Windows 10: Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot

Discus and support Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Recently, my computer experienced a blue screen, and now whenever it is turned off or reset it seems to revert to the state it was in immediately... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LuminateWorld, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot

Recently, my computer experienced a blue screen, and now whenever it is turned off or reset it seems to revert to the state it was in immediately before the blue screen. Any files that I download or move to any part of the computer are gone on reboot. Any files that I delete permanently or otherwise are restored on reboot. My internet browsers Brave and Microsoft Edge state that they were not closed properly regardless of their state on shutdown and restoring the pages only brings up the pages I had up on the initial blue screen. Additionally, my computer is now detecting a SMART Event in

:)

LuminateWorld, Jul 28, 2022
  2. Geethu B Win User

How to revert back to previous version of Windows?

Hi Randy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you want to know if you can revert back to previous version of Windows as Windows 10 is slower. I will surely help you with this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to conflict between third party applications.

I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs. If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows

Step 2:

If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode, perform a clean boot and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Warning:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup
    mode.

However if you still wish to revert back to older Operating System, for a month after you upgrade to
    Windows 10 you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from
    Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

Refer the section Go back to your previous version of Windows from the following article for additional information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jul 28, 2022
  3. Gary38914 Win User
    Revert back to previous versions

I installed Windows 10 1 week ago and need to revert to windows 8.1. I have tried both of your suggestion to revert and a) do not have a 'revert to windows 8.1' listing on my settings-restore page and b) when I restart the PC holding the shift key and
    select 'revert to previous build' I get a WDF Violation error and the system restarts Windows 10. There is a windows.old folder. I'm stuck, what can I do to restore Windows 8.1?

Gary38914, Jul 28, 2022
  4. Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot

reverting to previous build/version

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

• When the computer did froze? Is it when you tried to roll back?
    • Did you receive any error message?
    I suggest you to remove all the external devices plugged in to the computer and check if it helps to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, please restart the computer and check whether it rolled back or not. If it loads Windows 10,
    I suggest you to download the latest ISO of Windows 10 and perform automatic repair.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Steps to perform repair:

a) Insert the installation DVD or USB
    and boot Windows 8 from it.

b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

If you really would like to rollback, I suggest you to refer the below article on How to go back to the previous operating system (Windows 7/8.1) from Windows 10.

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised July 23rd, 2015

Redirecting

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy

to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jul 28, 2022
Thema:

Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot

1. Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot - Similar Threads - Reverts Previous State

2. Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build: Since I had a problem with a update huge preformance loss, I tried using the option to revert back to a previous build.It started the process, but soon after, it was stuck in a boot loop, that looks like the following:- Dell Logo shows up no dots - Spinning dots with Dell...
  3. Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build: Since I had a problem with a update huge preformance loss, I tried using the option to revert back to a previous build.It started the process, but soon after, it was stuck in a boot loop, that looks like the following:- Dell Logo shows up no dots - Spinning dots with Dell...
  4. Windows stuck in boot loop after trying to revert to previous build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot: Recently, my computer experienced a blue screen, and now whenever it is turned off or reset it seems to revert to the state it was in immediately before the blue screen. Any files that I download or move to any part of the computer are gone on reboot. Any files that I delete...
  6. Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Reverts to Previous State on Boot: Recently, my computer experienced a blue screen, and now whenever it is turned off or reset it seems to revert to the state it was in immediately before the blue screen. Any files that I download or move to any part of the computer are gone on reboot. Any files that I delete...
  7. Alternate method of reverting to a previous save or recovery state?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alternate method of reverting to a previous save or recovery state?: Does anyone know if there's a way to recover my system to a previous backup or save state (can't think of the damn word -__-), other than the method of going through the "updates and security" route? My system just randomly started stuttering and lagging when gaming, and also...
  8. reverting to a previous version of windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reverting to a previous version of windows 10.: Hi, I used to have version 1709 win 10 pro and bought a new system, This new system is running on version 1803 which does not run any of the apps I use … how do I get back to this version of windows? Any help would be appreciated. Im not the most tech savy sorry...
  9. Failed revert to previous version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed revert to previous version: My son has tried to revert to previous win 10 version through settings and his PC now won't even get to the login screen. How does he resolve this, surely this should just work!!!...
  10. Windows 10 reverts back to a previous state on EVERY reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 reverts back to a previous state on EVERY reboot: New to the forum so hello all. A few days ago my Pc started to act slow and slugging so i restarted it a couple of times and on the 3rd reboot it started a disc check. Once it finished it worked flawlessly BUT it had reverted to a previously unknown restore point. Ok i...