Windows 10: Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep

Discus and support Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; What it says on the box... And yes, I've UNCHECKED 'Turn on fast startup' in Control Panel. I've checked other similar issues that I could find, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JoshuaDerkowski, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep

What it says on the box... And yes, I've UNCHECKED 'Turn on fast startup' in Control Panel. I've checked other similar issues that I could find, but none had a viable solution.

:)

JoshuaDerkowski, Feb 23, 2019

2. Recovery Screen Appears When Computer Attempts to Sleep

I have the same problem, but it's intermittent. (More accurately: I haven't been able to determine the pattern. Likely affected by screen blanking time or system sleep time, as described by OP.)

• Dell XPS 8700
    • i7-4790 processor
    • 24 GB RAM
    • 256 GB mSATA solid state boot drive
    • 64-bit: shipped with Windows 8.1 Pro, upgraded to Windows 10

If you have any suggestions, please share.

Thanks.

damonbrinson, Feb 23, 2019
  3. Holydoc Win User
    Recovery Screen Appears When Computer Attempts to Sleep

Problem has returned.
    1) I boot up into Windows 10.
    2) When the computer tries to sleep, I get the Recovery screen.
    3) When Recovery Screen appears, I select "Reboot Windows"
    4) Computer boots into Windows 10
    Rinse and Repeat....

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Holydoc, Feb 23, 2019
  4. zplugger Win User

Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Feb 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep

1. Windows Returns to Log-In Screen When Attempting to Shut Down or Sleep - Similar Threads - Returns Log Screen

2. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again: My system got shut down a few minutes ago. It wasn't probably shut down completely. When I started again my browser and apps were still open. Maybe it went to sleep. I thought it would be because of low battery.But a few minutes later I saw an error alert on Windows itself...
  3. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again: My system got shut down a few minutes ago. It wasn't probably shut down completely. When I started again my browser and apps were still open. Maybe it went to sleep. I thought it would be because of low battery.But a few minutes later I saw an error alert on Windows itself...
  4. System got shut down/sleep automatically and attempted to shut down again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSoD Windows 10 when shutting down, sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    BSoD Windows 10 when shutting down, sleep: Ladies and gentleman . Recently, my device has a blue screen error, when shutting down, sleeping, besides still using it stably. Below is the .dmp FILE required. Please help, thanks Linkto .dmp file...
  6. PC shuts down when set to Sleep.

PC shuts down when set to Sleep.: This PC shuts down even though it is set to Sleep and must be signed in again each time Windows is re-opened. In Power and Sleep settings both Display are Sleep set at Never. who UNPLUGS their PC? In Additional Power Settings HP recommended Power Balance is set. Beneath...
  7. Shutting Down when supposed to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutting Down when supposed to sleep: For the past 3 weeks, I close my computer and it shuts down when I want it to sleep. I am not telling it to do this, it does this automatically. I thought a recent update would fix it, but the problem has not been resolved. What steps should I take?...
  8. Sleep and Shut Down

Sleep and Shut Down: Using Windows 10. After last update, when I put my computer to sleep and then close the lid, it shuts itself down. Power settings are all as before the update.....I selected the option to have the computer go to sleep when the lid is closed. Anyone else having this...
  9. System shuts down when in sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System shuts down when in sleep mode: I really am not sure where to even look. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and had no problems for a while until I began using sleep mode. About every night or two when in sleep mode, my system shuts down. I'm not here when it does so I don't see a blue screen and appear to have no...
  10. Shut down problem returns.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down problem returns.: Shut down problem returns. No matter how you select shutdown, it logs out then back in. Here are the methods that work for me It works is if you choose restart & then hit the power button at the right time. It works if you open an administrative command prompt and type...