Windows 10: Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD)

Discus and support Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there I am having trouble here. My dad's computer's disk drive has been on the fritz so he brought it over, and I made a system drive image file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CrayzCrinkle, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD)

Hi there I am having trouble here.

My dad's computer's disk drive has been on the fritz so he brought it over, and I made a system drive image file backup using the "windows 7" tool in the backup section (he has windows 10). The problem is so severe that most times his original PC has the "please insert boot media" DOS error on startup.

The backup image was made fine no problems, to a large external USB hard disk drive.

However, that HDD will no longer boot at all now, gives the DOS error 100%.

So I am trying to restore the image to his new hard disk drive with the tool on my computer (also windows 10), however it does not "find" any backups and will only allow me to look at "network locations" it does not give me the option of searching the drives on my computer to manually find the backup.

How do I solve this? His new (blank) drive is installed in my pc and the USB drive is connected. It is NOT a backup which was created on this pc.

:)

CrayzCrinkle, Jan 5, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD) [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jan 5, 2019
  3. Neuges Win User
    BkUps, 2 ext USB drives 1-for Acronis, 2nd for Sys Image Backup. Fails

We had a HDD crash at our church. I had a disk image of the PC. The restore failed, I was able to extract some important files by attaching the backup as VHD. I have Acronis 2016 on my PC’s at home, but not at church. I have rebuilt the Win 10 PC and installed all software. Since this disaster I want to install 2 external HDD’s. One for Acronis 2017, the 2nd Win 10 disk Image & file history. I installed Acronis 2017, backed up the disk. I then plugged in the 2nd USB external, File History was generated OK, but when I tried to create a System Image Backup got this error. “This feature is not available in a portable workstation environment” I’m using 120 GB SATA’s in an USB 3.0 enclosure until my 1 TB drives arrive. Any suggestions?

Neuges, Jan 5, 2019
  4. JMX
    jmx Win User

Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD)

Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

I use a 500 gb external HDD to store Windows backup files and System Images. I do a backup each morning. The 500gb external HDD stays connected to the computer and holds approximately 10 System Images in addition to the file backups

A few days ago, I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to make a clone of my 500 gb backup HDD. I wanted a backup of the backup to keep in a drawer.

Unfortunately, if I try to use the MR clone HDD to restore a System Image using Windows, Windows only lists the last System Image instead of the approximately 10 System Images that I know are on the cloned HDD. (Windows appears to be treating the cloned HDD like a network backup - listing only the last System Image).

I have not used MR to make backups. If I start using MR for backups, will I be able to clone the MR backup HDD and then store it in a drawer. If the answer is yes, will I be able to select System Images off of the clone when I try to use MR to restore a System Image off of the cloned HDD?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Thema:

Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD)

1. Windows restore backup image file (from another computer + is on a usb device // TO 2nd HDD) - Similar Threads - restore backup image

2. Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup on 2nd INTERNAL HDD spinner: I have 2 internal physical HDDs equally sized. Internal physical HDD #1 drive c:\ is for the Windows OS and existing programs etc. Drive #2, is the 2nd internal physical HDD drive E:\ is for Windows backups/restore points. I was hoping to also backup my personal data/files on...
  3. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  4. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  5. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  7. Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB

Restore Windows 10 from a Windows Image Backup via USB: Good Afternoon Everyone! I literally spent four days, trying to find a solution to restoring a Windows 10 System Image in an attempt to resurrect my Dell E5491 from a crash of the hard drive. After finding many posts on all types of sites I went old school and determined...
  8. Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD

Restore windows 7 image from external USB-HDD: Hello, I try to restore a windows 7 image from an external HDD. The image was made just before migrating to W10. However, because the update deinstalled all programms I have to go back to W7 temporary to recover my Key for Office. allthough MS probably want me to buy a...
  9. Restoring a Windows 10 Backup to Another Computer

Restoring a Windows 10 Backup to Another Computer: My hard drive failed and took out the motherboard when it failed. I had run an Windows 10 backup to a backup drive prior to the failure. Can I restore the backup to another computer running Windows 10?...
  10. Restore from Windows Image Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore from Windows Image Backup: I Created an image backup using Windows 10. I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd. Options are most recent backup [but it only shows D:\, the factory backup partition]. No browse capability. Other option does not let me browse to the folder the system created,...