Windows 10: Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content

Discus and support Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows operating system includes screen capturing tools, which users may use to take screenshots and do light image editing. While not as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 22, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content

Microsoft's Windows operating system includes screen capturing tools, which users may use to take screenshots and do light image editing. While not as sophisticated as other screenshot tools, it is the daily helper app of millions of Windows users when it comes to capturing screen content.

David Buchanan, one of the researchers who discovered a screenshot-related privacy issue on Google Pixel devices, now discovered that the screenshot tools on Windows are also affected by a similar issue.

Buchanan discovered that cropped or redacted Google Pixel screenshots might contain the original unredacted or uncropped image. The restored originals could reveal private information, such as addresses, credit card numbers or other details that users would not want to be availably publicly.

The Windows screenshot tools issue

Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content windows-screenshot-tool-issue.jpg

The Windows screenshot tools are affected by the same underlying issue, but it requires an additional step, which reduces its impact.

According to the researcher, the following steps are required:

1. Capture a screenshot on Windows using the default screen capturing tool of the operating system.
    2. Save the screenshot.
    3. Crop it.
    4. Save it again to the same filename.

If those steps are followed, the contents of the original image may be recovered using a similar technique as the Google Pixel screenshot recovery technique.

The Windows Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch are affected by the issue. Windows users can do a quick test to verify that screenshots are affected on their systems: compare the file size of the original screenshot saved to disk with the file size of its cropped version. Even if the cropped screenshot is much smaller than the original, it should have the same size on disk; this indicates that the original image data is still stored in the file and that it may be recovered.

Bleeping Computer provides a bit of technical background on the issue. According to the site, Microsoft's screenshot tools do not truncate PNG images correctly. PNG is the default file format that the screenshot tools use on Windows when images are saved.

Closing Words

Windows users who have used the default screen capturing tools in the past may be affected by the issue. Whether that is a problem or not depends on the individual case. Screenshots may contain all sorts of information that their creators may not want to become public knowledge. Cropping images is one of the options to remove information from screenshots, and this could lead to the issue.

There is little that affected users may do, especially if affected images were uploaded to the Internet or shared. Some may have control over the uploads or shares, and may delete them.

Now You: what is your take on this?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 22, 2023

2. Crop tool Photos App not working

Thank you for the information.

To help us isolate this further, kindly provide us the following information.

• What changes have you made prior to this issue?
    • To which program are you exactly using the crop tool? Photos App or Office 2016?
    • You mentioned crop tool is not working properly when Photos App is used. Have you tried to close it, and check if the issue persists?

If you are only experiencing the issue with Office 2016, kindly run the repair Office application by referring to the steps listed on this

link

However, if you are encountering it with Photos App only, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for Windows apps through this

link

Looking forward to your response.

Jhessica Sur, Mar 22, 2023
  3. How to import, crop and save-as-image a screenshot?

I find certain aspects of the Windows 10 Pictures app confounding.

I see that I can import a photo from a connected device, but how can I import a screenshot from my clipboard? I often want to import, crop and save-as-image screenshots. Is there a way to do this with the Windows Pictures app?

almadenmike, Mar 22, 2023
  4. JimWynne Win User

How to crop image like this...

Your image didn't appear.

JimWynne, Mar 22, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content - Similar Threads - Screenshot Tools may

2. Snipping tool turns gray to take screenshot, and my screenshot is also gray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping tool turns gray to take screenshot, and my screenshot is also gray: I don't know if anyone else is having this issue. When I use snipping tool to take a screenshot, it turns the screen gray which I know is normal. However, my screenshot is ALSO this gray screen and I can't figure out why this is happening, nor can I fix it. I have...
  3. Snipping tool turns gray to take screenshot, and my screenshot is also gray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snipping tool turns gray to take screenshot, and my screenshot is also gray: I don't know if anyone else is having this issue. When I use snipping tool to take a screenshot, it turns the screen gray which I know is normal. However, my screenshot is ALSO this gray screen and I can't figure out why this is happening, nor can I fix it. I have...
  4. Microsoft has a fix for the Windows screenshot tool leak issue

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft has a fix for the Windows screenshot tool leak issue: Microsoft has released a new version of the Snipping Tool for Windows that fixes potential leaks of original images after cropping them. The issue originated on Google Pixel devices on Android, but the researchers discovered that screenshot tools on Windows could also leak...
  5. Windows users, your cropped images may not be private

in Windows 10 News
    Windows users, your cropped images may not be private: Have you heard about the recent discovery made by researchers regarding the Pixel's cropping tool? They found out that the tool did not fully remove the data that was deleted and that the deleted portions of the image could still be accessed with some effort. Now, one of the...
  6. Windows Screenshot tool copies image only in .png format

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Screenshot tool copies image only in .png format: Is there any way to copy the screenshot in jpeg format without saving it? Right now if you just press copy one you captured something it will copy an uncompressed png file, which is not very efficient for fast screenshot sharing. submitted by /u/voltuzz [link] [comments]...
  7. How can I take a screenshot of an image on the desktop without the background image also...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I take a screenshot of an image on the desktop without the background image also...: When pressing windows key & print screen keys I get a capture of the background on half the screen and a screen capture in the left upper corner of the desktop. How can I go back to before when the capture was of the entire desktop without the background?...
  8. Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app: How to: Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app How to Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app The Photos app included in Windows 10 is a universal app that allows you to enjoy, organize, edit, and share all your digital memories. It brings together photos and videos from all...
  9. Windows 10 Build 10537 Screenshots Leaked

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 10537 Screenshots Leaked: Microsoft is expected to release new Windows 10 builds for Windows Insiders anytime soon, but as usual, the company doesn’t provide any timing information to make sure that no missed deadlines happen in case it comes across bugs that need more work. In the meantime,...
  10. Windows 9 Screenshots Leaked

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Screenshots Leaked: Windows 9 Preview will be released for download later this month, but the very first screenshots showing the upcoming build in action are already here. As you can see for yourselves by browsing the screenshots in the gallery, the preview build of Windows 9 indeed includes...