Windows 10: Windows Script Hoist - no script engine for file extension .js

Discus and support Windows Script Hoist - no script engine for file extension .js in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Home on a HP i3 laptop. Just recently I have started receiving an error pop-up which says "Windows Script Host - There is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeEllis, Jan 24, 2017.

1. MikeEllis Win User

Windows Script Hoist - no script engine for file extension .js

I am using Windows 10 Home on a HP i3 laptop.

Just recently I have started receiving an error pop-up which says "Windows Script Host - There is no script engine for file extension ".js"".

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when the error appears, but it is quite frequent.
    I found one Windows 10 online post which said that I needed to have java installed. I can confirm that java is fully installed.
    I have found other forum posts which relate to version of Windows before Windows 10 but none of these help.

Can anyone shed any light onto what this error might be with Windows 10?.

:)

MikeEllis, Jan 24, 2017

2. Settings doesn't launch on windows 10 - My Fix

Hello,

Thank you for sharing the information to solve the issue regarding unable to open the Settings. This might help other Community members who are facing the same issue.

Windows Script Host (WSH) enables scripts to be run directly in Windows by double-clicking a script file or by typing the name of a script file at a command prompt. Like Microsoft Internet Explorer, WSH serves as a controller of ActiveX scripting engines.
    WSH has very low memory requirements and is ideal for both interactive and non-interactive scripting needs (such as logon scripting and administrative scripting).

WSH supports scripts written in Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) or JavaScript. When you start a script, the scripting host reads and passes the specified script file contents to the registered script engine. The scripting engine uses
    file extensions (.vbs for VBScript; .js for JavaScript) to identify the script instead of using the SCRIPT tag (used in HTML). Because of this, the script writer does not have to be familiar with the exact programmatic ID (ProgID) of various script engines.
    The script host itself maintains a mapping of script extensions to ProgIDs and uses the Windows association model to start the appropriate engine for a given script.

There are two versions of WSH: a Windows-based version (Wscript.exe) that provides Windows-based properties for setting script properties, and a command prompt-based version (Cscript.exe) that provides command-line switches for setting script properties.
    You can run either of these versions by typing "wscript.exe" or "cscript.exe" at a command prompt.

In earlier versions of Windows, the only native scripting language supported was the MS-DOS command language. Although MS-DOS is fast and small, it has limited features compared to VBScript and JavaScript. ActiveX scripting architecture allows users to take
    advantage of these powerful scripting languages, while still providing support for MS-DOS command scripts.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 24, 2017
  3. Up on start up Windows Scrip Host error can not find script file "C\WINDOWS\run.vbs".

Hi Inderjit,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

It could be due to some programs running in the background.

Windows Script Host supports scripts written in VBScript or JScript. When you start a script from your desktop or from the command prompt, the script host reads and passes the specified script file contents to the registered script engine. The script engine
    uses file extensions (that is, .vbs for VBScript and .js for JScript) to identify the script. As a result, you do not need to know the exact programmatic identifier (that is, the ProgID) of the script engine. The script host maintains a mapping of script extensions
    to programmatic identifiers, and uses the Windows XP association model to start the appropriate engine for a given script. For more information about Windows Script Host, see

Windows Script Host

Try to place the system in Clean Boot.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Run.

Type msconfig. Click OK.

Then follow the steps from 3-7 for Windows 8.1 in the link below.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

Please get back to us with the results to assist you further.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 24, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum .js will be JavaScript not Java

Samuria, Jan 24, 2017
  5. MikeEllis Win User
    Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, Javascript.......but any ideas what is causing the Windows Script Host error?.

MikeEllis, Jan 24, 2017
  6. PJLLB Win User
    Something on your computer is trying to run a script. That is NOT a good thing unless you know exactly what it is!

PJLLB, Jan 24, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
Thema:

1. Windows Script Hoist - no script engine for file extension .js - Similar Threads - Script Hoist script

2. Windows script host error for .js file keeps popping up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows script host error for .js file keeps popping up.: Hello all,I keep getting this message. I've gotten this message since I got my desktop over the summer. I've tried Malwarebytes and my own antivirus to make sure that there's no malware on my computer that this error message could be related to. I've also tried...
  3. Windows script host error for .js file keeps popping up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows script host error for .js file keeps popping up.: Hello all,I keep getting this message. I've gotten this message since I got my desktop over the summer. I've tried Malwarebytes and my own antivirus to make sure that there's no malware on my computer that this error message could be related to. I've also tried...
  4. PowerShell script for recursively adding a specific extension to files that have no extension

PowerShell script for recursively adding a specific extension to files that have no extension: I have the below PowerShell script to add ".dcm" to any files found in subfolders that do not have an extension. However, when it is run, I get an error for all of the files found that says:Rename-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '+'.At...
  5. onedrive script error ConvergedSA_Core_HT3ZbdZtcVBGScpsV05Mbw2.js

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive script error ConvergedSA_Core_HT3ZbdZtcVBGScpsV05Mbw2.js: For now more than 3 months, when I try to long into my onedrive vault directly from my vault folder in the windows explorer, after entering the confirmation code, I get the below script error on line 0...
  6. onedrive script error ConvergedSA_Core_HT3ZbdZtcVBGScpsV05Mbw2.js

onedrive script error ConvergedSA_Core_HT3ZbdZtcVBGScpsV05Mbw2.js: For now more than 3 months, when I try to long into my onedrive vault directly from my vault folder in the windows explorer, after entering the confirmation code, I get the below script error on line 0...
  7. script file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    script file: error message on boot up can not find script file c:\Users\bunny\AppData\Roaming\edit.use.vbs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/script-file/44f7a714-d6a5-4a6e-ae26-adcbe81d6e4b
  8. script files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    script files: Why do I keep getting a warning box pop up every time I logon saying: can not find script file "C:\ProgramData\Lenovo-14391.vbs" and how do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/script-files/c72ec7b0-15ca-4694-8689-ad988dbfe884
  9. Script file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Script file: I keep on receiving a Windows script file error saying cannot find script file C:\ness\miner\windows1.vbs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/script-file/b269b29f-db3e-4c0b-8f89-038610600d2c
  10. Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability: A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the way that the scripting engine handles objects in memory in Internet Explorer. The vulnerability could corrupt memory in such a way that an attacker could execute arbitrary code in the context of the current user. An attacker...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant find script engine jscript for script .js

2. carnt find script hoist

3. there is no script engine for file extension .js windows10