Windows 10: Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked

Discus and support Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For some reason windows restarts my Dell L attitude laptop when I lock my screen (Window Icon + L) and go to lunch or to a meeting or whatever. There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RyanWalda1, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked

For some reason windows restarts my Dell L attitude laptop when I lock my screen (Window Icon + L) and go to lunch or to a meeting or whatever. There are no pending updates in fact today I restarted in the morning for an update or something, and then this afternoon when I left for lunch I came back and it had restarted again. I'm not sure how long it takes me being away, because I have come back from a meeting or a quick lunch and the computer did not restart but if I'm gone long enough it restarts. And I have to open up all my programs again and recover word or excel docs.

I've search the forums and found random settings that have done nothing to stop the restarting

1. Search Windows Update.
    2. Click on Advanced Options.
    3. Under Choose how updates are installed, select the one that will just download the updates but will not install it automatically, in that way you will be the one to decide when to install the downloaded updates.

1. Go to Power Options.
    2. Click Change plan settings.
    3. Set both Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep to Never.
    4. You can also customize your Change advanced power settings to fit your needs.

Windows 10 Pro

Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134

:)

RyanWalda1, Oct 1, 2018
  2. little cat, Oct 1, 2018
  3. DaveToms Win User
    Broken security by bypassing lock screen on restart

Question:

Why does Windows bypass the lock screen when it restarts after a Windows update? I consider this a security design flaw. If a maintenance crew came by my home while I'm at work to do some home renovation upgrades but they left the
    front door unlocked when they finished, when I got home I'd wonder what on Earth they were thinking. I hope I've just missed a setting somewhere to disable this.

Three things I accept:

1. Locking my computer to protect my privacy.

2. Windows restarting after an update.

3. Windows automatically updating, which is frustrating but acceptable.

But I don't accept Windows bypassing the lock screen after an update.

Precondition:

Windows 10 is set up to require a password at sign in, both on startup and on the lock screen.

Steps to reproduce:

Step 1: Lock the computer.

Step 2: Leave the room.

Step 3: Wait for Windows to perform an automatic system update.

Step 4: Windows restarts automatically.

Problem 1: Windows bypasses the lock screen, instead signing in and showing the desktop.

Problem 2: Come home and book a doctor's appointment to deal with the stress of seeing my computer unlocked.

It's my first post in the community so suggestions about posting etiquette are welcome.

DaveToms, Oct 1, 2018
  4. Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked

No Lock screen in Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen option as Windows Spotlight and check if it helps.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select Windows Spotlight from the list.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with Lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked

1. Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked - Similar Threads - Restarts Screen Locked

2. Windows 11 locked screen, unable to shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 11 locked screen, unable to shutdown/restart: I’ve been playing games as the regular and all of the sudden, it freezes. I’ve tried to do ctrl + shift + esc, but it’s unresponsive and I can’t do anything about it. Do I have to get an experienced person to fix it or is it ruined?...
  3. Windows 11 locked screen, unable to shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 locked screen, unable to shutdown/restart: I’ve been playing games as the regular and all of the sudden, it freezes. I’ve tried to do ctrl + shift + esc, but it’s unresponsive and I can’t do anything about it. Do I have to get an experienced person to fix it or is it ruined?...
  4. Lock screen shows default lock screen image after restarting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen shows default lock screen image after restarting.: Hello everyone. I have no idea when it happened, but I noticed that my lock screen after restarting is on default always. When I restart my laptop, I see my lock screen wallpaper, but it immediately changes back to default wallpaper with blue swirls smoothly. How can I fix...
  5. Lock screen shows default lock screen image after restarting.

Lock screen shows default lock screen image after restarting.: Hello everyone. I have no idea when it happened, but I noticed that my lock screen after restarting is on default always. When I restart my laptop, I see my lock screen wallpaper, but it immediately changes back to default wallpaper with blue swirls smoothly. How can I fix...
  6. windows lock screen stuck and requires restart

windows lock screen stuck and requires restart: Hello,I've noticed a very specific scenario after locking the computer that requires a restart as the login screen won't allow to input the password.when we use the home computer with windows 10, we usually lock it with ctrl+alt+del and enter to lock it. Unfortunately my wife...
  7. windows lock screen stuck and requires restart

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows lock screen stuck and requires restart: Hello,I've noticed a very specific scenario after locking the computer that requires a restart as the login screen won't allow to input the password.when we use the home computer with windows 10, we usually lock it with ctrl+alt+del and enter to lock it. Unfortunately my wife...
  8. windows lock screen stuck and requires restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked ONGONG STILL A PROBLEM PRETENDING ITS NOT AN...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked ONGONG STILL A PROBLEM PRETENDING ITS NOT AN...: Almost every time I return to my PC and unlock it, it seems as though it has just powered up. begins running any start up applications etc and all previously open applications are closed. Then when I fire up chrome it show a pop up stating crome did not shutdown correctly,...
  10. Numbers lock off when restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Numbers lock off when restarting: After upgrading my Windows 8.1 system to to Windows10 , when I restart or turn on my computer the numbers lock key is not turned on. This may sound trivial, but if I forget about it, my passwords won't work because many of the passwords contain numbers. Is there a way for me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer restarts when unlocking

2. windows10 lock screen restarted

3. windows 10 reboots when screen locks

4. windows shell stopped responding and was restarted when locking,
  5. dell laptop restarts when locked,
  6. windows restarts when locked,
  7. win 10 system restarts when computer is locked,
  8. computer restarts if on lock screen,
  9. Windows Restarts when Screen is Locked