode too restart.... Plzz help Lenovo thinkcenter M38I5 4th gen2+2 gb ram128 gb ssd...
  3. Window restart without warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window restart without warning: When I run full virus scan, on a particular time suddenly window restart.... or When I play games it restarts but earlier same game run smoothly. I tried run virus scan in safe mode but safe mode too restart.... Plzz help Lenovo thinkcenter M38I5 4th gen2+2 gb ram128 gb ssd...
  4. Window restart without warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows is restarting for no reason and without warning.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows is restarting for no reason and without warning.: Hello, I just want to ask real quick about this. But my laptop restarts without warning occasionally. It typically does this sometime after 10 PM. I looked up the causes of this problem:Computer overheatingMalwareOut of powerFailed hardwareBut it's none of these. This problem...
  6. Windows Randomly Restarts Without Warning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Randomly Restarts Without Warning: About two weeks back I got a new laptop and almost everyday I seem to be facing restart issues. While working the screen goes black and the laptop restarts. This happens once almost everyday. There is some thermal throttling when it happens but the laptop doesn't seem to be...
  7. My PC abruptly restarts to update.. With NO warnings..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC abruptly restarts to update.. With NO warnings..: Windows 10 obviously.. I'm fine with updates, but I want full control on when to begin the updating process.. Currently, the PC just dies as if it just encountered a BSOD, but NOPE, it's just installing an update and nonchalantly disregarding all my work while doing so,...
  8. Restarting without warning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restarting without warning: Sometimes when just watching a video on youtube, my Pc will restart. No blue screen, no errors. Where should I look to find out whats causing it? I'm pretty sure its not overheating because the temps average out at 40 celcius for gpu and cpu, well below their max. submitted...
  9. windows restart without warning installing non-existent updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows restart without warning installing non-existent updates: Hello , windows restart without warning installing non-existent updates , not taking under consideration active hours or permission to do so . It's really frustrating doing some work and all of a sudden it restarts without warning to apply an update . It happens every...
  10. updates restart goes to SSD screen warning

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    updates restart goes to SSD screen warning: The past 2 months updates means that on restarting, the SSD manufacturer screen comes up with warning of imminent failure. SSD is 2 years old with W10 Pro 64 bit put on as a completely new computer PC. If I press the on/off button everything reverts to normal windows on...