Windows 10: Windows says I already have a My Pictures folder, but I can't find it

Discus and support Windows says I already have a My Pictures folder, but I can't find it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to rename My Pics to My Pictures but windows says "This destination already contains a folder named 'My Pictures'." I can merge them but I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChangeOnWin10, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Windows says I already have a My Pictures folder, but I can't find it

I tried to rename My Pics to My Pictures but windows says "This destination already contains a folder named 'My Pictures'." I can merge them but I want to see whats in 'My Pictures' first. Problem is I can't find it.

:)

ChangeOnWin10, Oct 28, 2016

2. I have Minecraft but it still says i need to but it

I Bought Minecraft along time ago then it said it gave me a code for minecraft windows 10 edition I used it and it still says I need to buy it can anyone help me out to fix it if possible?

DaltonMizell, Oct 28, 2016
  3. I have Minecraft but it still says i need to but it

Hi Dalton,

If you own the game and you're getting a message to purchase it, it may be because you're not signed in to the Store app using the Microsoft account you've used in redeeming the game code. To verify if you're using the correct account, we suggest that you
    check your purchase history online. Here are the steps:

• Sign in to the
      Payment & billing
      page with your Microsoft account.
    • Under transactions, check if your can see Minecraft.

If you can't find the game transaction, we suggest that you get in touch with our Xbox support team. They can help determine the account that owns the game license through the game code you've redeemed. Click this

link
    to chat with them.

Otherwise, kindly run the
    Windows apps troubleshooter
    . This can help in resolving issues like downloading games from the Store.

Keep us posted with the results. We'd be glad to further assist you.

Catherine Cus., Oct 28, 2016
  4. Windows says I already have a My Pictures folder, but I can't find it

I didn't see how to edit my question, so this is an edit. I found the "My Pictures" folder. It's actually a hidden shortcut. So the actual folder is out of sight. When I click on it I'm denied access. which lead me to look at my permissions. Who knew you'd need a PhD to figure out how to set permissions. Are there any tutorials explaining permissions and sharing? I don't know what a quick reply is so if I crash the server, I'm sorry.

ChangeOnWin10, Oct 29, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    There is no default 'My Pictures' folder like in prev Windows. Did you create one on your own ? What are the exact locations of 'My Pics' and 'My Pictures'; on the Desktop, in Documents or ??? (Hint, use Search to find). The folders under This PC are default folders and can be edited via this tutorial but I recommend you place all picture sub folders in 'Pictures', for easy finding -
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html

mrgeek, Oct 29, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    "My Pictures" is a hidden link to the "Pictures" folder. It's there for compatibility with older programs that assumed the name of the folder.

Mystere, Oct 29, 2016
  7. I created the folder in my documents. This PC > Documents The My Pics folder is in the same folder. All I see is a shortcut and that only after I showed hidden files. I think this has something to do with sharing and permissions. I can merge the my pics and my pictures folders but that makes me nervous. If I can look at whats in My Pictures I will be able to move or copy them and delete the folder and rename My Pics.

8. essenbe Win User

Windows says I already have a My Pictures folder, but I can't find it

Please try going to C:\users\yourusername\pictures. If you will right click on that folder > select properties > click on the location tab, it should tell you where your pictures are located. The pictures folder are where your pictures should be located and stored, not 'My Pictures.'

Did you upgrade your system to Windows 10? If so, what OS were you using before?

essenbe, Oct 29, 2016
  9. It's hard to understand why MicroBlank saw the need to change Program Manager in Win 95/98 in the first. That had it right. My whole problem is I spend half my day trying to find things. XP is bad enough. They keep changing things that ain't broke and adding bloat to try and convince us that this isn't just new tar on an old road. Any way I just wanted to clean up the left side of Explore by getting rid of the redundant shortcuts and putting the names I'm familiar with back. Can I get rid of Quick access, a completely useless pile of unk. Well, maybe this is the question. Is it safe to merge the files My Pictures and My Pics. Windows said it will merge the files when I tried renaming My Pics.

10. AddRAM Win User
    You don`t have to get rid of it, but you can keep things from piling up there. Just uncheck these.

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    @ChangeOnWin10, Not quite, it's actually a Junction point (along with the ones for 'My Music' and 'My Videos'). You can see that this is so from a command prompt.

