Windows 10: Windows Screen Recording is no longer functional outside of gaming applications. Why?

Discus and support Windows Screen Recording is no longer functional outside of gaming applications. Why? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I was able to use Windows screen recorder in non-gaming applications to screen-record demonstrations I'm a teacher as recently as June 2020. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JMC_795, Sep 22, 2020.

1. JMC_795 Win User

Windows Screen Recording is no longer functional outside of gaming applications. Why?

I was able to use Windows screen recorder in non-gaming applications to screen-record demonstrations I'm a teacher as recently as June 2020.

This use is now disabled and I get an error notification stating that I have to open a gaming application in order to get the recording feature to be available.

Why has this change been made? Is it permanent? If yes, is there a work-around?

:)

JMC_795, Sep 22, 2020

2. screen recorder

Hi,

To resolve your concern about screen recorder, follow the steps below:

• Click on the Windows logo found at the lower left hand corner of your desktop.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • On the left hand side, click on Storage.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Scroll down, and click on Temporary files.
    • Click on Delete temporary files.
    • Restart your computer, and then try screen recorder again.

Regarding the Windows shortcut for your screen recorder, follow the steps below:

• Open your Xbox application.
    • On the left hand side, click on the Settings icon.
    • Click on the Game DVR tab.
    • Make sure Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR is
      On.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Sep 22, 2020
  3. Record entire screen using Game Bar

Hello everyone, my challenge is how to make the game (screen) recorder to capture whatever/everything/anything that is being done on my screen. So far I have observed that the Win+G function only captures what is being done only on
    the active window when the function was launched.

For instance, when screenshotting, there are two basic ways namely:

• Screenshot of active window only = Alt + PrtScr
    • Screenshot of entire screen = PrtScr
    I'm looking for the screen video recording equivalent of these two commands (if such exist). Does anyone know a command that will allow a user to record video of the entire screen, or do I have to rely on a third-party application to
    do that?

***Modified title from: Issue with Screen Recording using "Win + G" (video game recorder) function***

Ahmad Dan-Hamidu, Sep 22, 2020
  4. renee1219 Win User

Windows Screen Recording is no longer functional outside of gaming applications. Why?

Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10

Crazzzzzyyyy quick question but can this be used for things other then apps and games. Such as a way to record a program or a browser for helping make tutorials. The way I understand "Snipping Tool" can take screen shots as well as custom cutouts of the screen your on. And the "Steps Recorder" records the steps taken and can also apply notes to the steps. But can the Game Bar record things like a tutorial steps. Like by recording your screen as a video rather then just steps. Like I said above Crazy Question.

renee1219, Sep 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Screen Recording is no longer functional outside of gaming applications. Why? - Similar Threads - Screen Recording longer

2. Screen time recording no longer registering

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Screen time recording no longer registering: My child has been using their computer and it used to show on my app how much they have used, however now this isn't working and continuously says "no screen time used" when this isn't the case. Why has the time amount stopped registering....
  3. Screen time recording no longer registering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen time recording no longer registering: My child has been using their computer and it used to show on my app how much they have used, however now this isn't working and continuously says "no screen time used" when this isn't the case. Why has the time amount stopped registering....
  4. Screen time recording no longer registering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why doesn't screen recording record the selected window?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't screen recording record the selected window?: When I press Windows + Alt + R, what window does it record? I thought I was recording 14 minutes of a game, but it was just recording the settings window that I had open, even though that wasn't the window I selected. I started recording long after I selected my game's...
  6. Why doesn't screen recording record the selected window?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't screen recording record the selected window?: When I press Windows + Alt + R, what window does it record? I thought I was recording 14 minutes of a game, but it was just recording the settings window that I had open, even though that wasn't the window I selected. I started recording long after I selected my game's...
  7. why Hebrew is not applicable as a talking/recording language?

in Windows 10 Customization
    why Hebrew is not applicable as a talking/recording language?: Hello My windows setting inlude Hebrew at all the language settings exept for the talking - there hebrew is'nt applicable and I also can't download or change it. Please let me know how to change it. Thank you...
  8. Game Bar No Longer Recording in Full Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Bar No Longer Recording in Full Screen: I will try to make this make sense the best I can - When I go to record and then go back and watch it, the recording is not full screen anymore. A setting must have gotten tweaked by accident or something but I don't know which one it could be because my display is still set...
  9. Issue with Screen Recording using "Win + G" (video game recorder) function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Screen Recording using "Win + G" (video game recorder) function: Hello everyone, my challenge is how to make the game (screen) recorder to capture whatever/everything/anything that is being done on my screen. So far I have observed that the Win+G function only captures what is being done only on the active window when the function was...
  10. Screen Tearing Outside of Games

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen Tearing Outside of Games: Lately my computer has been experience screen tearing when outside of games. Usually I experience this when I'm scrolling up and down on websites such as reddit and this only goes on for less than 10 minutes at a time after which it will just not occur anymore. Not sure what...