Windows 10: Windows restarts instead of shutting down

Discus and support Windows restarts instead of shutting down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop with Windows 10. In the beginning, when I wanted to shut down Windows, that worked as expected.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Luc Js, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Luc Js Win User

Windows restarts instead of shutting down

Hi all,

I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop with Windows 10.

In the beginning, when I wanted to shut down Windows, that worked as expected. But at a certain point in time maybe after a Windows update, Windows restarts every time when I select shutdown.

The only way to make it shut down now, is to first choose restart and wait until it restarts. Then, before logging in, selecting shutdown.

I've found several threads from people having the same problem with Windows 10, but the proposed solutions haven't solved my problem so far.

Does anyone have a suggestion to fix this? Obviously, I've installed the latest Windows updates.

:)

Luc Js, Feb 1, 2020
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Windows restarts instead of shutting down :confused:*Mad Windows restarts instead of shutting down :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Feb 1, 2020
  3. shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shut down goes into restart mode instead of shutting down

shutdown issue, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Horscht Win User

Windows won't shut down, instead restarts itself (not whole computer).

When I try to shutdown windows it instead restarts, and by that I don't mean that the computer restarts as if I hit "restart the computer" but instead of shutting down after the blue "logging off... etc" screen it just really quickly goes back to the desktop and starts up everything again (autostart, services) as If I had just started windows. It never goes to the PC Startup part where it lists the disks and RAM.
    Restart works fine, like it should.
    The problem started happening after I formatted and wiped one of my old drives which had a duplicate of my system drive on it (migrated the OS from that old HDD to my now new SSD).

Tried windows repair and sfc /scannow, says "everything is fine, no problems found".
    I also don't get any relevant messages in the event log.

Any idea what could be wrong, what else I could check, how to fix this?

Horscht, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows restarts instead of shutting down - Similar Threads - restarts instead shutting

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down: Hi. My old laptop had some problem where it was permanently attempting to do Windows Updates every boot but failing, with code 0x80070643, so I decided to disable Windows Updates. Right after that, something very weird happened that I've never seen. I was shutting down my old...
  6. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down: Hi. My old laptop had some problem where it was permanently attempting to do Windows Updates every boot but failing, with code 0x80070643, so I decided to disable Windows Updates. Right after that, something very weird happened that I've never seen. I was shutting down my old...
  7. Computer restarts instead of shutting down

Computer restarts instead of shutting down: I don't know if this is a computer glitch or a Microsoft one. Lately, maybe since the last update, when I shut off the computer, it restarts instead. Not consistently, but maybe about half the time. I get the screen that says it's shutting down with the little circling dots...
  8. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  9. Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down

Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down: Hello everyone, As the title says, windows 10 restarts instead of shut down when i am pressing the "shut down" button. I had the same problem with windows 8.1, i searched all the internet to find a solution but i couldn't fix my problem. I read on internet some of...
  10. Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down: I upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago for the most part it works fine, but one day it stopped being able to shut down properly. When I tell it to shut down it does actually shut down but only for a second before it starts restarting. This problem has been going on for 2-3...