Windows says I already have a My Pictures folder, but I can't find it [​IMG]

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Their purpose is to make the (renamed) Windows 10 folders (Pictures, Music and Videos) accessible to old software hard-coded to use the old Win7-style directory structure.

File Explorer has no explicit functions to manage Junctions (or Hard Links) so it's not surprising you're having difficulties, though you can make your own Junctions or Hard Links from the command prompt.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226...dows-or-linux/

As you can see from the screenshot above, 'My Pictures' is just another name for the 'Pictures' folder, that's where you'd end up merging the contents of 'My Pics'.

PS: You could just use a different but similar name, try an underscore in place of the space: My_Pictures

12. AddRAM Win User
    You shouldn`t be renaming windows folders, but why didn`t you just create a new folder in the Pictures folder and put your pictures in that, why did you put in the Documents folder ?

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  13. essenbe Win User

My Pictures is a naming convention from Windows 7. In Windows 10, your pictures folder is just named 'pictures', not 'My Pictures'.

essenbe, Oct 29, 2016
  14. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  15. Mystere Win User
    Well, are you saying we should all just be using Windows 95? You don't think the OS has improved any? Improvement requires change, and sometimes things change for the better, sometimes not.

The reason they renamed the folders is because they received a lot of complaints from people that "My" this and "My" that was childish, and unprofessional.

What things are called really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Do you really care if it's a trunk or a boot? A hood or a bonnet? A Windscreen or Windshield? It does the same thing.

Mystere, Oct 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows says I already have a My Pictures folder, but I can't find it - Similar Threads - says already Pictures

2. can't buy minecraft It says I already have it, but I don't have it anymore

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    can't buy minecraft It says I already have it, but I don't have it anymore: I want to buy Minecraft again because I no longer have it but I can't use the gift cardi get this in dutchHet lijkt erop dat u dit al hebtGa op je thuisapparaat naar Mijn games en apps of Mijn bibliotheek om het te downloaden. Als je aan het gamen bent vanuit de cloud, kun je...
  3. can't buy minecraft It says I already have it, but I don't have it anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't buy minecraft It says I already have it, but I don't have it anymore: I want to buy Minecraft again because I no longer have it but I can't use the gift cardi get this in dutchHet lijkt erop dat u dit al hebtGa op je thuisapparaat naar Mijn games en apps of Mijn bibliotheek om het te downloaden. Als je aan het gamen bent vanuit de cloud, kun je...
  4. can't buy minecraft It says I already have it, but I don't have it anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My pc says I have 40 gigabytes that I can't find anywhere.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My pc says I have 40 gigabytes that I can't find anywhere.: I was checking my storage to see if I had enough space to download something, and noticed one of my categories said I had 40 gigs, so I checked I had already done the math previously because of another issue and I had nowhere near 40 gigs, so I looked up some solutions and...
  6. My backgrounds disappeared and I can't find the folder that stored my background pictures

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My backgrounds disappeared and I can't find the folder that stored my background pictures: the folder i had was named desktopbackground, and contained my pictures i was using for my desktop background, but i now cant find the folder containing the images. is there a way to extract the exact path windows has stored to where i have set it to look for that folder?...
  7. I can't find an app i already own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't find an app i already own: Good day, i downloaded My Coursera app from Microsoft app store and the website says that i already own the app, yet i can't find it neither in my app list nor in my installed apps in the control panel. i have a Dell Venu 7 Pro with Windows 10. Thank you....
  8. I can not find my pictures or folder with my pictures in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can not find my pictures or folder with my pictures in file explorer.: Hello, Can someone please tell me how to find and view and then send pictures to my email? Thanks, A.W. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-find-my-pictures-or-folder-with-my/ee1f65f6-c116-47fc-885e-79c05e37fd6b
  9. I can't find my Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't find my Downloads folder: I can't find my Downloads folder through the File Manager or through the cmd prompt but I can access it by typing the path in the address bar C:\Users\name\Downloads...
  10. I cannot find my picture folders.

in Windows 10 Support
    I cannot find my picture folders.: I can find a Picture folder, and some of my pictures are in the folder, but not all of them. If I go to Start, File Explorer, On This PC, and then search JPG or IMG, then I can see some of my missing pictures, but nowhere close to the number of pictures that are on my...