Windows 10: Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they...

Discus and support Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; The apps include photos, media player, films & tv and snip & sketch. After few minutes of trying to open a file the message " the file is write... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AshishApkari11, May 13, 2024.

1. Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they...

The apps include photos, media player, films & tv and snip & sketch. After few minutes of trying to open a file the message " the file is write protected" is displayed. I had to change all default apps to third party apps and they have no problem opening any file.Coming to search, the cursor is visible but no amount of typing does anything.Snip and sketch just displays its logo and nothing ever happens. It's precursor snipping tool is no longer available, or if it is, I can't find it as search is not working either.I uninstalled updates from 2024 to see if it were any updates that were

:)

AshishApkari11, May 13, 2024

2. Make Photo Moto default photo app?

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Sorry to know that the issue persists. I suggest you to search for it in Search and pin it to Start Menu.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Go to search and type Photo Moto app. Right-click on it to pin it to Start menu.
    • Go to Search. Type Settings. Click on it open.
    • Click on System. Click on Default apps. Then follow the instructions from the link below to set Photo Moto as default app for Photos.
    Choose the apps Windows uses by default:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/choose-programs-windows-uses-default

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 13, 2024
  3. Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 13, 2024
  4. Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they...

Windows default apps not working

Hi Frank,

Thank you for responding with the required information.

Do confirm to us with the status of this issue after deploying the above troubleshooting steps?

Also, try the below troubleshooting steps and check with the status of the issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if the system Date, time and Time zone
    is set correct.

Follow the steps to set the date and time:

• Type Date and Time in the search bar.
    • Click Change date and time button.
    • Click Apply and Ok to save the date and time.
    Note: Click on the Time Zone tab to check the Time Zone.

Method 2: I suggest you to
    run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter and check.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter, troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search next to start on the desktop.

• Click on View All on left side and select
      Windows Store Apps.

• Select Advance and click on
      Run as Administrator

• Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps. We will be happy to help you further if the issue persists.

Deepika Gowda, May 13, 2024
Thema:

Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they...

1. Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they... - Similar Threads - search default apps

2. Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search and default apps haven't been working for months. The apps start but they...: The apps include photos, media player, films & tv and snip & sketch. After few minutes of trying to open a file the message " the file is write protected" is displayed. I had to change all default apps to third party apps and they have no problem opening any file.Coming to...
  3. I haven't been able to connect to the OneDrive app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I haven't been able to connect to the OneDrive app: I haven't been able to connect to the OneDrive app for several days now. However, through the Web interface the connection occurs normally. Also, if you disconnect the OneDrive application from this user and connect it again, the connection occurs normally, but after...
  4. I haven't been able to connect to the OneDrive app

I haven't been able to connect to the OneDrive app: I haven't been able to connect to the OneDrive app for several days now. However, through the Web interface the connection occurs normally. Also, if you disconnect the OneDrive application from this user and connect it again, the connection occurs normally, but after...
  5. Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work

Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work: Hi,Search for apps in Start menu doesn't work as can be seen in the image below:Any advice will be appreciated.Regards, Jose luis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-for-apps-in-start-menu-doesnt-work/fbf8109f-6d03-47a4-a980-be3f38b6a81e
  6. Some keys on keyboard won't work, and haven't been for months

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some keys on keyboard won't work, and haven't been for months: I run a Windows Ten 64-bit Dell G7 7588 laptop. For months, I've experienced problems with the following keys: Q, A, Z, Tab, Tilde, and Escape. At first, they would only fail to work occasionally, with failures becoming more and more common as time went on until being...
  7. Some keys on keyboard won't work, and haven't been for months

Some keys on keyboard won't work, and haven't been for months: I run a Windows Ten 64-bit Dell G7 7588 laptop. For months, I've experienced problems with the following keys: Q, A, Z, Tab, Tilde, and Escape. At first, they would only fail to work occasionally, with failures becoming more and more common as time went on until being...
  8. Some keys on keyboard won't work, and haven't been for months

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps: When I upgraded to Windows 11, the search function on my PC stopped working regularly. The search could no longer find most of my documents. I managed to fix that problem by re-indexing thru search settings. But I still have a problem where, when I open Microsoft Office files...
  10. Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps

Windows Search Not Remembering Default Apps: When I upgraded to Windows 11, the search function on my PC stopped working regularly. The search could no longer find most of my documents. I managed to fix that problem by re-indexing thru search settings. But I still have a problem where, when I open Microsoft Office files...