Windows 10: Windows resumes from sleep randomly, difficult to troubleshoot

Discus and support Windows resumes from sleep randomly, difficult to troubleshoot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I only want to resume my computer via my mouse or ethernet/wake-on-LAN. And they work fine. But, my computer resumes from sleep totally randomly also.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimhoyle, Oct 20, 2018.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Windows resumes from sleep randomly, difficult to troubleshoot

I only want to resume my computer via my mouse or ethernet/wake-on-LAN. And they work fine. But, my computer resumes from sleep totally randomly also. For example a few times I've been watching TV, several meters away from my computer in sleep, nothing touching the computer in any way, nobody even moving in the room. And suddenly the computer resumes from sleep (in which it has been for many hours). This is not because of Task Scheduler waking it up, either.

powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
    • Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
    • Logitech HID-compliant G3/MX518 Optical Mouse (002)

powercfg -lastwake
    • Wake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&A0 Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) Description: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller

So this USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller is controlling my MX518 mouse. Device Manager and Devices by connection reveal that. The same Host Controller also currently controls a printer, a USB eLicenser, a keyboard (and then there are some mentions about HUBs and HID devices). Event Viewer / Windows Logs / System doesn't list anything suspicious, I think.

If I wake up from resume with wake-on-LAN, the powercfg -lastwake says so (Ethernet). If I wake with my mouse, it says again this USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. So it doesn't specify the mouse. In Device Manager, the eXtensible is [ ] Allow this device to wake the computer.

One thing that is remotely possible is static electricity. I have some of that building up in this room. Sometimes my subwoofer lets out a popping noise, but that's mostly if I'm moving in the room. Probably the static electricity could in theory also discharge even without anyone moving.

Is there a way to only wake up on left mouse click, for example? Not on right mouse click etc. That might help in this case. Where does the arming of the wakeup interactions take place? Before sleep by the mouse driver or something else?

(As a kind of last resort, I could try to disable mouse wakeup completely and enable keyboard wakeup. To see if that helps. But I prefer the mouse for the wakeup.)

:)

jimhoyle, Oct 20, 2018
  2. BrooksyX Win User

Win7 Pro Laptop crashes when resumes from sleep

Ok almost positive it related to the wifi card/driver. If I disable it in the device manager my laptop sleeps and resumes just fine.

So I guess first step would to be try to find a different driver and if that doesnt work I guess I can replace it. Used mini pci-e wifi cards are pretty cheap.

BrooksyX, Oct 20, 2018
  3. Monitor goes to sleep randomly with windows 10 upgrade

Hi Jaro,

Since you've tried the troubleshooting above, let's proceed to the next troubleshooting steps to further identify the issue. Kindly follow these steps:

Let us know the result.

Raymond Ave, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Windows resumes from sleep randomly, difficult to troubleshoot

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

Windows resumes from sleep randomly, difficult to troubleshoot

1. Windows resumes from sleep randomly, difficult to troubleshoot - Similar Threads - resumes sleep randomly

2. Windows 10 not resuming from Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 not resuming from Sleep Mode: I have an Lenovo PC running Windows 10 successfully for many years. Recently going back 2 or 3 Windows updates ago, it stopped resuming from sleep mode by using my Space Bar. Now I have to restart Windows with the power button. I read many posted questions with similar...
  3. Random apps open on resuming from sleep/hibernate

Random apps open on resuming from sleep/hibernate: What's going on here and how do I stop it? It's like its possessed or something. Only immediately after resuming from sleep. Since one of the recent updates in the past month I'm not certain which exactly, a random app opens immediately upon resuming from sleep. The apps...
  4. Windows 10 no ipv6 on resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 no ipv6 on resume from sleep: I have had this problem for the longest time and it is still happening with Windows 10 ver 2004. On my Surface Pro 7 and Surface Go 2 both now on Windows 10-2004, they will fail to obtain ipv6 addresses on SLAAC networks on resume from sleep for more than 1 minute. If I...
  5. Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver

Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver: Hi. I hope you can help me with regards to this constant issue I have been having. My laptop sometimes doesn't shut down fully or when it enters sleep mode or screensaver mode screen turns off, then the fans ramp up to constant maximum and no matter what I do, the screen...
  6. No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen: Windows 10 home with the anniversary update and all updates since on a Toshiba laptop. When I boot up from a complete shutdown, I get a wallpaper (1) on the screen and after I press enter the login screen appears with its wallpaper image. But, when I resume by lifting the...
  7. Delayed resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Delayed resume from sleep: I installed an SSD in my laptop. Occasionally, when I resume from sleep mode, the computer becomes unresponsive. It does this for about 30 seconds. I can't remember if it was doing this before I installed the new drive. Today it's been doing it almost every time I open the...
  8. Resume from sleep issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Resume from sleep issue: Hi everyone. I had some trouble today with my computer. I seem to have fixed it, but thought I would share my experience to see if I can help others who may be having similar issues. System Specifications ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD FX-6300 4 GB 1333 mhz GSkill RAM...
  9. Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep: Ok, I have a problem that (AFAIK) no one else on any of the forums (and forum sites) I have visited seem to having. As per the title, I am sure you can see that it is related to my laptop going to sleep. The Problem: My Dell XPS 15 (9550) seems to go to sleep properly...
  10. W10 slow to resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 slow to resume from sleep: I did a fresh install on a SSD not to long ago. The computer is running very smoothly for the most part. However, sometimes when I open the lid to my laptop, it is temporarily unresponsive for a minute or so when resuming from sleep mode. It's pretty annoying. I think it has...