Windows 10: Windows says icons are on the Desktop that aren't there!

Discus and support Windows says icons are on the Desktop that aren't there! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I installed a game, deleted it, removed all remnants of it (including on the Desktop), and yet, after reinstalling it—when making a shortcut of it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Starkman, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Starkman Win User

Windows says icons are on the Desktop that aren't there!

So, I installed a game, deleted it, removed all remnants of it (including on the Desktop), and yet, after reinstalling it—when making a shortcut of it and putting it on the Desktop—Windows says that the shortcut for it is already there, which, it isn't. I mean, what's up with that?

I tried running a .bat program from How-To Geek (or something like that) to clean up and rebuild the icon cache, but that didn't help. Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,

:)

Starkman, Apr 25, 2016
  2. CraigLong Win User

What photo apps are there that are on the Microsoft Store to share the photos with the public?

You can create an album in the Photos app then you can share it in OneDrive.

CraigLong, Apr 25, 2016
  3. What photo apps are there that are on the Microsoft Store to share the photos with the public?

I want to beable to upload 1TB or less amount of photos.

sheriselitz, Apr 25, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Wonder if this will work....................

Start button > All apps > scroll to that program in question > right click at it > click More > click Open file location > right click at the program > click Send to > click Desktop (create shortcut ).
    Will the shortcut appear on your desktop ?

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  5. Starkman Win User
    Oh, the shortcut will show up when I create a shortcut, but it renames itself to a (2). It's even doing this with a folder I created off my C drive and made a shortcut to the Desktop; it thinks there's already shortcuts for this there. Weird!

Starkman, Apr 25, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Yes. I have the same issue.
    My Tenforums shortcut also said ..........................Windows 10 Forums (2), although that is the only one I have.
    I just let it slide.

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  7. Starkman Win User
    Yeah, I suppose I will have to do the same. You'd think rebuilding the cache would have fixed it. Oh well.

Starkman, Apr 25, 2016
  8. AndreyT Win User

So, did you try to look at your Desktop folder (i.e. ...\Users\<YourUsername>\Desktop) with display of hidden files enabled? Maybe these files are indeed there already, just hidden?

You can easily reproduce exactly the same behavior by hiding an existing shortcut and then trying to create another one with the same name.

AndreyT, Apr 25, 2016
  9. Starkman Win User
    Well, I went to \Users\... and I don't see any extra shortcuts, but how do you hide a shortcut itself? That's a new on for me!

Starkman, Apr 25, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Just deleting program/game is not going to remove everything, specially Registry entries (which may be case here). Uninstalling it with a good uninstaller program like Revo for instance, cleans up all remnants and should prevent things like that from happening.

CountMike, Apr 25, 2016
  11. AndreyT Win User
    Well, what program did you use for that? If you used File Explorer, then as I said above you have to enable display of hidden files in File Explorer in order to see hidden shortcuts. Did you enable it?

Each shortcut is just a file with .lnk extension (and Windows meticulously hides that extension). Other than that, there's nothing special about that file. You can set its "hidden" attribute as with any other file.

Choose any shortcut on your desktop, open its Properties, go to General tab and select Hidden checkbox. This will hide your shortcut from Desktop. If you attempt to create another shortcut with the same name, Windows will automatically add "(2)" to its name, since the original hidden shortcut now "holds" the original name.

AndreyT, Apr 26, 2016
  12. Starkman Win User
    Yeah, sure did. Nothing extra showed up.

How about unhiding them! How do you do that if you can't see them, particularly when File Explorer won't show them? (I have File Explorer set to show all files as well as show hidden files both off the View menu and on off the ribbon.)

Starkman, Apr 26, 2016
  13. AndreyT Win User

If your File Explorer is configured to show hidden files, then you should be able to see all hidden shortcuts on your Desktop. If you don't see them, then the reason for the behavior you observe must be something else (not hidden shortcuts).

AndreyT, Apr 26, 2016
  14. AndreTen Win User
    Don't forget system files. Shortcut shouldn't be marked as system, but who knows. Enable also "show system files" and try again.

AndreTen, Apr 26, 2016
  15. Splurgle Win User
    I had this problem for forever and i was looking at the desktop properties and i unchecked both attributes box's then applied then i could see all my missing shortcuts *Biggrin

Splurgle, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows says icons are on the Desktop that aren't there! - Similar Threads - says icons are

2. Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in: For some reason my headphones stopped working and now the playback tab says that they aren't plugged in. Is this an issue with my laptop, my headphones, or is it something I can fix?...
  3. Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in: For some reason my headphones stopped working and now the playback tab says that they aren't plugged in. Is this an issue with my laptop, my headphones, or is it something I can fix?...
  4. program icons aren't free on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    program icons aren't free on the desktop: All program icons are placed in a bar on top of desktop; how to change it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-icons-arent-free-on-the-desktop/c0a1cc50-a337-429a-b9c4-193485a35dda
  5. program icons aren't free on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    program icons aren't free on the desktop: All program icons are placed in a bar on top of desktop; how to change it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-icons-arent-free-on-the-desktop/c0a1cc50-a337-429a-b9c4-193485a35dda
  6. My Desktop Icons aren't displaying correctly none are missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Desktop Icons aren't displaying correctly none are missing: Yesterday when I booted up my computer my icons were displaying the default icons instead of custom ones like steam games displaying a internet explorer icon instead of the game or programs showing the default .exe instead of the logo. When I restarted my computer it didn't...
  7. Icons aren't showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons aren't showing up: Im on Windows 10 home edition and my icons for all my games and applications on my desktop are showing up as the internet explore logo with a white page in the bacground how do i get the games and application logos/images back for them...
  8. Icons in Folders aren't displayed consistently

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons in Folders aren't displayed consistently: Hello. I would like that every time I open a folder the various icons are always in the same consistent order and arrangement. Multiple times I have tried the following sequence yet every now and then I’ll open a folder and the icons will be scattered in a random order. Can...
  9. Desktop Icons Aren't Showing, But Names Are

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Aren't Showing, But Names Are: So I booted up my pc today, and I noticed that none of my desktop icons were showing, and the icons on my taskbar just show a generic icon, except for mail. I've tried troubleshoot, updating, and even rebuilding the icon cache, but noting seems to work. I can still use my...
  10. Wait, did you say are, or aren't?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wait, did you say are, or aren't?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/soulstudios [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ijn9ex/wait_did_you_say_are_or_arent/