Windows 10: Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

Discus and support Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader. in Cortana to solve the problem; Dear all,I have a very frustrating issue on Windows 11 latest build and previous ones. Some premises:I have OneDrive installed on my PC and I work on... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by mrbuggatore, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

Dear all,I have a very frustrating issue on Windows 11 latest build and previous ones. Some premises:I have OneDrive installed on my PC and I work on files saved there;Adobe Reader is the default app to open PDFs;Adobe Reader actually opens PDFs when they're launched from Windows Explorer and It also does so if the folder I'm exploring is a OneDrive one.Unfortunately, when I use the Windows Search bar to look up for PDFs saved on OneDrive literally the same that I mentioned before, they open in EDGE.There is no option to open in Adobe Reader, nor is possible to right click on the search re

:)

mrbuggatore, Mar 12, 2023

2. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

Hi, my name is Kelly, and I'm an independent consultant and I'm here to help.

To make sure that PDF files always open in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of the browser, you can try the following steps:

Open Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Go to Edit > Preferences.

In the Categories section on the left, select "General".

Under "Basic Tools", click on "Select Default PDF Handler".

Select "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" from the list and click "Apply".

If the above steps don't work, you can try the following:

Right-click on a PDF file in Windows Explorer.

Select "Open With" and then "Choose another app".

Select "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" from the list and check the box that says "Always use this app to open .pdf files".

Click "OK".

If the issue persists, you may want to check your browser settings to make sure that it is not set to open PDF files in the browser by default. Here's how to do it for some common browsers:

Microsoft Edge:

Open Edge and click on the three dots in the upper right corner.

Select "Settings" and then "Cookies and site permissions".

Scroll down to "PDF documents" and toggle off the switch.

Google Chrome:

Open Chrome and type "chrome://settings/content/pdfDocuments" into the address bar.

Toggle off "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome".

Mozilla Firefox:

Open Firefox and type "aboutWindows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader. :preferences" into the address bar.

Click on "Applications" in the left-hand menu.

Scroll down to "Portable Document Format (PDF)" and select "Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (in Firefox)" from the dropdown.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

kelly Lopes1, Mar 12, 2023
  3. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

Hello Kelly,

Thank you for your quick response.

I followed all your steps, but it didn't change anything:

1. I followed the steps for the settings in Acrobat Reader. Basically I think it is the same as setting the default app in the Windows Settings, but I tried it all the same. However it didn't resolve the issue.
    2. To change the default app using the properties of a file is usually the first thing I do. In the properties it shows that it should open PDF file with Acrobat reader.
    3. In Edge The PDF option a second pane with 2 options: "Always download PDF files" and "PDF view settings". Both options are on.
    4. In Chrome I would assume the setting you mention should be toggled on. In my Chrome browser I have two options which are mutually exclusive: "Download PDF' s" and "Open PDF's in Chrome". The setting "Download PDF' s" is active.
    5. In Firefox I changed the setting, but it did not resolve the issue.
    Do you have any other suggestions?

Axel van Moorsel dVB, Mar 12, 2023
  4. Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

If you have already tried all the steps I provided and the issue persists, you may want to try the following:

Uninstall and reinstall Adobe Acrobat Reader to ensure that it is properly installed.

Check if there are any updates available for your web browser and Adobe Acrobat Reader, and make sure that both are up to date.

Try using a different web browser to see if the issue is specific to one browser.

Disable any browser extensions that could be causing conflicts with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Check if there are any third-party PDF viewers or plugins installed on your computer that could be interfering with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If there are, try disabling or uninstalling them.

If none of these steps work, you may want to contact Adobe support or your web browser's support for further assistance.

kelly Lopes1, Mar 12, 2023
Thema:

Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

1. Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader. - Similar Threads - Search bar opens

2. Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser: Recently, I've noticed that when I right-click on a file and select "Open file location" in File Explorer, Windows does not open it in File Explorer as it used to, but it launches my default browser and opens this folder in the OneDrive Web App. I have no idea how to set it...
  3. Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser: Recently, I've noticed that when I right-click on a file and select "Open file location" in File Explorer, Windows does not open it in File Explorer as it used to, but it launches my default browser and opens this folder in the OneDrive Web App. I have no idea how to set it...
  4. Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.: Dear all,I have a very frustrating issue on Windows 11 latest build and previous ones. Some premises:I have OneDrive installed on my PC and I work on files saved there;Adobe Reader is the default app to open PDFs;Adobe Reader actually opens PDFs when they're launched from...
  5. Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search bar opens OneDrive-located PDFs in the browser instead that in Adobe Reader.: Dear all,I have a very frustrating issue on Windows 11 latest build and previous ones. Some premises:I have OneDrive installed on my PC and I work on files saved there;Adobe Reader is the default app to open PDFs;Adobe Reader actually opens PDFs when they're launched from...
  6. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser: I have set Acrobat Reader as default application to open PDF files.When I double-click a PDF file in Windows explorer this works. It also works when I open PDF file in my OneDrive folder using Windows Explorer.However: when I go online to my OneDrive folder and click it, it...
  7. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser: I have set Acrobat Reader as default application to open PDF files.When I double-click a PDF file in Windows explorer this works. It also works when I open PDF file in my OneDrive folder using Windows Explorer.However: when I go online to my OneDrive folder and click it, it...
  8. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Open PDFs in Chrome when searching in windows search bar.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open PDFs in Chrome when searching in windows search bar.: When I search for a pdf in the windows search bar and click it, it opens the PDF in Microsoft edge instead of chrome. I have chrome as my default browser and chrome as the default app by file type already. How can I get the file to open in chrome? submitted by...
  10. Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search opens oneDrive files in the browser instead locally: Files on demand is turned on so I don't why this is still an issue. If I browse the oneDrive folder in Explorer then the files open locally. Windows search shows the following field: Location OneDrive:\<NAME\_OF\_FOLDER> submitted by /u/YasZedOP [link] [comments]...