Windows 10: Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

Discus and support Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I disable the setting "allow contents on this drive to be indexed" does it impact the windows search feature? My C drive is an SSD. I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rinconmike, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

If I disable the setting "allow contents on this drive to be indexed" does it impact the windows search feature?

My C drive is an SSD. I have been having issues with windows explorer being very slow on all drive so been researching possible issues.

I came across that I should disable "allow contents on this drive to be indexed" on an SSD and am curious if that impacts Windows Search or if windows search is a different indexing. Since I have my files stored on another drive, it may not be a big deal to disable this on my C Drive since I have no contents under by C drive that I need to search. I also have no locations on my C drive set to be indexed under the indexing options in control panel.

thanks,

Mike

:)

rinconmike, Feb 17, 2019

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Dalmango Win User
    Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

1. Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed - Similar Threads - Search allow contents

2. Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search: Google Drive is now mapped to "G Drive" and listed in Explorer. Google Drive is mirrored on my computer.I want Windows to index the Google Drive files so I can use Windows search for my Google Drive, but I cannot add G drive to the Included Locations.Any insights,...
  3. Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search: Google Drive is now mapped to "G Drive" and listed in Explorer. Google Drive is mirrored on my computer.I want Windows to index the Google Drive files so I can use Windows search for my Google Drive, but I cannot add G drive to the Included Locations.Any insights,...
  4. Indexing Google Drive in Windows for Windows Search

in Cortana
  5. Windows Search is not indexing file contents and is continually pausing -- any solutions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search is not indexing file contents and is continually pausing -- any solutions?: I'm now having two problems with Windows Search. The newer problem, which is why I created this post, is that Search is no longer returning files whose contents have the search term -- it's just returning the files where the term is in the file properties. To test this, i...
  6. Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents: Hello, I think I have hit the limit of my knowledge with an issue I'm hitting and figured I would share in case anyone has any insights! I'm currently running Windows 10.0.19042 on this machine. I am using the Windows Search Index in a powershell script in order to help with...
  7. I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents: I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1052. I save emails and word documents that apply to projects in a folder for the given project. When I go to search on a keyword or phrase that I know appears in at least some of the documents and emails, I get nothing. I...
  8. File search indexing seems to NOT include contents

in Cortana
    File search indexing seems to NOT include contents: Hello, again, and thank you for reading my post. When I had a WindowsXP PC, it was pretty easy to search a folder and its subfolders, too based on the contents of the files therein such as by asking for a search based on a keyword or other text string. However, with my...
  9. Network Search: NO "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed" checkbox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Search: NO "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed" checkbox: I cannot search my NAS device with Windows 10. This is absolutely critical as I have a research database located on that device, as well as built-in redundancy. I have my old Windows 7 computer still in service JUST to search the network. Every internal answer to "how to...
  10. Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows: How to: Allow File Contents and Properties to be Indexed on a Drive in Windows How to Turn On or Off Indexing Contents and Properties of Files on a Drive in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file types (extensions), file properties, and file...