Windows 10: Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

Discus and support Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour in Cortana to solve the problem; Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it gets the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by BryanKim1, Nov 4, 2020.

1. BryanKim1 Win User

Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane.

I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it gets the job done and sometimes it does not.

One example of problem: https://streamable.com/c5tlkq

I turn on my laptop, press Win, and type in "edge".

Sometimes, the application "Microsoft Edge" properly shows as Best Match.

Sometimes, the setting "Smooth the edges of images and text" is the Best Match.

Sometimes, a Web Search for "edge" is the Best Match.

Sometimes, "edg" produces Microsoft Edge as Best Match and adding the "e" at the end resorts to a Web Search shown in video.

What is causing this and how can I fix this? I just want to open Microsoft Edge every time I enter "edge" into the search bar.

:)

BryanKim1, Nov 4, 2020

2. Surface Pro 3 - Erratic cursor and window behaviour

I experience intermittent erratic cursor behaviour on my Surface Pro 3. Any open windows also reduce in size and expand again. I keep the computer updated and have switched locations to avoid any external interference.

I've read various reports on Touchscreen drives and updates etc but nothing seems to cure this erratic behaviour. Any suggestions?

Joe McDonnell (joe), Nov 4, 2020
  3. sad-icus Win User
    Win 10 Pro erratic strange behaviour

Win 10 Pro v1703 OSB 15063.296 all app and software drivers are current.

Tablet mode is disabled = "always ask before switching"

Only a complete restart helps, and sometimes win 10 works as expected for a few hours, then the erratic behaviour comes back.

Login and after sitting idle 30min:

• Desktop icons some lose their text.
    • LM click + drag on any desktop icon = duplicate icon
    • RM = no menu
    • Typing into web browser = open random menu

sad-icus, Nov 4, 2020
  4. Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

Erratic behaviour of smart quotes in Windows 10

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    This issue might appear due to the incompatible drivers in your system. I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it resolves the issue.

Method: 1

I would suggest you to run a hardware & devices troubleshooter.

• Press “Windows key + X” and type “troubleshooting”.

• Select “Troubleshooting”.

• Select “View all” on the top left corner.

• Click “Hardware & Sound”.

• Click “Hardware & devices”.

• Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter
    Method: 2

Visit manufacturer's website and install updates for drivers.

Let’s try updating the driver for the mouse and keyboard and verify the results. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and X key together and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the Key board device icon. Right click on the driver icon.

• Select Update driver software.

• Select "browse my computer for a driver software".

• Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

• Select the driver option according your device model and installed.

• If this does not work, follow the steps from ‘a’ to ‘c’ and select “Search automatically for the updated driver”.

• Choose the same steps to update the driver for keyboard as well.

Check if it resolves the issue. If not, I would suggest you to download and install the latest available drivers for the keyboard from manufacturer website of the laptop. If the issue still persists, install the driver in Windows Compatibility mode
    and check if that helps.

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

1. Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour - Similar Threads - Search Best Match

2. Broken links in "Best Match" search results

in Cortana
    Broken links in "Best Match" search results: Hi,For a long time now I've had problems with search in Windows 10. I'm currently on build 18363. I have web results turned off via gpe and I do not want to use Cortana.The issue: Searching in the task bar often returns dead links. Even for MS Edge. It looks something like...
  3. Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Posted on Microsoft Community, but all I got was "update your system", "run the troubleshooter", and "run sfc". Here's my problem: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it...
  4. Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour: All or any of the following situations can happened when I try to put my computer either in sleep or hibernate mode. The computer seldom enters and stays in sleeping or hibernate mode until I awake it; The computer enters in sleeping or hibernate, stays for from a few...
  5. Best match not showing after searching for anything

in Cortana
    Best match not showing after searching for anything: Hey, all of the sudden when I search for anything on the search bar it stopped showing the result for best match, I used to be able for example to type in "calc" and it would show the calculator and I just needed to press enter to open it, now I need to manually click on it...
  6. Erratic, jerky mouse behaviour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Erratic, jerky mouse behaviour: I'm using a Microsoft Windows wireless mouse with a Surface Pro. It's behaved perfectly until recently, when it suddenly has become erratic and jerky so I have difficulty in selecting icons, text, etc. I have cleaned my mouse thoroughly, replaced the batteries, powered it...
  7. Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour: Rather than add to the very long discussion threads on the subject of Windows Spotlight, I'm starting another to ask others whether they are experiencing Spotlight behaving erratically of late. Following problems some time ago with Spotlight not downloading and showing new...
  8. Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match": Within the last couple of days, Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would be at the top of the best match results. Now I type "scree", and it gives me the Best Match of Screenshot (181).png, and it...
  9. Delete key erratic behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete key erratic behaviour: I am embarrassed to bring this up because win 10 is such an incredible and smooth experience with all the cortona stuff and your applications getting blocked by windows for your protection. I was on a night shift all alone and i was sort of half conscious installing my apps...
  10. Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings...

in Windows 10 Support
    Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings...: I have set my computer to go into standby after 30 minutes of inactivity (battery) or 45 minutes (power), but it is going into standby after 2 or 3 minutes. The screensaver is set to start after 30 minutes. I think I've double-checked every possibile option. I recently had...