Windows 10: Windows Search Bar doesn't search in files contents

Discus and support Windows Search Bar doesn't search in files contents in Cortana to solve the problem; Many times per day in my work i need to search for files containing some word. I have windows indexing service running and up untill approx. 15 - 20... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Vas.ili.s, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Vas.ili.s Win User

Windows Search Bar doesn't search in files contents

Many times per day in my work i need to search for files containing some word. I have windows indexing service running and up untill approx. 15 - 20 ago everything worked as it should.

I mean i press the windows key in my keyboard, i start writing the word that i' m looking for and windows search box populate a list of files containg this word in file name and/or file contents.

Now this functions is broken. I mean i cannot search from windows search bar for files containing a specific word. Althought i still can search for files containing the requested word from explorer search box. So i understand that the indexing service working but for some reason the search box doesn't "searching" anymore in file contents.

This is really frustrating beacause i use this function many times each day and now for the same result i must open an explorer windows -> move the mouse to search box -> and the start typing.

Please is there any way to fix this?

Thank you

:)

Vas.ili.s, Nov 12, 2020

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Nov 12, 2020
  3. Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check Windows 10 search is able to search the file in OneDrive folder.

1. Press Windows + I key to launch
      Windows Settings
    2. Select Cortana and click
      Permissions & History
      from the left pane.
    3. Toggle the Windows Cloud Search switch to
      On, which present under Cloud Search.
    4. Restart the page and then initiate Windows Search.

However, we do have a dedicated support team for OneDrive related queries, you can get in touch with them for further assistance. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Windows Search Bar doesn't search in files contents

Windows 10 won't search file content

Hi Diadochos,

I appreciate your efforts.

It could be due to corrupt system files or missing updates or software changes.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

I suggest you to run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter and check.

1. Type Troubleshooting in the search bar and open it.

2. Click on "View all" on the left pane.

3. Run the "Search and Indexing troubleshooter" troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Then try to re-build the indexing.

• Right-click on Start Menu. Click on Control Panel.
    • Click on Indexing options.
    • Click on Advanced. Click on Rebuild.
    • Click/tap on OK.
    • You will notice the index being rebuilt. Click/tap on
      Close.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Search. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows Search Bar doesn't search in files contents

1. Windows Search Bar doesn't search in files contents - Similar Threads - Search Bar doesn't

2. Windows search bar content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search bar content: How would you change what appears when you click the search icon on the task bar? Is it even possible?I really could not care less about "suggested", "quick searches" or "top apps". I just want to click the magnifying glass and have a small text box where I can type what I am...
  3. Windows search bar content

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search bar content: How would you change what appears when you click the search icon on the task bar? Is it even possible?I really could not care less about "suggested", "quick searches" or "top apps". I just want to click the magnifying glass and have a small text box where I can type what I am...
  4. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  5. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  6. Searching contents of files

7. Windows Search and file content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search and file content: I have been using Windows since Windows 95, and never found the Windows Search useful. On Linux, you can just run a "grep" command and find files with the content you search for, but the Windows Search GUI almost never finds even key-names in JSON files. Why can it just...
  8. Windows Search and file content

Windows Search and file content: I have been using Windows since Windows 95, and never found the Windows Search useful. On Linux, you can just run a "grep" command and find files with the content you search for, but the Windows Search GUI almost never finds even key-names in JSON files. Why can it just...
  9. Search bar doesn't search internet

in Cortana
    Search bar doesn't search internet: The Search bar/button next to the Start menu button no longer searches the internet, only local files and settings. Until recently I used to be able to type in something to search for and it would search my local computer AND the the internet. Did something change that...
  10. File Explorer doesn't search on file contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer doesn't search on file contents: I can't get File Explorer to search on file contents using Windows 10 Pro. I have checked all the search settings I am aware of without success....