Windows 10: Windows restore failed and PC won't boot

Discus and support Windows restore failed and PC won't boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have just come back from a two week holiday and booted up my PC at which point it downloaded a new Windows update, so naturally I rebooted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BlackCondorXXI, May 28, 2019.

1. Windows restore failed and PC won't boot

Hi,

I have just come back from a two week holiday and booted up my PC at which point it downloaded a new Windows update, so naturally I rebooted to complete the update installation. Upon rebooting and completed installation, a lot of my programs stopped working, wouldn't open and would not let me uninstall any of them as they just crashed during the process or told me that something was already being installed and to wait until it finished (there was nothing installing).

Now I would just like to take a moment to address that I am consistently having issues with Windows 10 in regards to updates. Ever single time I receive a Windows update, something stops working or goes wrong afterwards and I have to fix it. Its getting very frustrating, but this time is definitely the worst.

So, after trying to resolve the issues there was no success, so I instead resorted to a system restore point that I had created two weeks ago before leaving for my vacation. After waiting for a few hours seeing a screen saying the restore was complete and to please wait, it finally produced an error in which it said it had failed. Now, my Windows will not boot up and goes to automatic repair.

My next option was to try my system image file on my other drive, however, after trying all of the advanced repair options, none work. System restore now tells me that apparently I do not have any system restore points on my PC and system image tells me there are no image files. Reverting to previous version fails and even trying to reset PC whilst keeping my files says that it could not complete the action and fails. I tried using command prompt to check my disks and they are showing still as listed and connected, however my OS drive C:\ says it is nearly full, when in reality, it only had 130GB storage used out of 500GB.

I have tried inserting my Windows 10 disk and repairing Windows, and this fails also. I also tried using command prompt to copy my C:\ drive to an external hard drive, but it tells me that 0 files were found. At this point it looks like my C:\ drive has been wiped completely and my only option is to reinstall Windows 10 completely, however I do not want to lose the files on my C:\ drive if they are still there, seen as command prompt tells me that 480GB space is used and I also am concerned regarding the files on my D:\ as the system image file is not there, so it concerns me that it too may now be lost.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated in regards to any options I have to recover my data as I am desperate to not lose it and do not want to attempt reimaging until I have exhausted all other options - especially as this will be the third time since I built this PC in December that Windows updates have caused me to have to reinstall Windows. And furthermore, any advice on why I keep having these issues each time I receive Windows updates would be great to - after all, the updates are supposed to be to protect our system, yet all it seems to do each time is cause more issues to the point I consider turning them off completely in future.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but my PC specifications are as follows:

- X299 Gaming Pro Carbon (MS-7A95) motherboard

- Intel Core i7-9800X CPU

- 2x 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz RAM

- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

- 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

- 2TB Seagate external HDD

- Corsair H150i All in One CPU liquid cooler

- 2x Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080 graphics cards in SLI

- Corsair HX1000i PSU

- Windows 10 Professional 64bit OS

Kind regards,

Mathew Norman

:)

BlackCondorXXI, May 28, 2019
  2. KBD
    KBD Win User

PC Won't Boot After Install and Restart

I was able to clear CMOS by taking out the battery and then putting it in after 5 min. That helped and i was able to boot, i got some kind of a checksum error and was given a choice to restore to last known good configuration or to default, i chose option number 1 and was able to boot into Windows, however after i restarted the PC i was back to square 1 where system wouldn't boot as before.

What do i do now? Clear CMOS again and attempt to boot into Windows do a system restore and uninstall that program that may have been the cause of this problem? Any suggestions?

3. Sher Amo Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update Installed Now PC Fails to Boot

Hi Antony,

One of the possible reasons why your PC fails to boot into normal mode are broken components on the boot configuration data of your system. To isolate your concern regarding your Windows 10 Creators Update, we suggest that you perform the following
    steps to trigger Safe Mode through the
    Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
    option. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Improper shutdown process
      • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
      • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the
        Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click
      Restart.
    • Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the
      F4
      key to start your computer in Safe Mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting into safe mode.
    This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps
    below:

• Right-click the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, May 28, 2019
  4. tops Win User

Windows restore failed and PC won't boot

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

Thema:

Windows restore failed and PC won't boot

1. Windows restore failed and PC won't boot - Similar Threads - restore failed won't

2. PC won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't boot: I was using my computer normal all day and I put it to sleep and when I turned it back on it was a black screen with my cursor so I turned off my computer and enter windows recovery environment and tryed to factory reset and reinstall windows but that didn't work because...
  3. System Restore Failing and Windows not booting up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Failing and Windows not booting up: Hi,I tried updating my display driver AMD Radeon and it crashed at 97%. So I force shut it down and my laptop Dell enter the login screen. The screen is just blank after the Dell screen. I tried System Restore from the recovery options and none of the recovery points work....
  4. PC won't boot.

PC won't boot.: I'm very new to using a PC and recently my PC had a problem. It was in a restarting loop. I followed most methods and ended up in a worse condition. "The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors. File:...
  5. Windows restore from image won't boot

Windows restore from image won't boot: I have tried to restore my PC running Windows 10H2 from an image made through windows backup. After the restore the pc won't boot. It just does an automatic repair an fails. It fails to boot into safe mode and I can the only get to the recovery console. I have tried...
  6. Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned/Restored SSD won't boot: Hi, I wanted to migrate entirely from my current boot drive (Samsung 950 EVO m.2 256 GB) to a newly purchased drive that I want to use a my boot drive (Samsung 980 PRO m.2 1TB) I first tried cloning with Macrium Reflect, not realizing the destination drive needed to be...
  7. PC Won't boot

PC Won't boot: My acer laptop wont boot and I cant access the advance boot options. This started yesterday after an update failed and it kept restarting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-wont-boot/085ba3e2-b0da-4f01-b773-e8784bccc5b5
  8. PC Won't Boot into Windows

PC Won't Boot into Windows: Hello, I was playing a game the other day and my screen froze. I restarted my PC and after trying to boot into Windows, I was met with the error UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME. I have tried to create installation media on two separate USB's and managed to get into Advanced Boot...
  9. PC won't boot into windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won't boot into windows: After last night's critical update I can no longer boot into windows. After I get to the login page I get black screen with the cursor and a flashing start bar with a few things on it. I can enter advanced start up and enter safe mode. I have tried using the repair...
  10. Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restoring Windows PC with a failed SSD boot drive: How do I rescue a PC with a failed SSD boot drive. Windows 10 Pro was the System and PC comes up in BIOS. Have the original Disk. Supplier gone out of business just before it happened....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows reset failed wont boot