Windows 10: Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

Discus and support Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, I recently upgraded my monitor to 4K and noticed that Windows Scaling shows the value of 150% as Recommended. Leaving it at 100% is super crisp,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by orlando1974, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

Hi, I recently upgraded my monitor to 4K and noticed that Windows Scaling shows the value of 150% as Recommended. Leaving it at 100% is super crisp, clean, but small - the upgraded resolution is obvious. But I find that 150% almost looks like a 1080p resolution... and am curious if setting it to that defeats the purpose of having a 4K monitor. Meaning, am I dropping the monitor's resolution by using any scaling above 100%? And why would Windows suggest 150% if doing so downgrades the quality of the HiDPI? Just doesn't look super high res to me anymore at 150%... is it just me?

:)

orlando1974, Jul 15, 2021

2. Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

Hi, I recently upgraded my monitor to 4K and noticed that Windows Scaling shows the value of 150% as Recommended. Leaving it at 100% is super crisp, clean, but small - the upgraded resolution is obvious.

But I find that 150% almost looks like a 1080p resolution... and am curious if setting it to that defeats the purpose of having a 4K monitor. Meaning, am I dropping the monitor's resolution by using any scaling above 100%? And why would Windows suggest 150% if doing so downgrades the quality of the HiDPI? Just doesn't look super high res to me anymore at 150%... is it just me?

orlando1974, Jul 15, 2021
  3. larc919 Win User
    Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

I have my scaling set at 175% and the 4k desktop wallpaper looks very sharp as do 4k videos. Most 4k TVs are significantly more than 50-75% larger than my 27" 4k monitor, so 3840x2160 graphics are spread out much more on them.

larc919, Jul 15, 2021
  4. Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

Scaling Issue With Extended Monitors

Recently got a new 4K monitor. It's running at 4k with 150% (Recommended) Scaling. I want THIS monitor to be my main monitor. It is centered to my setup and is the MAIN monitor I will be using, etc, etc. My old 1080p monitor has a recommended scaling of
    100%. This is what I had been using for years and is most comfortable for my eyes.

My issue is:

Apps are blurry on the 1080p monitor; i.e. Apple Music is blurry.

The 4k monitor is just fine.

I can fix the blurriness by setting the scaling higher for the app itself in (app)>properties>calibration>DPI settings

I can fix the blurriness by setting my old 1080p monitor as my main monitor, and having windows fix the blurriness by turning that option on. This keeps the normal scaling and looks great. Only issue is that I want my Main monitor to be registered as the
    Main monitor in windows settings so that all of my information and app work is prioritized there.

I can also fix the issue by setting both monitors to the same scaling, but that defeats the purpose of scaling. One is a huge 4k monitor and one is a 1080p I do not want massive text on one monitor and tiny text on the other. Rather ridiculous.

Why does it seem that the only fix I am looking for has to be done by first setting my old monitor as the main monitor? If I could keep my main monitor as my main monitor with the benefits of the blurriness and scaling being fixed then my question would
    be answered.

Thanks for any help.

LeanBank12, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

1. Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor? - Similar Threads - Scaling Does Defeat

2. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  3. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution: Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such...
  4. Windows 10 4K scaling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 4K scaling: Hai, I’m planning to buy a new monitor. Preferably one with a high resolution whereas a high DPI/PPI. Online I read that windows 10 had issues with scaling for 4K monitors. Everything looks tiny and to fix that people use the scaling feature. But then some programs look...
  5. Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?: When you run Windows and you take a screenshot using Snip & Sketch, do you have any weird scaling issues? I have a Windows laptop with 1080p native resolution that is connected to a 4K monitor. When I take screenshots using Snip & Sketch, a weird scaling effect happens where...
  6. How can I scale the Remote Desktop window on a 4k monitor?

How can I scale the Remote Desktop window on a 4k monitor?: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  7. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  8. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  9. Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor: I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment. (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read...
  10. Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen: Hello everyone! I have a question that I have not been able to find a proper answer to, and I'm starting to think it's impossible to do. I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 with a 4K screen. I normally don't care for 4K but I thought it would be useful to futureproof my...